PDA

View Full Version : Installing Vista RC1 with a 7950GX2 - Work in progress

tomb18
09-07-06, 08:41 PM
Ok, This is the third time I am installing RC1 on my system. I have narrowed it down to the 7950GX2.
If the card is installed in the computer, then the installation goes until the point where it says " completing installation" after about 5 minutes here, the creen blinks, goes blakck and then eventually reboots. If you restart the computer, it asks the usual windows thing....start normally safe mode etc...
If you select normal you get a BSOD.

I have now reinstalled with an old ATI card (shutter!) and it works.

I'll be back shortly

ASUS K8N-DL
2 x Opteron 854 at 2.95GHz
4G Mushkin at 430 MHz
7950 GX2
2x36G Raptor
780G WD RE2 Raid 1
Silverstone Zeus 650W
PCMark06 9457

tomb18
09-07-06, 09:02 PM
Ok Step 2

I just put the 7950 in the computer and rebooted.
Vista booted fine, and found the 2 PCI devices and bridge
I asm now runnjing the nvidia installation program for the 7950, and its been about 4 minutes, with the installation bard stuck at the 50% mark. However, there is a lot of disk I/O and something seems to be happening.
In the installation of Beta2, the same thing happened when I installed 7900 drivers.
Vista has just asked if I want to restart, I said yes...
Back in a moment

tomb18
09-07-06, 09:12 PM
Rebooted fine, reset screen resolution to 1920x1200

Gone into performance...Video performace rating is 1.0

Select refresh the Windows experience??
Video Performance is now top notch 5.9 and 5.8 overall system is 5.3

Finally get to see aero...so far real nice.

I hope this saves some other people a few hours of trying many things...
In summary, take out the 7950 put in a cheap board until the install is finished, and then swap out the boards.

Thanks, Tom

Xion X2
09-07-06, 09:37 PM
From what I've heard, Vista doesn't recognize SLi yet. That might be your problem?

I thought I read that jakup is using it, tho.

tomb18
09-07-06, 11:05 PM
Well, Vista doesnot yet recognize SLI. Perhaps this is what happens at the initial install. At anyrate, its working fine now but with only one GPU.
No crashes yet at all!
However, I just went to install the creative x-fi....not so lucky

K007
09-08-06, 03:55 AM
To get 7950 to work u have to use a old card..since 7950 is pcie..u need a pci-e card..not everyone has access to that..but if u do..get one and install Vista with it. Next shutdown..put ure 7950 in..after reboot/reinstall drivers..etc..u will get into Vista with probably a BSOD or a blank screen..now u restart the PC here..go safe mode..go into Device Manager..(what eva Vista calls it)..then disable one of the 7950..this Single GPU mode..and volla..it will work.

But again..nvidia cauld have done something on the drivers to install 7950 in this manner for testing purposes..clearly..they dont want SLI/Xfire users to test Vista (RC1) till its fully polished out..

Atm i am installing this on my old rig with 6800GT AGP..and installtion was success..and..i so hate nvidia..or Microsoft..for not letting me try out the os on my 7950 :(...

If u do installation while Windows is running and then do it from there..it will download some files off the net i think..if u do it this way u get a blank screen after completed installation..i can tell this because it installs some drivers that slows down my gx2 fan speeds..so i know the drivers got install..at this very moment the screen blanks out..and if u restarts..it uninstalls everything..

PS:Uninstall bar lies...loli was like..holy **** thats a fast uninstall..then the bar starts filling up again..and again..and again..at this moment i went downstairs to get a coffee -.-

So yea 7950 one gpu is still not bad for testing purposes..u cauld take the same setup on ure XP one and run it in single gpu and see how it goes..though SLI is a different story..it cauld atleast give u idea of what to expect..as for me..i am gonna get a 8900GTX or something like that..i was never a fan of sli..but hey..what choice did i have..x1900xt?(ATI?...no)..or gamble another 7900GTX...or for 100AU more get the 7950..:/

If nvidia would be kind..plz upload a 7950 Driver that is setup for Vista testing to run the OS on single gpu mode..and u can then use the update online feature when installing Vista to get those/use those drivers instead..

PS: Installing Vista is a breeze..hats off for that Microsoft..

K007
09-08-06, 05:49 AM
Well i took the HDD from my old pc and plugged it into my GX2 PC and it worked fine..it wont install the 7950 Drivers..so i was able to access the thing..but sadly my login client software for my Cable will not install -.-..i disabled the firewall..everything..it will just crash..so it is no use for me if i cant use the net -.-..

As for the rest..its nice..Start menu cauld use icons on the Computer and stuff..instead of showing up on the top..i also prefer the old start system with the programs -->..new one is a bit..erm...feels a bit tight..

i_am_ugf
09-08-06, 07:25 AM
Tried it and installed Vista with an ATI 800XL...When i put the gx2 it doesnt boot and the computer just restarts...i tried safe mode and everything in safe mode..ANy clue?

K007
09-08-06, 08:44 AM
Check out that trick i posted on the thread i made on this forum. U can install with GX2 without having to change the graphics card

gizmoy2k
09-08-06, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the fix at the top post it worked for me and im happy i can use vista agian :D

Check out that trick i posted on the thread i made on this forum. U can install with GX2 without having to change the graphics card

Are you talking about the partition fix method and copying the 96.33 files through xp?

I take it you still dont get sli support using that method?

K007
09-08-06, 06:56 PM
na..after it restarts first time...f8 and go into XP..it will say windows insallation error..ignore it..then extract 96.33 and copy those files into windows/system32/ (vista) reboot..and it will use the new drivers..i am about to try this method..will report back..if only i can get my dam internet to work

oxygen2k
09-16-06, 02:04 PM
i searched through a lot of descriptions on how to install the rc1 with my 7950 GX2.
And this is the only way that has worked for me:

Both Vista pre-RC1 (5536) and RC1 (5600) shipped with the buggy nvidia 95_64 vista drivers. On certain nvidia cards like my 7900GX2 this causes a BSOD during the device installation phase, reporting an error in nvlddmkm.sys.

The latest 96_33 drivers work, but you are unable to install them normally or boot into safe mode because Vista cannot complete setup correctly.

Here's how to fix that.

Requirements:
1) Dual-boot machine with Windows XP running on another partition.
2) Administrative privileges in XP

I performed this fix using the x64 version of RC1
Phase 1:
1) Download the latest 96_33 Vista drivers from nvidia
2) Extract the contents of the driver file to a directory (I used WinRAR for this).
3) Open a command window in the driver directory and enter the following:

Code:
mkdir expand
expand -r nvapi64.dl_ expand\nvapi64.dll
expand -r nvd3dum.dl_ expand\nvd3dum.dll
expand -r nvd3dumx.dl_ expand\nvd3dumx.dll
expand -r nvlddmkm.sy_ expand\nvlddmkm.sys

(You might just need nvlddmkm.sys, but I replaced the other files as well to be sure.)
You end up with a new directory called expand that contains the files you need to replace.

Phase 2:
1) Perform a clean install of Vista RC1 on a fresh partition.
2) Critical After the setup process has expanded the installation files the machine will reboot. You must select 'Earlier version of windows' and boot back into XP at this stage.

Phase 3:
1) Since the Vista files are secured with an SID that XP doesn't know about, you need to take ownership of the relevant files.
2) Turn off simple file-sharing in the Folder View options.
3) Navigate to <VistaDrive>:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
4) If you are using a desktop graphics card, the files that have to be changed are in nv_lh.inf_185bb110. It appears that nv_aw.inf_d8327a6a contains the files for laptop cards. This fix was performed on a desktop altering just the files in the nv_lh directory. If in doubt you can alter both sets.
5) Back up the relevant folder in case you screw something up.
6) For each of the files to be changed (the files with the same name as the ones in the expand directory you created above) right-click, select Properties and click the Security tab. Click on Advanced and then Take Ownership. Change the owner to the admin account that you are logged on as. Click OK. R-click and select Properties->Security again, then click on Add, add your account and click Full Control.
7) Finally, copy the new 96.33 files across to overwrite the old ones.

Now restart your computer and let the Vista install proceed. The driver will still report itself as 95.64, I would advise performing a proper driver update to the new ones.

I found that at:
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=85252

Maybe this helps some other guys and sorry for my english :D

K007
09-16-06, 08:22 PM
oh daym..thats just too much work lol..nice find on his head.

badboy64
09-17-06, 05:36 PM
i searched through a lot of descriptions on how to install the rc1 with my 7950 GX2.
And this is the only way that has worked for me:

I found that at:
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=85252

Maybe this helps some other guys and sorry for my english :D
So in doing this you will have both GPU's working instead of 1. Is that right?

K007
09-18-06, 03:41 AM
it has to be one...no sli support so gx2 wont work in sli -.-..unless the gx2 are special..and nvidia forgot to do something..or something..

oxygen2k
09-18-06, 11:59 AM
@ badboy64:

no, i still have only 1 card.
but it was the only way for me to install the rc1.
and i tried a lot :)

seppuka
09-19-06, 06:07 AM
I posted this in another section, thought why not over here also.

Btw guys, in the release notes for the latest 96.33 ForceWare WinVist driver it plainly states in regard to SLI,
"This release is intended to serve as a functional preview for application porting purposes, and is not a perfrmance driver."
There is actually a wiki for Vista RC1 HCL HERE (http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Hardware_Compatibility_List)