PDA

View Full Version : New system with 7900GS on its way!

stevemedes
09-07-06, 03:00 AM
Today is a blessed day for sure. As if the stars have aligned, I received my new Coolermaster Centurion 5 in the mail today. Also, nVidia has released the new 7900GS video card with comparable performance to a 7900GT for $200 USD. This clearly to me was a sign from the gods and I went ahead and upgraded. I just ordered everything from mwave.com and I'm so excited! Okay here's the skinny, please keep in mind that I am a budget oriented overclocker. My passion is squeezing ridiculous amounts of performance out of the cheapest parts. Also I look for upgradability in the future. I play alot of FPS games, mostly CS:S. Here's what I ordered.

CPU/Mobo combo from Mwave.com:

S939 A64 X2 3800+ Manchester with ASROCK 939SLI32-eSATA2 motherboard (https://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=MB-BA22406)

Video Card:

EVGA 256-P2-N620-AR GF7900GS 256MB DDR3 PCI-E DUAL DVI+HDTV Out RoHS (https://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA50780)

I will be keeping my old RAM, which is 1gb TwinMOS DDR400. Not the greatest for overclocking, but not so bad that it bottlenecks my overclocking.

As for the Asrock mobo, I don't think you can beat a nice S939, overclockable SLI mobo for that price :firedevil
The ULI chipset is very competetive with the NF4 chipset in terms of numbers. Also, overclocking features are prominent in the BIOS save for two exceptions: Vcore and Vdimm options. Vcore is limited to 1.45 and Vdimm to 2.8. However both these obstacles are easily overcome with simple volt mods. All that must be done to obtain 1.55 vcore is connecting two leads on the motherboard with conductive paint. Also Asrock supports AM2 CPU's on this board with a riser card for extra upgradeablity.

Only thing I could think of that would hold me back is my power supply. I have the Enermax EG365P-VE 350watt unit. I checked the sticker on power supply and it reads the following amps on the rails:

+3.3 : 32 amps
+5 : 32 amps
+12 : 26 amps

Here is a quote from the specifications on the mwave site regarding the power supply requirements for the 7900GS:

ystem Requirements:

# Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.) Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)

Now, even though my PSU is below 400watts, the amperage is more than sufficient. I suspect I will be fine but would like everyones opinion. =)

The CPU, Mobo and video card come to a total of 444.83 with 3 day fedex shipping. Have ordered from mwave before and had a good experience, usually go with newegg though. However, I noticed newegg charges me tax while mwave doesnt? Whats the deal with that? Anyway...

What do you all think of my new rig?

stevemedes
09-07-06, 03:11 AM
Just found out people are getting their Arctic Cooling NV5's to fit on 7900 series.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92324&highlight=nv5+7900gt

Looks like I already have aftermarket cooling for my new video card before it even gets here! (nana2)

and i have an arctic cooling freezer 64 pro so that will fit on the new CPU also =)

Bearclaw
09-07-06, 10:20 AM
Nice on that 7900. Have fun with that. I only have a 7600.. I am probably going to wait for a DX10 card to come out.

stevemedes
09-07-06, 10:51 AM
Yeah man, so excited. Just started a new job and when I saw I could put together a new build for only $444, I had to bite the bullet.

stevemedes
09-07-06, 05:51 PM
bump, you guys think my power supply is going to be ok?

update: Bad news about sli support on this ASRock board. After nvidia acquired ULI, they disabled SLI support in recent drivers. Meaning no 7900GS SLI on this board =( If I had known this i would have gotten a different board... Anyone have any experience with that Jetway SLI board? Anand gave it a good review. My order just shipped so I could just return the mobo to mwave and order different one. But I HATE waiting.