PDA

View Full Version : So, now that RC1 is out, do DX9 games run better on Vista or what?

Pages : [1] 2 3

aweigh0101
09-10-06, 12:31 AM
I'm just wondering. I downloaded the 32-bit ISO but I haven't gotten around to installing it because I don't want to reformat. And every other site says you shouldn't upgrade from XP because it will mess everything up.

Anyone tried heavy gaming on RC1 yet? What are your frames per second like? Any in-game benchmarks? (I'm not interested in synthetic benchies, they're useless except for e-penis comparisons)

Any input at all would be appreciated.

K007
09-10-06, 12:50 AM
Its hard to do anything when the drivers are not supported. Crysis people said that DX9 Hardware+ Vista is faster than XP while using 64bit Vista will give u another boost

aweigh0101
09-10-06, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I read that interview too. That's the one where they say the console versions will be dumbed down, which is good news. :D

nekrosoft13
09-10-06, 01:42 AM
they should put the term "dumbed down" on the cover of console version

exlusive dumbed down version

rewt
09-10-06, 09:15 AM
lol. Yeah now that's good marketing! (Ok not really, but at least they'd be telling the truth).

I personally haven't even attempted playing any games on Vista yet. I already know what the result will be, and it ain't pretty..

Slammin
09-10-06, 10:56 AM
LockOn Flaming Cliffs - plays the same as on XP.

IL-2 Forgotten Battles - Cannot get 1920x1200 OpenGL to work. Also, very low FPS in OpenGL mode but DirectX mode at 1600x1200 plays almost as good as in XP. Inconsistent frame rates - sometimes much higher than XP and sometimes much lower than XP. Very playable though.

Falcon4 Allied Force - plays the same as on XP.

GTR2 demo - Plays smoother than XP.

Doom3 - Unplayable, probably due to no SLi support - frame rates suck!

GRAW - Same as above - too slow!

MS FSX demo - Plays about the same, if not smoother than XP.

Keep in mind that the current nVidia Vista drivers do not seem to be able to activate any AA or Ansio even when you set it in the CP.

No problem with Cougar drivers, TrackIR drivers, TouchBuddy. Creative beta drivers for my X-Fi work, but only in stereo for most games. Strange.

HyperLobby doesn't work - complains of missing .dll

Really, I've been running Vista more than XP lately because overall it just feels snappier, and I like to tinker anyway.

Once nVidia and Creative gets some better drivers, I'll be booting into XP even less.

aweigh0101
09-10-06, 11:23 AM
Thanks a lot for that informative reply! That's pretty much what I was expecting.

thunderhippo
09-10-06, 02:38 PM
World of Warcraft runs great.. of course.
Counter Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source run outstanding.

That's all I play anyhow so all is well for me. (nana2)

VISTA RC1 Build 5600
EVGA6800gt
running: 96.33_forceware_winvista_x86_international drivers

Absolution
09-10-06, 06:29 PM
you guys serious? I'm still getting 49 fps on the css stress test with a 7800GTX when I get 140fps in xp with the same settings.

warcraft 3 plays like crap too with AA/AF on

the driver support is still pretty poor.

XxDeadlyxX
09-10-06, 11:03 PM
you guys serious? I'm still getting 49 fps on the css stress test with a 7800GTX when I get 140fps in xp with the same settings.

warcraft 3 plays like crap too with AA/AF on

the driver support is still pretty poor.

Hmm I dont know if the fps difference is THAT big on my setup, but it is still muchworse than XP. Driver support is still very poor, damn I have a feeling even at RTM we wont have good complete drivers. :thumbdwn:

Grechie
09-11-06, 02:41 AM
how do i even get the CP to even come up, ive installed nvidias 96.33 drivers for vista, everythigns sweet but no CP!

K007
09-11-06, 03:37 AM
we need real drivers dammit :(..its like a candy..that cant be unwrapped till christmas /cry..

Slammin
09-11-06, 06:32 AM
how do i even get the CP to even come up, ive installed nvidias 96.33 drivers for vista, everythigns sweet but no CP!

You'll find the nVidia control panel undert Start/settings/Control Panel

HighTest
09-11-06, 01:36 PM
we need real drivers dammit :(..its like a candy..that cant be unwrapped till christmas /cry..

With the number of gaming issues I'm noting even with RC1, I'm not going to unwrap this one probably until Christmas '07. All those drivers and other carp should be worked out by then.

Early adapters can both brag and gnash their teeth in frustration at the same time. By the time I'm gaming with Vista, it should be smooth as pie :p

Slammin
09-11-06, 02:00 PM
Who's gnashing and stuff? I dual boot.

Just did find out that FlatOut2 won't run. Game says it's looking for DX9c!

Doh!

edit: FlatOut2 does work well with Vista! You do need to let it install the DX9c runtimes. I cannot run it at 1920x1200 but so far it runs buttery smooth at 1280x960 with 4x AA. Also getting full surround sound and it actually, just as with other games that give full surround under Vista, sound better than under XP. Seems the audio has much better positional separation under Vista.

Also, after running dxdiag, it still says I'm running DX10, so looks like I didn't break anything :-)

Xion X2
09-11-06, 02:14 PM
I dual boot.

How are you going about this, Slammin? I'd like to start using Vista but at the same time don't want to give up the reliability of XP.

Slammin
09-11-06, 02:42 PM
My XP is on a raid0 and I have Vista setup on an extra hard drive. I go into the bios to switch the boot order because I didn't want to take any chances with Vista borking up my XP boot block.

As a side note, you can use EasyBCD or VistaBootPRO to restore XP or Vista boot block, so if you do decide to install Vista while XP is up and running, you can use either of those programs to restore your bootblock, even if you don't already have them backed up.

Absolution
09-11-06, 06:33 PM
Same, I'm dual booting; xp on my main drive, vista on a secondary one

Xion X2
09-11-06, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I might give this a try since I already have two drives.

garikfox
09-11-06, 11:16 PM
Hand's Down !!

Vista SMOKE's XP in games/loading times etc.

OMG...

Eg..

In between WoW loads/Screen diffrences.2/3rds FASTER ! WOW !

Another Eg., I walk or port into IF, Not even 2 sec. im there WOOO !

Now thats FAST !!

JamesDax
09-12-06, 08:10 AM
WoW runs like butter for me. Don't know why anyone would be having any problems with it.

Stanley Pain
09-15-06, 12:16 PM
WoW runs like butter for me. Don't know why anyone would be having any problems with it.

That's because everyone has the exact same system as you. Right? :o

fivefeet8
09-15-06, 03:10 PM
Ran Splinter Cell 3: CT without issues for a bit, then hardlocked and crashed. The FPS were fairly good though(50-60 fps) at 1280x1024 16xAF, HDR, all other options enabled. I do notice that Vista is a lot better at using a Dual Core CPU. Playing a HD 1080p WMV video on WMP11 while opening/closing/moving other windows was butter smooth. The video didn't even flinch while I was loading other applications and accessing the Hard drive. I'd get a little stutter with Xp pro doing the same thing.

aweigh0101
09-15-06, 09:53 PM
That isn't necessarily due to better multi-core support, but rather the way Vista handles video as opposed to XP. If you disactivate one of your cores, your video still won't flicker or jitter.

3D desktop engine FTW.

garikfox
09-15-06, 11:01 PM
....No wonder why poeples stuff doesnt work...... (pirate)