PDA

View Full Version : Is Vista Basic all that is needed for the gamer?

Pixelsmack
09-05-06, 10:30 PM
I have yet to find a nice chart that lists what all the versions offer at a glance. I wonder if this is intentional, heh.

Anyway, I know that Vista Prem says "edit HD, Media Center, Connect to XBOX, etc" I don't care about that stuff.

I want to know if what MS means by being able to view HD content using Vista Prem means some kind of driver issue, something that Vista Basic will not have.

OR

Do they mean "out of the box" Basic won't do it, but you can buy software that will.

If Vista Premium is just MS including all their own, video editing, picture editing and Media Center, blah blah, than I would pass.

I just want to know that I can install a "Vista" that will:

Let me play Vista specific games
Supports 64bit computing via dual-cores, quad cores would be nice
Wifi management (like XP has)
Play HD content whether Windows Codec based or not
Some kind of simpe file sharing (like XP has)

What version do I need?

***UPDATE****

Chart can be found here, although I am still not 100% sure what I need, heh.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=587581&SiteID=17

Thanks!

K007
09-06-06, 03:42 AM
Another question to ask is..will like say Ultimate Vista have more stuff loading up?..ie resources..etc..

garikfox
09-07-06, 02:27 AM
My Current Vista is Ultimate.

But Beta of course.

Yep, The basic Vista will do all and everything you want too mostly.

(LOL, Im still trying to figurie out how to get rid of the dumb fat rectangle double click image thing lol.)

grey_1
09-07-06, 03:41 AM
My Current Vista is Ultimate.

But Beta of course.

Yep, The basic Vista will do all and everything you want too mostly.

(LOL, Im still trying to figurie out how to get rid of the dumb fat rectangle double click image thing lol.)

??? That sounds so odd I just have to ask, huh? :p

K007
09-07-06, 03:46 AM
curse u..dam GX2..the flag ship nvidia card cant run Vista..

saturnotaku
09-07-06, 05:27 AM
Another question to ask is..will like say Ultimate Vista have more stuff loading up?..ie resources..etc..

That's not really relevant as it applies to gaming with Vista because it's designed to unload unnecessary processes when you launch a game, thereby giving the program as many resources as the OS will allow. It remains to be seen how effectively it works, but it's a nifty feature.

crainger
09-07-06, 05:56 AM
??? That sounds so odd I just have to ask, huh? :p

Yeah what the?

I'm trying to figure out what he means. Double click rectangle? Fat?

perhaps the way you have to click flash before it runs in IE7?

LycosV
09-07-06, 08:41 AM
Yeah what the?

I'm trying to figure out what he means. Double click rectangle? Fat?

perhaps the way you have to click flash before it runs in IE7?

That's not a symptom of IE7, it's actually the result of a lawsuit agains Microsoft for stealing code. It happens in IE6 too if you upgrade all of the latest service packs. I looked up more information about it (ex: http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Technology/microsoft-ie-activex-update/) and it's total crap, but they actually won the latest step so Microsoft changed their code to not automatically activate things while they're trying to appeal. My biggest complaint is that the patent is so vague that technically any browser that autoactivates these things infringes but they only went after Microsoft because they have money. They should've filed simultaneously against Microsoft, Apple, etc.

retsam
09-07-06, 10:40 AM
That's not really relevant as it applies to gaming with Vista because it's designed to unload unnecessary processes when you launch a game, thereby giving the program as many resources as the OS will allow. It remains to be seen how effectively it works, but it's a nifty feature.
well since its going to unload resources and ultimate will have more resources to unload, i guess it would be fair to say that games my take longer under ultimate then under the basic version to load up.

rewt
09-07-06, 11:08 AM
That's not really relevant as it applies to gaming with Vista because it's designed to unload unnecessary processes when you launch a game.

But who is to say what is unnecessary or not? And if it's unnecessary, why is it running in the first place?!

saturnotaku
09-07-06, 09:30 PM
But who is to say what is unnecessary or not? And if it's unnecessary, why is it running in the first place?!

Maybe the processes are more necessary to other functions of the OS that can't be run simultaneously with the game? Who knows? Hence why I said "designed to" (love that vague reporter's language). We'll have to see if/how it actually works in practice. ;)

K007
09-08-06, 04:01 AM
Maybe it will just uninstall the OS when u run a game..

crainger
09-08-06, 04:19 AM
So vista will come with a 360 in the box?

rewt
09-08-06, 09:51 AM
We'll have to see if/how it actually works in practice. ;)

I totally agree. Hopefully there will be some way of customizing which processes/services get stopped or not. I imagine so, but like you say we'll just have to wait and see.

garikfox
09-08-06, 11:51 AM
Click a icon on yer desktop, See that big ugly highlighted rectangle, hehee, I cant find anywhere to get rid of it, I think its part of the theme.

Hakaslak
09-08-06, 12:32 PM
You can disable the box by unchecking the "Use drop shadows for icons on desktop" or something...

Right click on Computer
Advanced Settings
Advanced
Performance Options
Scroll to the bottom

Should be there. Just unckeck it. Personnaly, I uncheck everything. DWM.exe hogs like 80 megs for me, so I say screw Aero. Gets old after a while anyways.. Windows Classic FTW!!