PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply + Fans

snowmanwithahat
09-05-06, 07:27 PM
Hey everyone, i'm looking for a good power supply for a build i'm doing soon, it'll most likely consist of a low-end to midgrade video card (7300GS or 7600 GS) and it will also be powering a Conroe core, possibly a E6600, it won't need alot, so i'm thinking somewhere in the 400-500w range for power supplies, could you guys point me towards some good ones that are decently quiet

i'm also looking for some fans, 4x80mm actually, they will be used in this system as well and need to be as quiet as possibly, but i don't know too much about fans... could some of you point me towards a good brand that has some quiet blue LED fans?

i'm now leaning towards an Antec Truepower 480w, and suggestions on fans though would be welcome

crainger
09-05-06, 07:47 PM
The Antec should be a good choise. Any Antec with a 12cm fan are reasonable quiet (except the Neo Power 480) the Neo HE series with 8cm fan are also extremely quiet.

I would go with a Seasonic though for optimal silence and efficiency.

As for the fans, Panaflo are amoung the best, though I have found the Antec Tricool series very quiet which is handy if you want LED fans.

Stay away from any PSU or case fan with Dual Ball Bearing, even if they say they are silent they will be noiser than any sleeve bearing or liquid bearing fan.

Q
09-05-06, 08:18 PM
I would go with a Seasonic though for optimal silence and efficiency.

As for the fans, Panaflo are amoung the best, though I have found the Antec Tricool series very quiet which is handy if you want LED fans.

QFT

Add in an Antec P180 Black, an aftermarket video and CPU cooler, and your set for sweet, silent bliss.

Starscream
09-05-06, 09:34 PM
If you want quiet stuff go with Zalman.

http://www.zalmanusa.com

spoop
09-05-06, 11:00 PM
Another vote for a Seasonic S12 430 or 500 and Antec Tricools.:)

snowmanwithahat
09-07-06, 03:48 PM
thanks guys, i think i've narrowed it down to the antec, and while browsing newegg, i came across this Arctic Cooling fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186111
it looks to be decent so far, variable speed, and even at it's loudest (22dBA) it should be fairly quiet, i'll look up the seasonic psu's to see if i can find a comparible one, thanks for the input.

have any of you ever used those arctic cooling fans?

*EDIT* i just read those fans are 34.5mm thick.... that's quite a bit bigger compared to a normal 25mm thick fan, i don't think it will work in my fan holders :(

snowmanwithahat
09-07-06, 04:07 PM
i've been looking into the seasonic, and i've found a comparible one (price wise) on newegg... however it's a 380w, which puts it at a huge dissadvantge comared to the 480w antec for the same price.... is the seasonic really that much quieter? or should i just go with the Antec

BTW, this will be used in a video editing machine, stability is #1, noise is also a concern but not as much of one, it will be fairly low end too, specs are looking like this

C2D E6600
2gb Patriot DDR2-667
eVGA 7300 GS (graphics power is not a concern)
ASUS 965P mobo
250GB Seagate

so as you can see, it won't be huge power requirements.... that's why i'm thinking the seasonic would work at 380w, however, i don't know if it's worth it compared to the Antec at 480w

crainger
09-07-06, 07:18 PM
IMHO The Antec will be fine. I was running a 480watt True Blue 2 and it was extremely quiet. I couldn't hear it unless I was right beside the case. The fan connectors come in handy for keeping those case fans quiet too.