PDA

View Full Version : No HD and S-Video AV cables bundled with Wii

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
09-07-06, 01:42 PM
Nintendo confirmed Wii consoles will not come with both HD and S-Video AV cables bundled, the cables will be sold separate as accessories. It announced $59.99 for the HD Premium Component Cable and $39.99 for the S-Video Premium AV Cable.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10779

Nintendo is doing the same thing Sony did. It seem Wii will have component cable bundled.

ENU291
09-07-06, 01:49 PM
The difference is that Nintendo is not marketing the Wii as a High Definition gaming console.

Mr_LoL
09-07-06, 01:50 PM
Can the wii even do HD? If it cant this is a non issue tbh.

Bad_Boy
09-07-06, 01:53 PM
Can the wii even do HD? If it cant this is a non issue tbh.
it can do 480p :p

ENU291
09-07-06, 01:55 PM
Wii is capable of 720X480 progressive scan.

brady
09-07-06, 02:06 PM
I don't understand why I would need HD cables for the wii anyway?

Edge
09-07-06, 02:21 PM
I don't understand why I would need HD cables for the wii anyway?
Component is required for progressive scan/480p.

Mr_LoL
09-07-06, 03:17 PM
it can do 480p :p
Ah I see.

Badboy_12345
09-07-06, 03:48 PM
Component is required for progressive scan/480p.

but it will have that bundled :confused:
thats what AthlonXP1800 said..
so whats the point of the HD cable :confused:

ENU291
09-07-06, 03:56 PM
The most likely scenario is that the Wii will come with "Composite" video cables not component. I have not read anything that stated that the Wii has component video cables included with the package. AthlonXP1800 please provide a link where it states component video cables are bundled with the Wii.

|MaguS|
09-07-06, 04:08 PM
Anyone else confused at what AthlonXP1800 actually said? First he says it wont include Component Cables and then he says it will... /boggle.

Q
09-07-06, 04:18 PM
$40 for an SVideo cable is highway robbery.

1337_Like_ThaT
09-07-06, 04:20 PM
HD for super mario??? :confused:

The initital post in this thread is somewhat confusing too...

1337_Like_ThaT
09-07-06, 04:20 PM

Visit your local RadioShack and see how the whole store is highway robbery :thumbdwn:

Rakeesh
09-07-06, 04:22 PM

No kidding. Nintendo is trying to push the idea that the console is going to be cheap but it already looks like they are going to kill you on the price of the games and accessories.

hordaktheman
09-07-06, 04:35 PM
Aren't component cables (let alone quality proprietary ones) usually far more expensive than your average run-of-the-mill HDMI cable? Adding a $15 cable to a $250 console is not exactly the same as adding a $5 cable to a $600 console.

Rakeesh
09-07-06, 05:14 PM
Aren't component cables (let alone quality proprietary ones) usually far more expensive than your average run-of-the-mill HDMI cable? Adding a $15 cable to a $250 console is not exactly the same as adding a $5 cable to a $600 console.

Believe it or not these cables cost practically nothing to make. Those monster component cables that people sometimes pay $100 for barely cost the company $3 to make. I don't know what it is with the retail business but they make a HUGE profit off of cables of just about any kind. Especially cables with gold ends, people are such suckers for those even when it serves no benefit whatsoever (e.g. USB cables with gold ends - absolutely no advantage over any other cable.)

I myself make my own CAT5, RG6, and component cables all the time, they work just fine, and they cost me pennies per foot, with the ends being around 50 cents each.

Nintendo is going to make a killing off of selling these cables, plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that, its just that right now they are trying to appeal to people who aren't interested in spending much money on video games, yet they turn around and bilk the customer anyways.

hordaktheman
09-07-06, 06:41 PM
Yeah, it's kind of ironic how people are willing to be ripped off so they don't have to feel ripped off. Value lies in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

But on topic, even if both cables are priced the same I still feel that there's a bit of difference between including a $5 cable with a $250 console (2% of the overall price) and a $600 console (0.8%), especially when the latter is touting image quality as a feature and the product itself as high-end. Even disregarding the money part of it, it's just bad PR.

Edit: Not defending Nintendo, mind you. Charging $60 for a component cable is a bigger rip-off than Sony not including a $5 one.

Mr. Hunt
09-07-06, 07:11 PM
Wii is capable of 720X480 progressive scan.

WHOAMG ITS A R3v0lut10n!@#

Q
09-07-06, 09:27 PM
Visit your local RadioShack and see how the whole store is highway robbery :thumbdwn:

You're telling me. At one point in time you used to able to at least buy some hard to find tech stuff there, even if over priced. Now have fun with their 3 TV's and the cell phone collection.

Edge
09-07-06, 09:38 PM
Well, since Xp1800 had such a confusing way of saying it, here's the non-gibberish version:

"The Wii will not include S-video or component cables. It will come with standard composite cables. To use progressive scan/480p, you will need to purchase component cables separately. Gamestop has a listing showing a Wii component cable for $59.99"

However I doubt that's the official Nintendo cable, if those are sold in stores they'll probably be closer to $30 or $40. It's likely a third party knockoff billed as premium, or a temporary price (like how they have all Wii games listed at $59.99 when at the very least first party ones will probably be no more than $49.99)

You're telling me. At one point in time you used to able to at least buy some hard to find tech stuff there, even if over priced. Now have fun with their 3 TV's and the cell phone collection.
Yeah, their prices were high, but at least they had some fairly rare adaptors and cables that were hard to find elsewhere. Now they're trying to be more like Best Buy and just sell popular cables at high prices. Like when I stopped in a month ago looking for something...

"Hi, I'm looking for an optical audio cable splitter."
"Well...we USED to have them..."

Rakeesh
09-08-06, 12:09 AM
Yeah, it's kind of ironic how people are willing to be ripped off so they don't have to feel ripped off. Value lies in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

But on topic, even if both cables are priced the same I still feel that there's a bit of difference between including a $5 cable with a $250 console (2% of the overall price) and a $600 console (0.8%), especially when the latter is touting image quality as a feature and the product itself as high-end. Even disregarding the money part of it, it's just bad PR.

Edit: Not defending Nintendo, mind you. Charging $60 for a component cable is a bigger rip-off than Sony not including a $5 one.

What is even more amazing is how different the console industry is vs the STB industry. They include more cables than you'll ever use just to make sure that you are all set "just in case." Console companies on the other hand only give you a bare minimal set.

Hell, my directv receivers (which are subsidized to hell and back BTW as they cost way more than what you pay for them, in fact they loss lead far more than a game console does) included the following:

HDMI cable
HDMI to DVI (and vice versa) cable
component cable
two s-video cables
two phone cables
one phone splitter
two composite/r and l audio cables
two RG6 cables
RG6 to UHF adapter
power cable
access card
remote
batteries for the remote

They really go out of their way to make sure that you are set and ready to go right out of the box with nearly any HT setup you can conceive of. The HDMI cables were really going out of their way because those tend to be costly, and you can't make them yourself either. Yet these game consoles just give you a controller, a composite video and audio cable, and a power adapter, and a brochure telling you about how you need to spend upwards of a hundred bucks to get all of the sh*t that should have been included to begin with.

At least microsoft wasn't that big of a ripoff with the regular xbox. They sold the HD pack for $20 which included the component and audio cables.

Badboy_12345
09-08-06, 06:22 AM
yeah one thing I never liked about nintendo is their overpriced accessories.
Whenever something new is rlsed they make these 1000 of addons and accessories for it and double the price of what it normally should cost

Mathesar
09-08-06, 08:37 AM

I remember paying $19.99 for my gamecube component cables directly from nintendo.com ,so $60 sounds a bit outrageous for Wii's component cable

Edge
09-08-06, 09:14 AM
I remember paying $19.99 for my gamecube component cables directly from nintendo.com ,so $60 sounds a bit outrageous for Wii's component cable
When in the world did you get component cables for that price from Nintendo's website? They've always been $34.99 from what I've seen, and that was ONLY the video component cables (it didn't even have hookups for the audio cables, you had to use the standard compostite or s-video cable in combination with it).