PDA

View Full Version : Got a core 2? you gotta lap it to get the speed you need.

tweaked
09-11-06, 03:34 PM
the core 2 isnt even close to flat, lapping mine gave me another 100 mhz, from 3.25 to 3.36.

first cpu i ever bothered to lap, all the others were flat enough, the heatspreader on the core 2 is very concave.

5*c cooler under load with air cooling.

lduguay
09-11-06, 03:38 PM
I wonder why they would build concave heatspreader? This is beyond me.

tweaked
09-11-06, 07:41 PM
with the p4 i think the idea was that the heatspreader would expand when hot.

core2 just doesnt get that hot. they need a redesign.

Roadhog
09-11-06, 08:35 PM
i think ill keep the warrenty on mine... I dont have another $400 to shell out if i **** it up.

jAkUp
09-11-06, 08:57 PM
I think the main use for the heatspreader is to keep people from cracking the core like on AthlonXP's.

But yes, the spreader is very uneven, doesn't make much sense, Intel could have possibly had a slightly quieter cooling solution by lapping the heat spreader.

Roadhog
09-11-06, 09:00 PM
yah, mine im sure is pretty un even... It hits 54c load with a 9500 on it. :P

nrdstrm
09-13-06, 02:57 AM
Honestly, I'm getting a bit high temps on my E6600. It's an Engineering Sample though (no I didn't BUY it)...Perhaps laping that baby will do the trick...I've had it as high as 3.5Ghz, but it runs warm (not quite, but almost hot). I'm running a decent cooler, and not in an AC room, so that might be part of it...I'll wait till the temps (ambient) cool down, then I'll try again, unless I win my E6700... :)

HighTest
09-13-06, 01:44 PM
I think the main use for the heatspreader is to keep people from cracking the core like on AthlonXP's.

Bingo, that's also the purpose on AMD 64 procs as well. Some hardcore overclockers make it a habit of removing the IHS. Of course this is instant warranty voidage and something looked at closely during the RMA process.

Roadhog
09-13-06, 06:53 PM
Honestly, I'm getting a bit high temps on my E6600. It's an Engineering Sample though (no I didn't BUY it)...Perhaps laping that baby will do the trick...I've had it as high as 3.5Ghz, but it runs warm (not quite, but almost hot). I'm running a decent cooler, and not in an AC room, so that might be part of it...I'll wait till the temps (ambient) cool down, then I'll try again, unless I win my E6700... :)

FYI - P5B reads the temps 10-15c higher.