PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia's New CP

Medion
09-12-06, 12:01 PM
It's been a few months since NV released their CP, and while there was limited discussion of it here, I wanted to post a poll to see how everyone feels about it.

Poll choices will be limited to comparisons to the old CP, and not ATI's CP.

Medion
09-12-06, 12:02 PM
To be honest, I was turned off about it at first. However, I forced myself to find all of the settings I'd change after a driver update. Now, I like it much better than the old CP.

I like the drop down menus for all of the setting selections, as oppoed to moving from top to bottom with the mouse (click a setting at the top, adjust at the bottom). However, the menu is a bit problematic, as it replaces the position of the slider bar after each selection. This makes it a nuisance to adjust settings that are below the slider bar's posion.

Individual game profiles were the seller for me. In the old CP, trying to change game profiles would cause them to sometimes not stick, or to replace the global settings. This became so frustrating that I'd manually change my global settings when I swapped games. Not so anymore, as the individual settings are far more intuitive, and they actually stick!

candle_86
09-12-06, 12:04 PM
your on rage3d also hehe well ill say it here agian

I played with it on my GF2 and didn't like it one bit, tried for about 6 days to set things how i wanted them and never got it just right. Went back to classic CP and got it setup in 2 minutes.

rewt
09-12-06, 12:07 PM
This poll has already been done.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70675

Medion
09-12-06, 12:07 PM
your on rage3d also hehe

Yup, started off at Rage when I got my 9600XT. In fact, I like ATI/NVidia equally, and typically just get the GPU that I feel is the best bang for the budget I've set. It's worked out pretty well over the years :)

Only downside comes when you post on forums. When you're somewhat impartial (everyone has some degree of bias, whether they admit it or not), each side accuses you of being a fanboy of the other side.

Medion
09-12-06, 12:09 PM
This poll has already been done.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70675

Thanks for posting that. Ya know, I had completely forgotten about that poll, but I noticed that I voted in it, and voted AGAINST the new CP.

After giving it a chance, I've changed my stance. Perhaps some others have as well.

siorai
09-12-06, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I voted against it in the first poll, and I still do now. I just find that the new CP is too cumbersome to find anything really quickly.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to set my dual monitors properly. It's still a pain in the ass actually. My primary sits to the right of my secondary. So in order for it to actually remain the primary, I have to only plug it in, install the drivers, shutdown, connect the secondary, position them with the normal Windows control panel, then go into the Nvdia CP and doublecheck that my primary is still actually being recognized as the primary. Complete pain. Not to mention that if you don't happen to have the Nvidia CP in advanced mode, the option to choose which monitor is primary isn't even visible. Again, a complete pain in the ass. It was much simpler with the old CP.

K007
09-12-06, 04:29 PM
ive gotten used to it :/

OWA
09-13-06, 06:56 PM
I've gotten use to it now and prefer it over the old.

Slammin
09-13-06, 11:14 PM
I still prefer the old one.

Trust it more, I guess, plus it works - everytime, though I STILL miss the color profiles switching automatically. I just pick my game color profile in advanced now, but would be cool if the color profile changed automatically like it used to.

When I set stuff in the new CP, it seems to be a tossup that what I set works or not. Then again, it's been awhile since I've really used the new CP.

Gregor976
09-14-06, 05:01 PM
I -much- prefer the old one. After using the new one exclusively since the last poll, I went back to the old one after upgrading to the 9147's just to compare.

The old one has a better, more intuitive "mostly", layout. I'd change the old one just a bit after using the new one, but it's still better IMO.

I've decided that they need to make the new one skinnable. That way we could set it up like we want, save our custom config and use it for each upgrade, adding customizations as NV adds features.

jAkUp
09-14-06, 05:29 PM
I use it as my main control panel now.

I still prefer the old one though, just seems easier to navigate for me.