PDA

View Full Version : Vista RC1 64 bit sataraid issue

Cigarman
09-07-06, 04:48 PM
Alright I have been reading forum posts all over about how to get X64 vista RC1 to install with the nvidia raid drivers. I have tried both XP64 and VistaX64 nforce drivers from nvidia and none of my raid arrays shows up! I load the drivers in the proper order, copied the files all to the root dir of the install media (USB stick) and the idiotic install program doesnt display the raid volumes! Even tried the most obvious REFRESH button but nothing. I have an MSI Neo4platinum board with the most recent bios. Anyone else getting this rotten problem or am I doing something dumb here?:thumbdwn:

Slammin
09-07-06, 08:56 PM
I can't get my raid to show up either, and I've tried all kinds of drivers in Vista.

I think the trick is to start out the install while in XP, have a floppy with valid (read, the magic sataraid) drivers in hand, and load that during the install.

I have not tried that method, so I have no idea if it does work, but it seems it does for others.

What I can say is that once Vista is installed, nothing I've tried makes Vista see my existing raid. Not really sure if this is not by design so far though because the release notes do say something about Vista not being able to see SATA and PATA at the same time with NF4 chipset, if I read that correctly.

Cigarman
09-08-06, 11:43 AM
Well here's the wacky factor just to add fun:

Once vista is installed on a regular IDE drive it goes and finds drivers for the raid controller and installs them automagically! Damn microsoft!

I can't get the 64bit Vista setup to function from normal XP. Seems it only works under 64 bit XP. Lame-o-rama.

Oh well, here's hoping that NVIDIA and M$ get things going more smoothly than they are now.
(pirate)

garikfox
09-08-06, 12:32 PM
The RC1 SATARaid drivers dont work.

You have to use the Beta2's. ;)

(Make sure just too click one driver. "nForce4 SATA Raid Class Contoller")

Cigarman
09-08-06, 03:37 PM
:fu:

Figures. Now why didnt I think of that? :D

Well perhaps when Im feeling particularly more destructive I'll try X64 version again. Until then phooey on it.

Slammin
09-10-06, 06:52 PM
By the way, if you do install Vista w/o installing the Sata drivers and find out later that you may want to be able to 'see' any Sata Raid drives later on, you can do this by expanding the XP nForce drivers and update your Vista IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers with the XP drivers. They will become NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller and NVIDIA nForce Parallel ATA Controllers once you update them. There is no need to update the device in Storage controllers for this to work.

I just did this and now I can see my Raid0 drive.

Only problem is, it caused me to burn another Activation since so much? of my hardware changed. It did rediscover both my cdrom drives as we as discover my existing Raid0 drive, so I guess that was enough to prompt reactivation.

Cigarman
09-10-06, 08:51 PM
It saw the arrays after it was installed on a ide drive but then it said the drivers were not compatible for some reason. This RC has a lot of bugs in the 64 bit version and the drivers for either bit format are just abhorrent. RAID should not be like pulling teeth to install. Its not like its some exotic hardware that noone knows about. Its part of every Nforce4 chipset and both M$ and nvidia have failed miserably in this respect. I hope the issues get resolved soon because its just not worth the tinkering otherwise.

Slammin
09-11-06, 07:38 AM
Sounds like you don't have the stomach for beta testing :-)

Cigarman
09-11-06, 09:33 AM
Hardly the point. When an OS doesnt want to install, whats left to test?

Slammin
09-11-06, 11:40 AM
That is the point! You 'convince' the OS to install. :-)

Really, it is reasonable to understand why you cannot install the 64bit version from XP - XP cannot execute 64bit code. I'm sure by the time the release comes out, MS will include 32bit install executables for the 64bit verson, hence allowing upgrade option from XP and within XP.

If you want to install Vista 64 with raid, I can almost gurantee that if you use same drivers that XP64 uses, it will work.

Seeing how easy it was for me to fix my raid0, I do wonder why I even had to in the first place. But no biggie, just a few googles and problem solved.

Remember, it is beta/evaluation code, not release. No sense in getting bent over it.

Russ_64
09-11-06, 12:09 PM
I have an Nforce 3 chipset and RAID0 array which I want to use in dual-boot with XP and Vista RC1 x86 - anyone know if this method will work with IDE / PATA RAID ?

By the way, if you do install Vista w/o installing the Sata drivers and find out later that you may want to be able to 'see' any Sata Raid drives later on, you can do this by expanding the XP nForce drivers and update your Vista IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers with the XP drivers. They will become NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller and NVIDIA nForce Parallel ATA Controllers once you update them. There is no need to update the device in Storage controllers for this to work.

I just did this and now I can see my Raid0 drive.

Only problem is, it caused me to burn another Activation since so much? of my hardware changed. It did rediscover both my cdrom drives as we as discover my existing Raid0 drive, so I guess that was enough to prompt reactivation.

Slammin
09-11-06, 12:55 PM
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-rc1-and-nforce4-sataraid-an-installation-guide-vt66299.html?start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

May work the same for nForce3.

TimeOut
09-11-06, 02:13 PM
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vista-rc1-and-nforce4-sataraid-an-installation-guide-vt66299.html?start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

May work the same for nForce3.

It worked for me.
- I had to first install Win XP Pro x64 using the old nForce x64 drivers version 6.56 beta in a floppy (Newest drivers didn't work for me).
- Once Win XP x64 was up and running, I installed the latest nForce drivers Win XP x64 version 6.86.
- Then I copied to another floppy these latest Win XP x64 6.86 drivers (the whole content of folders sataraid and sata_ide to the floppy root dir) then fired up the Vista x64 DVD, loaded the 3 drivers from the floppy when vista was showing the partitions and voila!! It worked.

Once the Vista x64 is running, do not install the Vista SataRaid drivers, it will break your installation.

Russ_64
09-13-06, 07:05 AM
Great - thanks guys, I will give it a go. I have XP x64 running now and will try to install a dual boot Vista x64 on my free partition on IDE drive - I just need it to see my SATA RAID0 where all my data is stored.

garikfox
09-13-06, 07:13 PM
nVidia pulled the RC1's for RAID/SATA.

Heres Beta2's, Make sure to isntall just ONE driver. For eg. I chose for my setup

RAID:
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller

I also Included the SATA string, But I havent tested it.

Non-RAID:
NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

http://members.cox.net/garikfox/vistax64_sata.rar

http://members.cox.net/garikfox/vistax86_sata.rar

PATA:
http://members.cox.net/garikfox/vistax32_praid.rar

(PATA only for x32 Vista.)