PDA

View Full Version : hard drive cloning help: clone 2 drives to one drive

skoprowski
09-06-06, 02:12 PM
Here's the scoop: I currently have 2 -120g serial ata drives. The first 120 drive (primary boot) has a copy of Win XP prof 32bit and the second has a copy of Win XP Prof 64bit. I currently dual boot between the 2 drives. I just bought a WD 500g hard drive and want to use this drive instead of the two 120 drives. The idea was to partition the 500g drive into 2 250 partitions and clone each 120g drive to the partitions- so basically replace 2 drives with one. What is the best way to do that? I tried using the tools from WD but it did not work at all. Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

evilghost
09-06-06, 02:30 PM
You lose because of the MBR issues. Not sure how you would do this without re-installing one of those OSes or using a boot manager.

rage10
09-06-06, 05:12 PM
I think norton partition maniger can do it. try there web page for it.

Bearclaw
09-06-06, 06:29 PM
I think norton partition maniger can do it. try there web page for it.
Ya, but it will cost you a pretty penny. I don't use norton anymore anyway. I tried using Norton Ghost one time to copy hard drive files and back up my work but it didn't work. I couldn't use the backed up hard drive to boot from.

LycosV
09-06-06, 06:46 PM
Ya, but it will cost you a pretty penny. I don't use norton anymore anyway. I tried using Norton Ghost one time to copy hard drive files and back up my work but it didn't work. I couldn't use the backed up hard drive to boot from.
I tried the 06 version of ghost to clone my drives (06 only has a copy, no clone option) and couldn't boot, but when I went back to my reliable old 03 ghost floppy it cloned no problem.

Bearclaw
09-06-06, 06:56 PM
I tried the 06 version of ghost to clone my drives (06 only has a copy, no clone option) and couldn't boot, but when I went back to my reliable old 03 ghost floppy it cloned no problem.
Ya that is exactley what happened to me. I couldn't boot off of the copied hard drive. It would get to the windows loading screen and just load forever. What a pain in the ass.

CaptNKILL
09-06-06, 11:15 PM
Get a utility from your hard drive (the new one) manufacturer's website. They will have the proper tools to do this. :)

I know for a fact that you can clone a drive and boot off of it. I did it with norton ghost. And using partion magic, I've even re-arranged and resized partitions, and THEN cloned them to another drive's partitions with no problems.

One way or another this is possible. Using Norton Ghost or a utility from your manufacturer.

I did have Ghost gack on me once and it caused a blue screen when trying to boot from the freshly ghosted partition, but I just ghosted it again and it worked fine after that.

skoprowski
09-06-06, 11:24 PM
Well...I did more google searching and it appears it's my mb to blame. The bios recognized the new drive as a CHS drive- that's why it won't boot. I need to change it to Large and then clone the drive. Don't have time tonight- will try it tomorrow.

Infinity666
09-07-06, 03:07 AM
http://www.acronis.com/

F' Norton

Edit: Free trial
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

saturnotaku
09-07-06, 06:23 AM
http://www.acronis.com/

F' Norton

Edit: Free trial
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Acronis FTW.

Great software. Saved my butt on more than one occasion. Plus the clone feature works perfectly.

Bearclaw
09-07-06, 11:22 AM
Acronis FTW.

Great software. Saved my butt on more than one occasion. Plus the clone feature works perfectly.
I heard that acronis works really well also. I will have to try it out soon. I am planning on a new 10,000RPM raptor sometime in the future.

skoprowski
09-08-06, 09:23 AM
That's what it was- changed the BIOS from auto to large- reformatted and cloned. Works fine now.

wnd
09-08-06, 10:11 AM
You lose because of the MBR issues

Thank goodness for GRUB.

Even though I reinstall Windos approximately once a year (be it Windos going nuts, or getting a new harddrive and Windos refusing to reboot or whatever), and GNU/Linux every six years (that would be 32-bit to 64-bit transition), I keep a copy of GRUB in floppy drive at all times. :-)