PDA

View Full Version : E6600 Showing as a SINGLE Core!

talaash
09-12-06, 12:46 AM
Ok,

For a NoOB, I am very careful with any changes I make. I read plenty before taking a step and only perform it knowing it is safe and others have treaded the path before me.

The first OC I did with E6600 on the P5W DH, fsb 320, memory running at its full 800Mhz, no problems, 24/7 stable with orthos, prime95, I was a happy camper for my first outing.

Tried 3.06Ghz, very difficult to get it stable, I ran orthos for about 6 hours which was great, decided to go a little higher, 360Fsb, everything is fine except that Speedfan, Orthos, CPUz, even the bios doesnt have the core count when posting. Just one core! How is this possible? A bug or I have accidently killed one of the cores?:cry:

When return to the 320 fsb or even 340 fsb, bios and programs report dual core.

here is my setup

E6600 1401 Bios (just updated) previously 1305.
P5W DH Deluxe
Corsair twin2x2048-6400C4
Audigy 2 Zs Pro
320G Seagate

I have never raised memory voltage over 2.10, and vCore 1.425 was the max I have tried. Other max voltages, MCH 1.65, FSB:1.30, ICH:1.20.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

jAkUp
09-12-06, 12:49 AM
Sounds like it may be a BIOS issue, do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo?

talaash
09-12-06, 12:52 AM

Yeah the bios was 1305 up until today, I found a newer one, 1401 today so updated it once again. What concerns me is taht I dont remember seeing single core anytime before, even when I had the stock bios 1001 that the motherboard came with.:(

talaash
09-12-06, 06:34 AM
Oh so I stay away from that BIOS. Try to flash the 1305 again...

Doesnt make any difference, I went even as far back as 1001 which originally came with teh motherboard, but no difference, same issue persists. This is really frustrating, I bought everything on this system all planned for, with advise from forum "vets", first time I put so much thought into buying a pc, and this has been my worst OC experience so far :thumbdwn:

I have a feeling it has something to do with teh combination of RAM and Mobo. I dont know why, just a hunch, not many people with same setup as mine use this corsair ram for overclocking. I have found it very limiting.

to give you guys a better picture here is my full rig: with a little more vcore and Vdimm i can take it up to 3.06Ghz and that seems fairly stable too anything above 3.06Ghz causes problems

E6600 @ 2.88 on Air, Prime95 and Orthos beta 24 hours burn in, Superpi 32k 17m55s.
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, 1401 Bios (have also tried 1305, 1001)
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 @ 800MHz
ASUS 7900GT
Seagate 320G SATA II 16MB
2 x Pioneer 111D
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Chemei 22" LCD
Gigabyte Aurora FSCA1 case
Thermaltake TP 600W PSU with 120mm fan
Logitech X530 Speakers

Cooling:
3 x 120mm fans and Blue Orb 2

Current Settings:
FSB: 320, Dram Frequency: 800MHz
vDIMM: 1.95v, vCore: 1.35v, MCH: 1.55v, PCIe: Auto,
PCI: Auto, ICH: Auto

Temperatures:

Room Temperature approximately 20-22C

idle: CPU 23C, MB: 42C
Load: CPU 35C, MB: 43C

The load temperature with Prime95 was around 27C but Orthos beta took it up to 35C.

ViN86
09-12-06, 09:27 AM
sounds like reverse hyperthreading (nana2)

jk :p

talaash
09-13-06, 02:03 AM
Ok!

Let me start off by saying the problem has been SOLVED!! WOoT :D

Now, it had nothing to do with the sound card as mentioned above. It was a couple of things combined, but let me say, wow! this CPU is smart. It seems to allocate the work in a manner that is best for performance. If there is not enough voltage it will use one core to full capacity rather than trying to run both cores unstable. I think the Asus board has something to do with it too as this smart feature was not really apparently in previous versions of the bios prior to 1305.

To solve the problem, I slowly upped the Vcore until I saw both cores. It happened at around 1.435v, but could not load XP, so I upped it slowly until I reached 1.485v, which is now running the system with BOTH cores.

here is a little picture with a Super Pi 1m completed. Let me tell you guys, I am a happy man :lol:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4537/319ghzkx8.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=319ghzkx8.jpg)

Thanks for all teh help and input. Now I will continue with experimenting and see what I can come up with. Oh and also, I locked PCI frequency at 33.3, that may have helped too.

PeterJensen
09-13-06, 03:09 AM
weird :o

CaptNKILL
09-13-06, 04:40 AM
You have to overvolt your CPU to get both cores working?? :o

I think you should look into a possible hardware problem. I dont think thats supposed to be necessary.

ViN86
09-13-06, 08:52 AM
Ok!

Let me start off by saying the problem has been SOLVED!! WOoT :D

Now, it had nothing to do with the sound card as mentioned above. It was a couple of things combined, but let me say, wow! this CPU is smart. It seems to allocate the work in a manner that is best for performance. If there is not enough voltage it will use one core to full capacity rather than trying to run both cores unstable. I think the Asus board has something to do with it too as this smart feature was not really apparently in previous versions of the bios prior to 1305.

To solve the problem, I slowly upped the Vcore until I saw both cores. It happened at around 1.435v, but could not load XP, so I upped it slowly until I reached 1.485v, which is now running the system with BOTH cores.

here is a little picture with a Super Pi 1m completed. Let me tell you guys, I am a happy man :lol:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4537/319ghzkx8.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=319ghzkx8.jpg)

Thanks for all teh help and input. Now I will continue with experimenting and see what I can come up with. Oh and also, I locked PCI frequency at 33.3, that may have helped too.ehh, you should look into RMA'ing either your CPU or your motherboard, cause that shouldnt happen. when you run two cores, it doesnt separate the voltage, but instead runs the cores in parallel. that way, they get the same voltage with equal amperage.

(feel free to correct me if im wrong anyone.)

talaash
09-13-06, 04:46 PM
You have to overvolt your CPU to get both cores working?? :o

I think you should look into a possible hardware problem. I dont think thats supposed to be necessary.

You probabaly know more than me, the fact that no two CPUs react the same way or reach the same OCing height as each other. I first thought I had a really great setup since my temperatures are so low on air that people on anandtech forums were accusing me of perhaps even lying about my temperatures. I became so upset at the accusations no matter what I posted that I left that forum. None of their senior members even wanted to contemplate that on air my idle temps were 19'C at 2.88Ghz (for the E6600) and at full load with orthos beta running for 8 hours 32'C. But then I ran to this problem that i could not go over 3.06Ghz. What the motherboard was doing with the new 1305 bios is allocate the small voltage I was using to try and get to 3.24Ghz to processing to one core, even though sandra 2007 reported both cores.

So I upped the voltage until there was sufficient amount to be used by both cores and then calculation were carried by both, but otherwise one of the cores would be shown under different programs, and not always the same one.

Now i have vcore 1.5v but my load temperatures are way below those running a similar voltage on load and idle, once again this is just on air, and the superpi i get is not bad either for 32m, memory at 720Mhz. here is a quick picture i took:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1065/324ghz32mpi16m57s500qj2.th.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=324ghz32mpi16m57s500qj2.jpg)