PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Monitor

Blacklash
09-12-06, 11:10 AM
If you need to clean your monitor screen of surface dust the heads that come on those "Swiffer" dusters are great. The finish on this monitor tends to attract dust easy and one of those heads with nothing on it works great for gentle regular cleaning.

j0j081
09-13-06, 08:28 AM
k

Bearclaw
09-14-06, 01:43 AM
Are you talking LCD or CRT?

crainger
09-14-06, 02:39 AM
Woukd work for both I'd wager. There's no cleaner or anything in the swifters is there?

Blacklash
09-14-06, 03:39 PM
@ Bearclaw

I have only tried it on my LCD and this particular one has an anti-reflective coat that is not like most LCDs. It should be fine for either. I'd examine one and see what you think. Naturally, you don't use pressure and it doesn't need it to pick up surface dust.

@ crainger

There are no chemicals in it that I am aware of. I'd recommend not to add anything to it for cleaning a monitor screen as well. I wouldn't make it wet or damp. Also solvents and cleaners are known to cause damage to some finishes on both CRTs and LCDs.

For smudges, if you ever have to remove any of those, I'd dampen a clean white cotton rag and use a dry end to compelete the clean. For CRTs some fellows swear by lens cleaning tissue for camera lens that can be found at most stores that carry them.

For lightly going over a monitor surface to remove dust Swiffers seem to be first rate. Use it on your case and rig afterwards too, and don't add chemicals or polishes for cleaning your rig or monitor.

Keep in mind I have only tried this on my NEC 20WMGX2-BK, and did so because the special gloss finish attracts dust often. As always YMMV. I posted because I was pleased at how well and how quickly it did the job.

GlowStick
09-14-06, 03:44 PM
Hm, a while ago I bought a pack of hte dusters for the intention of cleaning my laptops screen. However upon further inspection of the directions it states to not use it to clean anti-glare coated surfaces witch I belive means lcd screens. Its a shame too my screen is soooo dirty, and im afraid to try other cleaning products on it.

Blacklash
09-14-06, 03:55 PM
Hm, a while ago I bought a pack of hte dusters for the intention of cleaning my laptops screen. However upon further inspection of the directions it states to not use it to clean anti-glare coated surfaces witch I belive means lcd screens. Its a shame too my screen is soooo dirty, and im afraid to try other cleaning products on it.

Odd. I'll check that. I did clean this particular screen with it and it still looks fine. I inspected it carefully both on and off after I finished.

If that is the case then I'll change my recommendation to say use lens cleaning tissue for camera lens and|or clean white cotton rags that may be dampened for smudge removal. Some fellow use dryer sheets for clothes to keep down static on CRTs.

Drat, I thought I'd found something that would clean everything.

EDIT: They recommend putting a light coat of cleaning polish on it for general dusting. I wonder if this is the reason they say not to use it on anti-glare screens as if you did that would surely streak on damage them under those conditions. Dry and free of "cleaners", I don't know how they would damage it.

Anywho, to be safe, skip it and use alternative methods as I earlier suggested. If you plan on keeping a monitor a long time it's probably a good idea to buy a filter for protection to go over the screen. That way you are never dealing with the actual screen surface itself anyway.

GlowStick
09-15-06, 07:43 PM
Hm I may try the swifer after all then. However, I need to clean all of my lcds, however every time I try honestly I leave more streaks than were on there in the first place. For my laptop though, aparnetly it somehow attracts dust. Because i swifer the keyboard and its full the next day.

Amuro
09-23-06, 10:39 PM
I use a micro-chamois cloth that comes with an Apple approved iKlear LCD cleaning/polish kit.

GlowStick
09-23-06, 11:06 PM
I just tried the swifer, its amazing :D

It still may be bad but meh quick and painless results are great!

Amuro
09-24-06, 12:42 AM
Do take a look at the klear screen products:
www.klearscreen.com

They are completely safe and approved by companies like Dell and Apple.