PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: DVD/MP3 Player for car

Starscream
09-05-06, 09:51 PM
I'm looking for a drive that play mp3's burnt on dvd's.

I'm sick of the 300+ cd's I have in a binder in my back seat right now and want to switch over to dvd's of mp3's. I don't care about DVD movie playback, in fact I want as plain of an lcd screen on there as possible, preferably something that just shows 3-4 lines of directory structure.

Anybody see anything like this or have any suggestions?

Starscream
09-06-06, 04:03 PM
Surely I can't be the only one who has looked for something like this?

So far the closest thing I've found are these in the head units section:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/series.php?category=AV_HU

Unfortunately they seem to only show one line of text on the displays.

Xion X2
09-06-06, 04:14 PM
You know that you can just hook your MP3 player up to your FM radio these days, right? I haven't tried this and I'm not sure if the quality is just as good as doing what you're suggesting, though, but it sure would be a heck of a lot cheaper to just buy an adapter.

Just thought I would mention that. I spent the last several years on another planet and just discovered MP3 goodness two weeks ago. I would like to have the ability to play my stuff on a car stereo but haven't looked into buying something like you talk about or the adapter thing I mentioned. I might in the near future.

evilghost
09-06-06, 04:36 PM
Get an MP3 player that supports a USB memory stick. Pick up a 4GB USB memory stick for ~$70. You are now the winner.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Kenwood_KDC_MP532U_In_Dash_CD_MP3_Player,__1879 1490/

This deck will even support an external HDD. Get a USB powered laptop 40GB/80GB drive and you are again the winner.

Starscream
09-06-06, 04:41 PM
You know that you can just hook your MP3 player up to your FM radio these days, right?

Yes I do realize that and no the quality from the ones I've heard are definitely NOT as good as having the cd in there or reasonable quality mp3s playing directly in the car stereo. Also I definitely do not want to have an ipod type device bouncing around in the car.

Starscream
09-06-06, 04:43 PM
Get an MP3 player that supports a USB memory stick. Pick up a 4GB USB memory stick for ~$70. You are now the winner.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Kenwood_KDC_MP532U_In_Dash_CD_MP3_Player,__1879 1490/

This deck will even support an external HDD. Get a USB powered laptop 40GB/80GB drive and you are again the winner.

That seems like an interesting product. I'm wary of hard drives in vehicles as my business partner and I have put a computer into his car and he's had a variety of different hard drives (both desktop and laptop drives, assorted manufacturers) go tits up in as little as a month. I'd go so far as to say the roads in our city are the worst of any reasonable sized city in all of Ontario so I definitely do not want a hard drive based solution, and if I were to start going that route I'd just go the whole way and put a computer in the trunk.

evilghost
09-06-06, 04:56 PM
That seems like an interesting product. I'm wary of hard drives in vehicles as my business partner and I have put a computer into his car and he's had a variety of different hard drives (both desktop and laptop drives, assorted manufacturers) go tits up in as little as a month. I'd go so far as to say the roads in our city are the worst of any reasonable sized city in all of Ontario so I definitely do not want a hard drive based solution, and if I were to start going that route I'd just go the whole way and put a computer in the trunk.

Get a 4GB memory stick, it's solid state flashrom. Microdrives are very robust too, I've had my 1GB microdrive in the washer/dryer more than once and it works great.

evilghost
09-06-06, 05:07 PM
http://www.berger-bros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BBCVD&Product_Code=EZPB180-H20 looks viable.

Starscream
09-06-06, 10:27 PM
Unless it's solid state I'm not interested.

I'll have at minimum 50 full dvd's of music in the car also so those 4 gig micro drives also aren't good enough.

I've found a JVC player locally that might be reasonable. It's only got 1 line of text on the lcd though. I'm considering testing it out and if I don't like it returning it.

crainger
09-06-06, 10:42 PM
50 full DVD of music? at 4.7gb each thats like 235gb give or take!!!

My modest collection is only 30gb :(

What bitrate are you using?

Starscream
09-06-06, 11:14 PM
I rip to mp3 at 320 kbps, real stereo.

crainger
09-06-06, 11:45 PM
Guess that explains it :)