PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a light gun for FPS?

MaXThReAT
09-12-06, 01:44 PM
A friend and me are thinking about putting together a type of light gun to use with FPS games. On paper itís near perfect functionality. 1.5 megapixel photo sensor, accurate down to the pixel up to 1600x1200. The gun would have ASDW as well as at least 8 programmable buttons. We've worked out a compensation for screen movement so you'll always be pointing at your target. You'll be able to point or look around using the gun with pitch and yaw.

Priced around 59.99 USB, So would you buy one? Any suggestions?

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 02:05 PM
If it worked really well, maybe.

But I dont know... I dont think there will ever be a very good replacement for a mouse as far as having full control and freedom when looking around.

How will turning work?

EDIT: Oh I see... you'll point and itl "turn" you toward wherever you point. It sounds good on paper, but its something thatd have to be perfect, or else there would be "lag" and that just wont work.

retsam
09-12-06, 02:13 PM
i think this is a pretty good idea. ive always wanted something like this...you could embed a motion type sensor in it to detect the way the gun was moving.

MaXThReAT
09-12-06, 02:49 PM
It's going to be one of two things. Software or hardware turn axis. Gyro would be costly but accurate and you wouldn't have to point at the screen to move, Or screen movment recognition through a photodiode or a combo of both gyro and sensors(IR). We've toyed with the idea of a center, no move circle and if you point outside the circle the view would pan but then your not pointing at your target and would have to move the gun to much. We've even looked at the idea of having a control arm on the gun that would act as a mouse but thats been pretty much thrown out.

Bearclaw
09-12-06, 03:38 PM
If it was available and perfect, I would buy one.

Smokey
09-12-06, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt personnally. One, a pc monitor isnt really big enough, secondly you would have to be further back from the screen, which will make the image smaller. I remeber playing duck hunt on the nintendo all those years ago, and although at first it seems "cool", its gets boring very quick!

jolle
09-12-06, 04:37 PM
I wouldnt personnally. One, a pc monitor isnt really big enough, secondly you would have to be further back from the screen, which will make the image smaller. I remeber playing duck hunt on the nintendo all those years ago, and although at first it seems "cool", its gets boring very quick!
Playing duckhunt isnt really comparable to being able to use a gun in your FPS games.
But I have to say I find it very hard to imagine it working.
Its something that has failed to break into the PC market for ages now, I spose those werent ment to work as a control for FPS games.. dunno really..
But if it works well enough to compete with mouseaiming I spose it could become interesting.. not for longer online gaming sessions tho..

Lazaredz
09-12-06, 05:01 PM
Would this work with an LCD?

Most of the "light guns" I have seen only work with CRTs. It would HAVE to work with LCDs to be commercially successful.

Maybe a thumb hat control for movement?

nekrosoft13
09-12-06, 06:07 PM
i wouldn't

gun with WASD and 8 buttons just doesn't sound good

ViN86
09-12-06, 06:09 PM
if it acted as a mouse, then moving the gun to the side of the screen would turn you and youd have to move it back to center to fire. itd be very difficult and tbh, youd probably never be able to get the arcade feel.

EDIT: yes, get has a "t" in it :o

LycosV
09-12-06, 06:35 PM
I think ViN nailed it.
The gun wouldn't really gain you anything. Games with lightguns are fun because you point the gun at what you want to hit to shoot it. In a FPS you would loose that ability, or at least the ability to do that behind you. You have to spin your guy around or look up/down. Without the mouse you would have to use ViN's method or some sort of aditional buttons on the gun to do that and it would just be so hard to use.
I don't see a gun accessory being used in FPSs until we have some sort of VR.

edit: readability and spelling

MaXThReAT
09-13-06, 12:58 AM
if it acted as a mouse, then moving the gun to the side of the screen would turn you and youd have to move it back to center to fire. itd be very difficult and tbh, youd probably never be able to get the arcade feel.

Yup that's the hardest hurdle to overcome. We would have to do either a software overlay that would emulate mouse movement. Keeping the gun centered on the cross hair would be 0,0 movement. With an adj sensitivity and acceleration curve. It would require very little gun movement but it could also enable leaning by tilting the gun. This wouldn't have much of that arcade feel at all, basically move shoot move shoot.
Another idea we've looked at is keeping the gun stationary, point it were ever you want but use a analog stick to aim and gyro tilt to move(ASDW). This would be as pointless as FPS on a console.
I don't want to let out the main idea yet. It's allot of ins and outs with hardware programming and have some nice results. It would work with LCD's but only if IR is used. We'll see how it works out but it sounds like there would be at least some interest, I know I've wanted something like it for years.

SH64
09-13-06, 01:08 AM
What if your actual weapon in the game was a Machine gun or BFG for ex. ?? ... it wont feel right when you're holding a pistol in your hand :p

nukem
09-13-06, 01:40 AM
If your going to do this your going to need good drivers. I would strongly suggest keeping the specs open so anyone can write drivers for any platform. Also you might want to keep the drivers open source so other people can fix problems for you, for free. Remember people are buying the light gun, not the light gun drivers.

My main concern about this is some people might consider it cheating. In any FPS it takes some skill to quickly aim your gun with the mouse at a target. To me it seems like it would be much easier to do with a light gun.

Also light guns previously worked with CRTs, now more and more gamers are going to LCDs. Would it work on an LCD?

Anyway if it had open drivers/docs and worked on an LCD I would consider it.

Bearclaw
09-13-06, 01:50 AM
You never know. It seems very unlikely that this could ever happen, or happen and be sucessful but who knows.

When flight simulator first came out for Windows 95 (or was it the original windows?) they didn't have any of the stuff they have now, like the rudder pedals. The joysticks were very basic compared to the one's today and they didn't even imagine making throttle quadrants for the game.

It all exists now and all those work really well with the game. As far as popularity, not a lot of people, by everything to add on to the Flight Sim but the stuff is out there.

You never know.

Imbroglio
09-13-06, 11:01 AM
the nintendo wii controller will roughly emulate what ViN was saying about what the gun would have to be able to accomplish