PDA

View Full Version : Scap the Xfi sound card and put my old card in?

rudedog
09-09-06, 10:11 AM
So, I got all my new parts for my upgrade, MB, CPU,RAM,HD, and case.

Now I've had about all I can stand with the Xfi card Popping and crackling and don't hear any improvement over my old cards Turtle beach or Audigy 2.

I'm building her as I write this and before I install my sound card drivers I need your advice!

Move the Xfi into the new x6800 box or put my old and faithful Turtle beach card back in, what about the Audigy card I have like 3 of them laying around LOL ?

Feedback and comments welcome

|MaguS|
09-09-06, 10:15 AM
If the popping issue is really bad then I would go for the Turtle Beach, when I had the card I loved it but I personally have no complaints with the X-Fi. What Motherboard are you using in your Core2 setup? If it isn't nforce related the issue might not occur since most claim that it only happens with nforce based chipsets.

superklye
09-09-06, 10:52 AM
Not to rub it in anyone's face, but I am so glad I haven't suffered from the popping or crackling that so many others have. I have one of the first revisions of the card, too...no heatsink for me.

It worked perfectly (apart from the drivers one time when the install froze midway) on my old Gigabyte NF4 board and now perfect again on this 570. I had SLI with a number of different cards as well and never had an issue.

That really sucks though. Sorry to see it's been such a problem for so many people. :(

rudedog
09-09-06, 12:16 PM
Old rig, is in my sig and the new MB is the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and unfortanutly both are nForce 4 based...Damn you DFI, damn you to hell... ah ok sorry about that :) .

Don't get me wrong the crackling is not that bad but it's simply the principle of anything creative does these days. The main reason I went with Turtle beach was the great sound (sounded just as good if not better then my Audigy2, and simply low profile driver install. I hate all the "extras" creative throughs in even with their driver only bins.

I loved my Turtle beach and was hoping the X-Fi would fix many of the past issues but unfortunately Creative still has not learned a thing from their past.

Maybe I install the Turtle beach and wait for the mysterious DFI board to hopefully be released shortly, then I can use my X-Fi card.

All I really wanted was a Intel based 590 chipset board.....

I really hope the AMD/ATI merger does not turn the Video card industry into what the sound card industry is today, Only one major player with no real competition = crappy support, bad drivers and ho-hum hardware.

a12ctic
09-09-06, 01:33 PM
go with the turtle beach, i prefer their SQ better anyway.