PDA

View Full Version : KillerNIC performance

nekrosoft13
09-08-06, 03:22 PM
http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/networking/bigfoot/killer/review/006.htm

DarkJedi664
09-08-06, 03:23 PM
$300 for lower ping ftw!!! It'll go great with people who bought the PhysX card, LOL.

ynnek
09-08-06, 03:39 PM
Well, it looks like at best a 10% benifit in ping.. Although a side benift of 10% increase in fps seems to be more consistant.

Its just relatively expensive.. But then again, thats the deminishing returns for you when you get into highend stuff. and thats exactly where they are marketing at.

J-Mag
09-08-06, 04:09 PM
It should be marketed for people downloading pr0n and playing online at the same time

ragejg
09-08-06, 04:22 PM
shhh, that's what it's RLY4!!!!1

I think it's a great add-on for a 1337 rig, like one worth > $2500USD anyway...

retsam
09-08-06, 04:37 PM
:banghead:this thread make me want to bang my head against the wall :banghead:

the price sucks but the tech is solid.

DarkJedi664
09-08-06, 04:52 PM
$100 and you have yourself a deal; anything more, huge rip off.

jAkUp
09-08-06, 05:09 PM
Hmmm... I'm somewhat interested in it but have no more PCI slots...lol

J-Mag
09-08-06, 05:15 PM
Hmmm... I'm somewhat interested in it but have no more PCI slots...lol

Are you really playing Cellfactor or GRAW or CoV all that often? Personally I would rather have a Killer Nic than the PhysX card right now...

jAkUp
09-08-06, 05:22 PM
Yea the Killer NIC seems like a better investment than the PhysX card right now. Thats for sure.

jAkUp
09-08-06, 06:09 PM
Its at newegg now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833342001

J-Mag
09-08-06, 06:18 PM
Wow sure seems like it came outta nowhere doesn't it? I mean we are always fed shovel fulls of hype before product releases... This time looks like their marketing team used a pipette.

DarkJedi664
09-08-06, 06:50 PM
WoW a full version of FEAR...pass.

walterman
09-09-06, 03:51 PM
Question:

The fps gain, is only when you play "online", isn't it ? Not while you're doing a usual Fear/BF2/Quake4 bench, right ?

Stoneyguy
09-09-06, 04:35 PM
right

rudedog
09-13-06, 07:51 AM
While writing up a story for my own site, and looking at the IGN review along with gD hardware review I now have more questions, not to mention if memory serves me correct, they almost look and sound the same but I can not verify that because gD is having issues loading right now.

On to my questions:

We all know that 250 is a lot of money for a NIC, however I think we have all at one time said we where not going to spend over 300 on a video card (yes, I own two 7950s LOL ). The biggest question for the enthusiasts among us is where the hell do we plug this thing in and does it really work (flash back to the physics cards).

So far everyone is touting benchmarks about how the Killer NIC increases FPS while lowering your latency to a given server (Ping). What I've not seen is any review site compare a stand alone, dedicated NIC to the Killer NIC. For all we know is the Killer NIC sees in increase in performance just like a dedicated sound card sees an overall performance boost because we are now off loading any on board device that is assisted by the CPU. It's almost like testing a PCI video card with dedicated memory against an on board video card.

A real test would be a decent dedicated PCI NIC (10/100/1000) compared to the Killer NIC and on board NICs. I would like to know, would we see the same results but for only 30 bucks, 100 bucks would be still be half the price? Hell if we can get 1/2 the performance of the killer NIC for a cheap dedicated NIC, then it's work 30\100 bucks, not 250+. I'm waiting on some of my own hardware to do some of my own testing.

Has anyone see any site test the Killer NIC in the way suggested by me in the above paragraph?

If the killer NIC lives up to the hype and we can get motherboards with enough usable PCI slots then it's a great thing and I will jump on the Bigfoots bandwagon but until someone or myself can answer the questions regarding the performance gains of a stand alone nic, I'm holding judgement.