PDA

View Full Version : Irritating UT2004 bugs...

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 04:14 AM
Ok, I've been trying to get this damned game working right for a few hours now (its 5AM).

I just installed it fresh from the DVD edition I bought a couple weeks ago. I had it installed previously (from my friend's copy... we used it to play on LAN a couple times at his house) and that installation had the same bug when I stuck my new CD key into it manually through the registry (to avoid having to reinstall the game and redownload all my mutators... which are all gone now anyway).

The problem is that it isnt saving my Mutator related server filter settings. No matter what I do, I cannot get the damned things to save. If I use a filter, it will ONLY select "no mutators". If I select "any mutators" and then exit that screen, the setting is back to "no mutators" when I check it again. This means I either get the full, unfiltered list of servers, or I get the dozen or so servers (out of thousands) that have no mutators running.

I'm getting really anoyed with this...

I did play a game online and it seemed to work fine, but randomly it dropped me from the server... JUST like the problem that I (and lots of other people apparently) have with Red Orchestra, which uses the same engine.

*sigh*

When did games get to be such a pain in the ass to play online? I miss the WON network...

... yeah, I know 99% of people have no problems with this game, its just irritating as hell having to fight with games every time I want to play online. I have terrible TERRIBLE luck getting games working online.

As funny as it is, Battlefield 2 and the PoE mod have been working flawlessly online for a couple weeks now, after putting me through HELL for the past 6 months or more. :|

EDIT: Ok, in my ranting I see I left out some important info.

I have tried deleting the ut2004.ini, user.ini and serverfilters.ini files, that doesnt fix the problem. The problem seemed to still be there in the unpatched version (3186 or something), but the main problem is that its there in the fully up to date 3369 version.

siorai
09-12-06, 12:21 PM
The only thing I can think of is when you did a fresh install, did you clean out the registry beforehand? Maybe something was left behind from the previous install that isn't playing nice?

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 12:43 PM
No I didnt manually clean out the registry...

I guess I'll give it a try.

CaptNKILL
09-15-06, 01:23 AM
Grrr... I totaly cleaned out all instances of "ut2004" in the registry and anything connected to them, but still no luck. I even patched it a different way (using the megapack, which includes the latest patch) with the same result.

Am I just dumb and doing something wrong? Can someone check this for me?

Go into the multiplayer menu, then internet, then filters. Either create a new one, or edit an existing one. Set the mutators to "any mutators". Exit the screen. Open that screen again. Did the mutators setting save?

People complained about this waaay back before these patches, theres no reason my fully patched game should be doing it too. I'm using the DVD version, but the patches install fine and I can play online fine, its just a major pain in the ass having to look through thousands upon thousands of unfiltered servers (mostly empty) to find a suitable one.

EDIT: Also, if you CAN set the mutator filters, can you please paste the contents of your ServerFilters.ini file (ut2004\system folder) here with one of those filters set? If I cant get the game to work, I'll just do it manually, but I dont know what to type in the filter line to do "any mutator".

CaptNKILL
09-15-06, 04:18 AM
Ok, well I've just been trying to live with the busted server browser, but now I cant f***ing play any games without it disconnecting, just like Red Orchestra.

I have to say, I always liked the Unreal engine, but this is seriously pissing me off. I just bought this game and I cant even have a decent game online without it disconnecting randomly.

I heard that updating the router firmware would work (why the hell should I have to do that anyway?) and I tried it and I *thought* it worked, but after one round I was disconnected again with no warning.

If it werent for my recent luck with Battlfield 2 online, I'd be just about ready to say "**** it" and be done with online gaming all together. Its almost always broken for me.

If you cant tell, I'm a little mad...

It'd be nice if there was some freaking support from the developers for this problem, but as far as I can tell, this is one of those problems thats been around since 2004 and anyone who experiences it is s**t out of luck.

Gee, I'm glad I went ahead and finally bought this game... what a bundle of joy its turned out to be. :wonder:

EDIT: Heres a thread at the official forums for the same connection problem that plagues all UT engine games for SOME people:
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=500995&highlight=disconnect

Its a year old and it went nowhere. Lots of people are having this problem, but no one knows anything about it and only 2 people even bothered to respond.

*sigh*

This is so frustrating...

I really dont want to go buy a new freaking router just to get these dumb games working. Mine is a few years old but it works perfectly fine with everything else I do. I think our buddies at Epic need to figure out what the hell is wrong with their internet code that causes it to randomly disconnect on SOME routers. If I hear about this happening in UT2007, I dont care how good it looks, I'm not going to buy it.

Shocky
09-15-06, 05:43 AM
First i've heard of it, UT2004 has always worked flawlessly here.. :)

siorai
09-15-06, 08:24 AM
Making the "any mutators" filter worked fine here. Stupid question, but are you making sure to save the filter and not just closing that screen with the X in the upper right?

Here's my ServerFilters.ini:

[Default CustomFilter]
DefaultTitle=Default
Active=False
Rules=(FilterItem=(Key="currentplayers",Value="0",QueryType=QT_GreaterThan),FilterType=DT_Unique,It emName="No Empty Servers")
Rules=(FilterItem=(Key="password",Value="false",QueryType=QT_Equals),FilterType=DT_Unique,ItemNam e="No Passworded")

[NewFilter CustomFilter]
DefaultTitle=any mutator
Active=True

CaptNKILL
09-15-06, 12:54 PM
Making the "any mutators" filter worked fine here. Stupid question, but are you making sure to save the filter and not just closing that screen with the X in the upper right?

Here's my ServerFilters.ini:

[Default CustomFilter]
DefaultTitle=Default
Active=False
Rules=(FilterItem=(Key="currentplayers",Value="0",QueryType=QT_GreaterThan),FilterType=DT_Unique,It emName="No Empty Servers")
Rules=(FilterItem=(Key="password",Value="false",QueryType=QT_Equals),FilterType=DT_Unique,ItemNam e="No Passworded")

[NewFilter CustomFilter]
DefaultTitle=any mutator
Active=True
Yeah, I'm not using the x in the upper right corner. The other filter settings save, but the mutator ones dont.

I'll try pasting your text into my file. Thanks :)