PDA

View Full Version : U.S gets 400,000 PS3's, Japan gets 100.000

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
09-06-06, 04:31 AM

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/06/business/AS_FIN_COM_Japan_Sony_PlayStation.php

"We decided to focus on the Japanese and U.S. markets," he said at the gaming unit's Tokyo headquarters. "I am so sorry not to be able to answer to all the expectations."

The company is still sticking to its initial global target of shipping 6 million PlayStation 3 machines by March 2007.

But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

The production problem is causing about a one-month delay that will reduce the company's supply capacity by about a million machines from the original plan, he said.

"We've been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the delay is inevitable," he said.

Kutaragi said other preparation work on the machine was going smoothly, including the "cell" next-generation computer chip. Mass production of the machine is set to start end of September, he said.

Although Sony had initially counted on shipping 4 million PlayStation 3 machines worldwide by the end of the year, that will likely fall to 2 million, he said.

The exact European sales date will be announced later, but it will likely be in the early part of March, he said.

Blu-ray disc is the next-generation video format for the latest DVD recorders and players, but also an essential part of the PlayStation 3.

TOKYO Sony's upgrade video-game console PlayStation 3 will be delayed until March in Europe, but will go on sale in November as planned in the U.S. and Japan, the executive in charge of the project said Wednesday.

The sales delay is caused by a problem in mass producing a key component in the Blu-ray disc laser part of the machine, the next-generation successor to Sony Corp.'s hit PlayStation 2, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Ken Kutaragi told reporters.

"We decided to focus on the Japanese and U.S. markets," he said at the gaming unit's Tokyo headquarters. "I am so sorry not to be able to answer to all the expectations."

The company is still sticking to its initial global target of shipping 6 million PlayStation 3 machines by March 2007.

But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

The production problem is causing about a one-month delay that will reduce the company's supply capacity by about a million machines from the original plan, he said.

"We've been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the delay is inevitable," he said.

Kutaragi said other preparation work on the machine was going smoothly, including the "cell" next-generation computer chip. Mass production of the machine is set to start end of September, he said.

Although Sony had initially counted on shipping 4 million PlayStation 3 machines worldwide by the end of the year, that will likely fall to 2 million, he said.

The exact European sales date will be announced later, but it will likely be in the early part of March, he said.

Blu-ray disc is the next-generation video format for the latest DVD recorders and players, but also an essential part of the PlayStation 3.

TOKYO Sony's upgrade video-game console PlayStation 3 will be delayed until March in Europe, but will go on sale in November as planned in the U.S. and Japan, the executive in charge of the project said Wednesday.

The sales delay is caused by a problem in mass producing a key component in the Blu-ray disc laser part of the machine, the next-generation successor to Sony Corp.'s hit PlayStation 2, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Ken Kutaragi told reporters.

"We've been working hard to try to tackle the problem, but we see the delay is inevitable," he said

PeterJensen
09-06-06, 04:35 AM
Game over man, Game over man (To quote Aliens) :D

russ_3d
09-06-06, 05:16 AM
thats a helluva rubbish release date for me - 4-5 months difference?:(

i thought that might have thrown my ebay plans out the window but now im sure ill get a lot more due to the shortage in the uk

anyone know anything about the localisation of games? im guessing its still here :/

brady
09-06-06, 05:58 AM
Holy Crap!!! Now I really need to snatch a PS3. They are going to sell for zillions on ebay. (nana2)

russ_3d
09-06-06, 05:59 AM
im wondering how i can get one from the usa, any ideas on a company that would ship?

brady
09-06-06, 06:10 AM
im wondering how i can get one from the usa, any ideas on a company that would ship?

I'll ship you one...:D It'll cost you though! HAHAHA :firedevil

ENU291
09-06-06, 06:56 AM
The Ebay vultures are going to have a field day with this. I honesty feel bad for anyone that is willing but will be unable to buy a PS3 at launch.

Bad_Boy
09-06-06, 06:59 AM
The Ebay vultures are going to have a field day with this. I honesty feel bad for anyone that is willing but will be unable to buy a PS3 at launch.
same here bro, really sucks for them. hell, this whole 500k **** has me even thinking about ebaying.
they should have these things labeled limited edition or somthing, having one of the first 500k ps3's in the world has gotta be some kind of accomplishment come holiday season.

ENU291
09-06-06, 07:07 AM
My advice to you Bad_Boy is to stay far away from that initial batch of the 400K units unless you're interested in selling some on Ebay. With so much new tech in the PS3 it is inevitable that a few bugs will crop up. One of the worst feeling in the world is to finally get your hands on a launch PS3 and then have it crap out on you in the most inopportune time.

Bad_Boy
09-06-06, 07:18 AM
im not really worried about bugs, ill get my warranty and that will be that.
ive had ps1, ps2, psp, all on launch day and never had one break on me.
there will be bugs, every console has launch bugs, i wont doubt that, it's just i'm not really worried about them.

im more worried about getting my hands on one period. they are going to be even harder to find, and im not even preordered yet. actually i went by ebgames yesterday after class. the chick at the register said they still wont know until sony tells them how many they get in north america, and it might even be first come first serve if they dont get that many. They just dont want to have another 360 launch all over so they are being very precautious. And now this seems like it will be first come first serve. :/

I walked out with resistance preordered but it doesnt mean squat if I can't get a console to play it.

S.I.N
09-06-06, 09:47 AM
The robbery rate is going to be higher than the Dreamcast. Better be able to run fast to your car or have a few buds if taking public transportation. I hope I can still get one.:o

Ninjaman09
09-06-06, 10:22 AM
Heh I think I'm gonna sit the launch round out for this one like I did with the 360...besides Burning Crusade comes out around this time and that will steal my soul away...

Mr_LoL
09-06-06, 10:32 AM
They might as well push the launch back for everybody. (It will make me feel a load better :D ) 100,000 machines in Japan of all places is a joke. I would hve thought japan would have got more consoles than the US. I know the US is probably more profitable than Japan but its Sony's home country.

Edge
09-06-06, 02:16 PM
Can that even really be considered a launch? I've seen product test markets bigger than that. Honestly Sony might as well just hold 100,000 of those consoles to sell on Ebay, would help offset the loss from each unit sold.

|MaguS|
09-06-06, 03:38 PM
I hope you all realize that the 400K and 100K are just the day of launch, they still plan (if they can make it) to release 2 million units (half of what they originally aimed for) by the end of the year. Thats still pretty dam good, IF they can keep productiong up...

As for Europe, glad I don't live there... maybe I will export some PS3's, hehe.

russ_3d
09-06-06, 04:38 PM
As for Europe, glad I don't live there... maybe I will export some PS3's, hehe.

perhaps you will, if i can get some cash together - better be good with packing, those blue diodes are gonna be hard to find if on gets damaged :D

LycosV
09-06-06, 05:56 PM
8000 consoles per state, yeah that's enough for a launch... I personally would push the date back buy I guess from a marketing standpoint burning through your stock in 30seconds will get the story all over the news and any publicity is good publicity.

Ninja Prime
09-06-06, 07:59 PM
Cough I was right cough? ;)

Mr_LoL
09-07-06, 12:40 AM
I wouldnt get too excited yet magus. Sony might delay the launch for everyone till next year you just never know. This is Sony we are talking about. After this debacle, nothing about that company surprises me anymore.

msxyz
09-07-06, 05:01 AM
The planned 2M figure for the end of the year seems also over-optimistic.

Knowing Sony, I'm starting to doubt that a shortage of laser diode is the real cause. Gallium Nitride Blue Laser Diodes have been around for a while and if Sony didn't stock enough of them (or made arrangements for huge production runs) in the last year, it's enough to question their business planning competence. Whether the problem is just the semiconductor or related to the lens focusing mechanism I've many reasons to doubt it's the real cause.

Sony is just pulling another "spring launch" BS excuse. Either this "shortage" is made up because Sony has just realized that a world wide launch with shipments of millions of consoles in a couple of months all down the pipeline to the end user is a logistical nightmare (and very expensive) or they ran into all kind of production problems, component shortages: the same unforeseen setbacks that plagued the Xbox 360 launch as well. And let's not forget that probably the PS3 is much more complex and expensive to assemble, at least judging by the technology they pack into it.

My prediction is 1M by the end of the year 3-4M at the end of Q1/07

Morrow
09-07-06, 07:57 AM
This shows again two things:

First, this demonstrates how big the European market really is because Sony didn't delay the European release date because they think how unimportant European is for them but only because Sony knews they will not be able to feed the bigger two markets at the same time (Europa and US). So, they choose US, the more important one.

Secondly, Sony should have known better and never announced that "worldwide availability on launch day" marketing BS and release the PS3 for the Japanese market at first (the smaller one) and when the yields are good enough for serious mass-production, start shipping for America and Europa at the same time, even if this means a 6-10 months gap between both launches.

ENU291
09-07-06, 09:28 AM
Secondly, Sony should have known better and never announced that "worldwide availability on launch day" marketing BS and release the PS3 for the Japanese market at first (the smaller one) and when the yields are good enough for serious mass-production, start shipping for America and Europa at the same time, even if this means a 6-10 months gap between both launches.
I stated the exact same thing about 2 months ago. Why Sony decided to change their console launch strategy this time around is beyond me.

Athena
09-07-06, 10:01 AM
PS3 Euro Launch Delayed; Initial Shipment Slashed to 500k

SCEA president Kaz Hirai recently commented on launch of the PS3, saying it would be hard for the company to keep up with demand during this holiday season. Even with 2 million units available on launch day, there would be less than 700,000 consoles assigned each of the three major territories. Now, it appears as though there won't be 700,000 units available period, with Europe not seeing the system until early 2007.

http://www.uptilt.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=31m,moa3,spu,ig63,gp6g,lpgj,29iw

Now I am thinking I will not buy one to Ebay, I feel bad for all the kids that will not be getting what they want for Christmas. :(

Sony why even launch in Japan at all? Better yet send all 500,000 to Japan then launch in the IS later when you have enough!!!!
Grrrr on Sony!!

brady
09-07-06, 10:18 AM
Around launch time we should start a thread on PS3 ebaying and tally up how much nvnewsers get from ebay sales. With any luck I'll be able to pay for new front windows on my house (it's a small house :D ).

LurkerLito
09-07-06, 10:32 AM
It really is a shame, I also think sony should delay the launch in the US. 400,000 for the entire US, that is insane. They are probably only giving japan 100,000 because the 360 didn't do well there. If the 360 bombed as badly here as it did in Japan I am sure they would have given all the PS3's to Japan and launched spring 07 in the US and EU.