PDA

View Full Version : driver start-up issues : random "device can't start" - error code 10

Gibus
09-10-06, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I am stuck with this problem under windows XP PRO for at least 2 years with 2 differents mobos and 2 different cards based on nvidia chipsets !!
I have no 3D acceleration and only a slow VGA support.

I had first an ABIT AN7 with nFORCE 2, AMD Athlon Barton 3000+, 2 x 512 DDR2 RAM and Geforce 6800 Winfast A400TDH. I settled up this PC in early october 2004.

Problems began during March/April 2005. I believed that my Geforce 6800 had got an hardware problem. Finally, at summer 2006, I bought a small fanless MSI NX6200AX : same problem !!

In august 2006, I build a new PC with an ABIT K8N / nForce 3 with Athlon 64, to stay with AGP bus. T procs is always under 40C, T chipset is always under 60C! No memory problem with 512 Mo CORSAIR and 512 Mo DANE ELEC DDR2s, both at 400 Mhz.

I tried everything : nForce 2 5.10 and nForce 3 5.11 drivers; all forceware whql nvidia and many beta drivers until 91.47!

Strange thing : everything works well under linux with official nvidia 8774 whereas it cannot start under windows XP ! But, under Linux, there is no official nforce driver, but rather, partial support of GPL drivers in kernel.

Of course, my PC is clean : I have no viruses or spywares (checked with many tools), and windows XP has got all latest patches.

Whenever I believe to get rid of this problem after nvidia display drivers AND nforce driver complete reinstallation, it comes back few hours or few days after. Sometimes, the situation remains ok only until next boot.

I think the nForce driver are just buggy. Moreover, stopping my ethernet device under 5.11 nForce just causes XP to reboot !

Anyone has got an idea ? I can admit that one card (older Geforce 6800) may have an hardware problem, but a new NX6200 ?

Is there any nvidia diagnostic tools that could help me (I do not speak about benchmarks !) ?

rewt
09-10-06, 10:29 AM
Have you formatted and reinstalled Windows? I take it you probably have, since you built two new PCs, but I never know. Some people just stick in the hard drive from their old computer and start using it.. without even reinstalling Windows.

Gibus
09-10-06, 02:47 PM
Thanks for you reply, rewt.

I have formatted my HD and performed a clean installation of windows XP from a slipstreamed XP SP2 DVD, but before, on my 32 bits PC, I installed windows XP PRO from CD-ROM and I downloaded all patchs from windows update (SP1, SP2 and post SP2).

I'm sure I have no rootkit; usually I always go around on same few websites.
I am protected with NOD32 anti-virus, windows XP firewall (enough for nearly all threats from outside). I am using also using hitman pro as anti-spyware. I don't hesitate to scan from kaspersky website with their online engine; and I am behind a router.

I go back under safe mode whenever I want to uninstall a driver and I use ccleaner, so I am sure there is no trace left.

Same random behaviour, though ... perhaps, I have no luck with both cards ? But It works well under Linux ...

I sent the question to Nvidia support ...

saturnotaku
09-11-06, 06:20 AM
Try slipstreaming your Windows XP installation with SP2 and the post-SP2 hotfixes first. Then after reinstalling the OS, install your chipset drivers without the nForce IDE driver. It's really buggy on nForce2 chipsets - just use whatever one comes standard with XP.

Gibus
09-11-06, 03:06 PM
Try slipstreaming your Windows XP installation with SP2 and the post-SP2 hotfixes first. Then after reinstalling the OS, install your chipset drivers without the nForce IDE driver. It's really buggy on nForce2 chipsets - just use whatever one comes standard with XP.

Thanks, saturnotaku, but your solution seems to be heavy, and it has 2 drawbacks :

1- I have to reinstall all my applications where my configuration is only one month old ...

2- I will lose much performance with XP drivers ...

saturnotaku
09-11-06, 03:49 PM
2- I will lose much performance with XP drivers ...

No. The nForce IDE drivers offer no appreciable performance gains, especially on the nForce2 chipset. Believe me, I had one.

What type of power supply are you running? What is the brand/model and total output? What is its rating on the +12v line (that information will be located on the PSU itself)?

rewt
09-11-06, 03:51 PM
Better to format after one month than it is to format after two or three..

IDE drivers won't make any noticable difference. At least they don't on my NF4 board. In fact, according to some tests I've done, the default WinXP drivers slightly outperform the nVidia ones.

Gibus
09-12-06, 01:40 AM
No. The nForce IDE drivers offer no appreciable performance gains, especially on the nForce2 chipset. Believe me, I had one.

What type of power supply are you running? What is the brand/model and total output? What is its rating on the +12v line (that information will be located on the PSU itself)?

I have an ANTEC TruePower 430W with +12V maximum load of 20A ...
http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/127/comparatif-alimentations-3-partie-15-modeles/page30.php

Gibus
09-12-06, 01:56 AM
Better to format after one month than it is to format after two or three..

IDE drivers won't make any noticable difference. At least they don't on my NF4 board. In fact, according to some tests I've done, the default WinXP drivers slightly outperform the nVidia ones.

Do you have performed these tests on a wide range basis ?

rewt
09-12-06, 01:16 PM
I benchmarked read and write speeds. How much wider should the tests be?

Gibus
09-12-06, 04:27 PM
I benchmarked read and write speeds. How much wider should the tests be?

Have you performed your benchs on many mobos, with nForce 2, nForce 3 chips, with 32 bits procs, 64 bits procs, which memory, various tests conditions and so on ? This is what I called a " wide range basis " test.
I ask you because I have read somewhere the opposite of you are saying. Sure, it is better to test once and exhibit measures than speaking about something you have never tested, but it reflects perhaps only one case ...

Anyway, I uninstalled all nvidia drivers nForce & forceware under safe mode, done a clean swept and I reinstalled all drivers, but not nvidia IDE drivers. My config is clean enough to get back Microsoft IDE drivers 5.1.2600.2180.

Now, it is a little bit early to conclude, but it seems to solve the problem. So, I'll give Microsoft drivers a try !!!

My problem appears to me to be very T dependant : I got the problem at cold start, this morning. After a quarter, I stopped my PC and restarted it and then, the problem was gone. This evening, after a day at my job, I started my PC again and the problem came back !

As components speeds follows T variation, a race condition (competition) between 2 drivers could appears in some cases when accessing to ressources, which could lead to a conflict, especially between agp and ide drivers.

This is the main challenge when you write drivers : think about all race conditions and manage an exclusive ressource access to over drivers or part of the kernel.

rewt
09-12-06, 04:40 PM
..it reflects perhaps only one case ...

Make that two, in one thread. Besides, I've read of many other people having issues with the nvidia IDE drivers. Saturnotaku is just one out of many who can vouch for it.

Gibus
09-13-06, 01:20 PM
Make that two, in one thread. Besides, I've read of many other people having issues with the nvidia IDE drivers. Saturnotaku is just one out of many who can vouch for it.

And I thank you very much for this idea ! I have published the same thread, at http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I do not understand why nvidia has not released another driver version for those people with nForce 2 / nForce3, the great majority.
Nvidia plans to push on the market new powerful devices like Gigabit links that can agregate together. Well. I'm mostly interested in funtionalities, and funtionalities that works. I don't care of those powerful devices if this leads to a crash of my PC. Especially if the community has to wait and got "so said" corrected drivers, which are worse that the previous ones.

Integrated solutions from the same manufacturer which does not work are unacceptables !

I am very disappointed and I'll rather think of Intel solutions, next time ...