PDA

View Full Version : Titan Quest and overclocking problem

Optimummind
09-11-06, 01:56 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing problems with Titan Quest when playing it with an overclocked GPU.

Here is my problem. When I play TQ with my 6800 GT (flashed to 6800Ultra) at 420/1100, the game screen will become corrupted after a few mins (faster if there are fires on the screens) and freeze. I can't even ALT+CTRL+DEL out of the game and I have to do a soft reset.

If I downclock my card to 400/1100, the game will run fine for hours on end.

Funny thing is that this is the only game where my overclock affects the card like this. At 420/1100, other games such as Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Serious Sam 2, Oblivion, and others don't produce any glitches or game corruptions--just Titan Quest.

Has anyone else noticed their overclocking crashing their game of TQ like mine??

Optimummind
09-11-06, 04:17 AM
TQ is the game, that sets new temperature records for my GPUs... so I guess I could be a heat issue.

I forgot to mention that my GPU is cooled down by the Koolance GPU-180 waterblock. It has its own loop and it's being cooled by 2x120mm radiator setup. The peak load temp is 47 C with my room AC on at 77 F. The peak ambient temp is 43 C.

rflair
09-11-06, 07:06 AM
Anyway, check your GPU temp during TQ. Just to make sure.

I noticed the same thing with highest tempertures I've seen produced by TQ, never crashed though for me.

For the original poster, TQ just showed you that your videocard overclock is to high, lower it.

Optimummind
09-11-06, 11:47 AM
I noticed the same thing with highest tempertures I've seen produced by TQ, never crashed though for me.

For the original poster, TQ just showed you that your videocard overclock is to high, lower it.

Yea, that's what I had to do to play the game. =P It sucks though that I can't keep my overclock at 420/1100 when other games can.

The core of the 6800GT is being cooled by the Koolance GPU-180 waterblock and the GDDR3 are being cooled by the stock ramsink. I monitor temps using Rivatuner v2.0 RC16 and the peak load on the core is 47 C and the peak load ambient is 43 C.

Also, when I flashed the card to an XFX Ultra BIOS, I also modified the voltage level to 1.4 V for the 2D, 2D/3D, and 3D modes.

I wonder if TQ uses more of the GPU than the other games.