PDA

View Full Version : X-fi and the nFORCE4 chipset

SkullCracker
09-06-06, 03:58 PM
Just was wondering if anyone is having any issues with any of the X-fi sound cards and the nFORCE4 chip. I have the Fatal1ty and have nothing but snap crack and pop coming from my speakers. Now I know not everyone has this issue but i'm one of the thousands who does have problems. Creative Labs says the problem comes from the nForce4 chip and that is what is causing my problems. Anyone know if this is true or what the deal is because it drives me nuts when I try to play BF2 or POE2 and any other game.

This is what I have,

Asus A8N SLI PREMIUM

AMD X2 3800

BFG 7800GT OC in SLI

X-fi Fatal1ty

Antec True Power 550

Any thought on this.

Rieper
09-06-06, 05:00 PM
You're not alone. Jakup and others are experiencing the same issues. No solution has been found yet...

xxslixx
09-06-06, 05:53 PM
ya dont buy something with someone esle name on it card does crap for u anyways for gaming lol reg x-fi platium runs fine on my pc n still get gaming option but dont get 64mb of ram what is really a waste.. i guessin Fatal1ty likes to play games with krackle n poppin sounds lol

OWA
09-06-06, 06:31 PM
I have the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium / X-Fi Fatality combo and I don't have the issue. In my Abit A8N-SLI Fatality board I'm using the X-Fi Xtreme Music version and that one is fine also.

Some have it, some don't. I doubt you're going to find anything conclusive.

HighTest
09-06-06, 06:36 PM
ya dont buy something with someone esle name on it card does crap for u anyways for gaming lol reg x-fi platium runs fine on my pc n still get gaming option but dont get 64mb of ram what is really a waste.. i guessin Fatal1ty likes to play games with krackle n poppin sounds lol

No, it's just the luck of the draw. There are several Fatality X-Fi users that report it working fine, but also a large number that have the SCP problem (snap, crackel and pop). Some speculated that it was due to shared IRQs and that since Windows XP is an ACPI OS, you can't rearrange the IRQs. If the install picks a bad selection you get SCP.

Some didn't share IRQ's and still had the same trouble. Also VIA, ATI and SIS chipset users reported SCP problems that were also blamed on the chipset makers by Creative. I guess if your product is created with pie in the sky specifications and doesn't work correctly with the majority of shipping chipsets, it's the chipset makers fault as they "all" didn't follow the same specifications as Creative understood them.

What's interesting is that the Creative claim isn't completely official. Note, you won't find it here:http://www.creative.com/press/releases/

But it did originate from their user forum here:http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926&page=122

Note that the Inquirer, XBitLabs and all the others got their information from this source. Now the moderator that posted it is a Creative employee, but is that supposed to be an offical statement? Inquiring with nVIDIA has them denying the claim. What if the moderators simply posted this as they saw the largest numbers of users reporting the problem and having an nForce4 chipset. Could there be a trend of large numbers of nForce4 users because it's the largest selling chipset on the market? Is it also because the majority of nForce4 motherboards have basic AC'97 audio and leave the user hankering for more? Or is it like Creative says, a flaw that also ATI, VIA and SIS also have in common? They didn't blame Intel, but there's even some Intel chipset users that post issues about SCP.

So riddle me this? When users switch to alternative solutions Like the HDA-Mystique with Dolby Digital Encoding, why is there no SCP?

Guess the question should be:

"Should I sell my X-Fi on Ebay? What cards do you recomend to replace it that are not Creative Labs?" :(

SkullCracker
09-06-06, 08:03 PM
Well today after posting this I recieved a call from nVidia and they stated they are working on the problem. They have recreated the problem and said they may or may not beable to fix this problem and are not blaming anyone like CL is doing.The person I spoke with also stated that yes some boards will work fine and some won't it's more or less luck of the draw. So if you have problems like me check nVidas web site for updates,the latest one is the Version: 6.86 which came out July 7, 2006 and is not a true fix. I hope they fix it sooner then later because games like POE2 are just unbearable to play.

SkullCracker
09-06-06, 08:07 PM

The Fatal1ty was a upgrade from the Platinum I had, CL said this card would not give me the SCP like the Platinum did, they gave me this card.

DataMatrix
09-07-06, 10:32 AM
I used to hear that there was conflicts between graphics cards and sound cards years ago. People resolved this by getting a piece of cardboard covered in aluminium foil (not touching anything electric of course) and placed it in between the graphics card and sound card. Maybe this could be a solution?

DarkJedi664
09-07-06, 11:12 AM
Creative sound cards are a joke if you ask me. I bought my X-Mistique/X-Plosion, and haven't looked back!

tweaked
09-07-06, 11:27 AM
SCP is made worse by:
64 bit OS
shared IRQ's
SLI
incorrect memory timing/settings
Hypertransport bus over 800

easiest thing i did to greatly reduce my SCP was reduce my hypertransport bus to 800 from 1000, i dont know WHY it made a difference but i got siginificantly less SCP then.

hope this info helps.

i finally gave up and bought a badaxe and conroe, both should be arriving this afternoon. :)

retsam
09-07-06, 11:34 AM
i have the dfi lanparty sli-dr expert and it has given me all sorts of problems with the x-fi ....

john19055
09-07-06, 12:02 PM
So far I have not had any problems out of my X-f except when I had the older drivers in it but once I updated them it seem to be fine now.i