PDA

View Full Version : No HD cables bundled with any PS3?

Pages : [1] 2 3

saturnotaku
09-05-06, 06:57 PM
Way to go Sony! (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157113.html?action=convert&click=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0)

At least MS gives you component cables with the 360 Premium...and even if you get the Core, the MS-branded component and VGA cables are only $40 a piece, not $100 like the article indicates.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:03 PM
HDMI cables go for $5 on websites like MonoPrice.com.

ENU291
09-05-06, 07:05 PM
Sony has sunk to a new low. For $599 the least they could do is throw in the HDMI cable.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:06 PM
Sony has sunk to a new low. For $599 the least they could do is throw in the HDMI cable.

If one can afford an HDTV and a PS3 one can afford a $5 HDMI cable.

LycosV
09-05-06, 07:10 PM

I don't think that's the point. If I buy a Viper it darn well better have leather seats regardless of whether or not I can afford it.

crainger
09-05-06, 07:10 PM

Yeah but if your like me you ALWAYS forget to buy it at the same time and get home and endup running down to the shops the next moring for a bloody cable. Atleast the girly gets a kick out of my absent mindedness.

EDIT: Are you happy now? Two people quoted you almost at the same time! (*Remembering the ceral thread*)

ENU291
09-05-06, 07:12 PM
Thats not the point. If the additional $100 for the premium PS3 adds an HDMI interface logic would entail that an HDMI cable should be included in the package. Having no high definition cables included with a so called high definition video game console is totally unacceptable. WWST!!!!! (What Was Sony Thinking)

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:13 PM
Yeah but if your like me you ALWAYS forget to buy it at the same time and get home and endup running down to the shops the next moring for a bloody cable. Atleast the girly gets a kick out of my absent mindedness.

You have till November 17 to buy an HDMI cable for your PS3.

Q
09-05-06, 07:14 PM
Yeah, you can buy the cable for $5 ONLINE, if you know where to look, but what about the MILLIONS of people who don't know any better?

They're going to be lucky to spend $20 in a retail store, but more likely $40-50. I know I'd be pissed.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:15 PM
Thats not the point. If the additional $100 for the premium PS3 adds an HDMI interface logic would entail that an HDMI cable should be included in the package. Having no high definition cables included with a so called high definition video game console is totally unacceptable. WWST!!!!! (What Was Sony Thinking)

I understand what your saying but it's not that big of a deal.

It's not like you have to buy a an overpriced proprietary HDMI cable that only works with the PS3. Any HDMI cable will do.

ENU291
09-05-06, 07:16 PM
According to the Gamespot article shops like EB and GameStop will be stocking their shelves with univeral HDMI cables that sell for...get this.... $99!!!

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:16 PM
Yeah, you can buy the cable for $5 ONLINE, if you know where to look, but what about the MILLIONS of people who don't know any better?

Millions of people will not have the intention of buying the premium PS3 bundle and hooking it up with HDMI to their HDTV's.

According to the Gamespot article shops like EB and GameStop will be stocking their shelves with univeral HDMI cables that sell for...get this.... $99!!!

Only a fool would buy an HDMI cable for $99.

ENU291
09-05-06, 07:23 PM
Only a fool would buy an HDMI cable for $99.
Agreed... but I would bet the farm that a good portion of people buying launch PS3s might be fooled into dropping the extra hundred for an HD cable. The least Sony could do is have a aftermarket HDMI cable package avaliable at launch for a reasonable price ($29.99-$39.99)

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:27 PM
Agreed... but I would bet the farm that a good portion of people buying launch PS3s might be fooled into dropping the extra hundred for an HD cable. The least Sony could do is have a aftermarket HDMI cable package avaliable at launch for a reasonable price ($29.99-$39.99)

People that are that foolish and uniformed deserve to pay that high of a premium for an HDMI cable.

Q
09-05-06, 07:29 PM
Millions of people will not have the intention of buying the premium PS3 bundle and hooking it up with HDMI to their HDTV's.

Fair enough, I was a bit over zealous with the millions part. But if its only 1 out of 4 or 5 people who do this, its still kinda ****ty. It's bad business all around for Sony. The hype machine they have going for it is that its going to blow the XBox 360 out of the water in the graphics department. When they get it home and it looks like crap compared to thier friends 360 and they find out its because they didn't get ANY hidef cables with thier system they are going to be pissed as hell.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:32 PM
Fair enough, I was a bit over zealous with the millions part. But if its only 1 out of 4 or 5 people who do this, its still kinda ****ty. It's bad business all around for Sony. The hype machine they have going for it is that its going to blow the XBox 360 out of the water in the graphics department. When they get it home and it looks like crap compared to thier friends 360 and they find out its because they didn't get ANY hidef cables with thier system they are going to be pissed as hell.

Yes, if there's anything I can't stand it's uniformed consumers.

ENU291
09-05-06, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately the uninformed consumer is the majority. You have to admit GamerGuyX, Sony's decision to not include any high definition cables with the premium PS3 package is not going to be a popular one.

Q
09-05-06, 07:40 PM

Again, I have to give it to you there. But just here me out... PARENTS! Right, buying kids the system for XMAS and such. You can't expect them to do that kinda research at that time of the year! :D

Seriously though, the system is being billed as a HiDef system and I think it would be a fair assumption that it would come with some sort of cable that would allow HiDef. My main point is that the system is being hyped for one thing and you're going to have to buy something else to enable its big selling point. As long as there's a big label on the box that "Joe Everyman" can read and understand, I guess that's better. But not everyone is going to research it... I don't know, it just kinda feels like a ripoff.

What if those HD DVD players didn't come with component cables? That wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

crainger
09-05-06, 07:41 PM
You have till November 17 to buy an HDMI cable for your PS3.

IF I buy a PS3 ;)

Even then... I know what I'm like. 2 months is a long time to get distracted by something shiny.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately the uninformed consumer is the majority. You have to admit GamerGuyX, Sony's decision to not include any high definition cables with the premium PS3 package is not going to be a popular one.

Yes but the uniformed consumer will most likely not have the intention of buying the more expensive PS3 model that includes an HDMI output. Let alone already own an HDTV and want to connect it with HDMI.

The one's that do (like me) will know enough to realize that an HDMI cable can be purchased quite cheaply.

Again, I have to give it to you there. But just here me out... PARENTS! Right, buying kids the system for XMAS and such. You can't expect them to do that kinda research at that time of the year! :D

You honestly think that parents purchased their kids an HDTV in preparation for PS3?

IF I buy a PS3 ;)

Even then... I know what I'm like. 2 months is a long time to get distracted by something shiny.

Then you shouldn't blame Sony for your shortcomings.

crainger
09-05-06, 07:56 PM
Yes but the uniformed consumer will most likely have no intention to buy the more expensive PS3 model that includes an HDMI output. Let alone already own an HDTV and want to connect it with HDMI.

The one's that do (like me) will know enough to realize that an HDMI cable can be bought quite cheap.

Then you shouldn't blame Sony for your shortcomings.

The uninformed consumer I know, has a HDTV and the expensive PS3 bundle after being talked into it by the sales person, then takes it home and hooks it up via composite and is none the wiser.

I didn't actually blame anyone. Apart from posting in the thread to begin with I guess.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 08:02 PM
The uninformed consumer I know, has a HDTV and the expensive PS3 bundle after being talked into it by the sales person, then takes it home and hooks it up via composite and is none the wiser.

Why do you assume they are smart enough to connect it with anything other than composite even when an HDMI cable is included?

I didn't actually blame anyone. Apart from posting in the thread to begin with I guess.

So what's the problem? When you buy a PS3 and realize you didn't buy an HDMI cable for it you will know that it was your fault not Sony's.

Marvel_us
09-05-06, 08:07 PM

Well if the sales person is a good one, he'd coax the dumb consumer to buy the $99 cable for his TV, that probably doesn't even have HDMI.:D

crainger
09-05-06, 08:15 PM
Why do you assume they are smart enough to connect it with anything other than composite even when an HDMI cable is included?

I don't. If the cable was included it depends on a number of factors whether the average Joe with use the cable. The manual and the port labeling on the TV and PS3 itself. HDMI is designed to be simple, one cable for Sound and Video.

Really it's not my problem what others do. So I don't care either way.

Though personally, having a quality Sony cable included would be nice. I found their cabling to be amoung the best.

GamerGuyX
09-05-06, 08:17 PM
Though personally, having a quality Sony cable included would be nice. I found their cabling to be amoung the best.

The quality of a cable only really matters for analog cables like component.