PDA

View Full Version : Sony's answer to Xbox Live is Xfire??

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
09-12-06, 02:23 PM
I never used Xfire for online PC gaming but it seems (as per 1up.com) that Sony will look to Xfire to power it's online gaming.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153547

slick
09-12-06, 03:10 PM
Of course.

Sony is completely incapable of creating their own stuff, so they do what they do best; blantantly copy other peoples work and call it their own, or just do a hostile corporate takeover and call it their own anyways.

|MaguS|
09-12-06, 03:11 PM
Pretty smart, SOE powering the backbone of the network with Xfire developing the software... not much Sony would need to do.

Slick, If you would have bothered to read the article you would have seen that Sony isn't stealing anything. They made a deal with Xfire to have them develop the software for the PS3...

PeterJensen
09-12-06, 03:35 PM
I hate their bloated software for pc.

Toss3
09-12-06, 03:56 PM
But it's still a lot better than sony developing their own buggy software. Now at least it'll work from the start. :)

Marvel_us
09-12-06, 04:03 PM
Of course.

Sony is completely incapable of creating their own stuff, so they do what they do best; blantantly copy other peoples work and call it their own, or just do a hostile corporate takeover and call it their own anyways.

As if Sony is the only company that does that, get real.

The overall functions seem pretty good, not to mention it's free. I'd like to see a vid of it in action sometime soon.

Son Goku
09-12-06, 04:04 PM

EverQuest (released through Sony obviously) hated my Athlon Tbird 1,000; and was just about the only piece of software that would routinely crash on that system almost constantly. I was able to play all of 10 mins sometimes, before it took that system down. Never did try it on a newer PC I had built, but everything else ran stable... As my char would run, even after the game locked up my PC, I sometimes logged back in, to find myself in some of the worst possible places/positions :eek:

At least with councils, the company pretty much has to gaurentee it will work on their own hardware, else it becomes they're problem. Can't go pointing fingers, when one develops the hardware, as well as the software :D

thor1182
09-12-06, 04:14 PM
Yes, Sony isn't stealing anything, because they are paying for it. I think what most people mean when they say Sony is stealing is that they took an unoriginal easy way out to get somewhere near the functionality of XBL. Also with this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76457, in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of fee somewhere to get some feature X.

It could be good, it could suck. I don't think we can really tell until people get to use it, and not from early leaks or what Sony PR says because neither is very reliable when it comes to PS3 information. Just look at their ‘World Wide launch,’ which I will turn to here: http://thisiswaiting.com/

This also says nothing about SOE having any sort of backbone. You might think there would be one, but you cannot assume anything here with how Sony is changing its story as they see fit. For all we know this might use XFire's system rather than Sony having to make a client network itself.

And to make a reference to the above mentioned thread:
Magus don’t take this as a personal insult, but you seem to have lost any objectivity when it comes to the PS3. Every miss step Sony has made you have been there to defend it. You seem be trying to prove the following sarcastic comment correct:

Lets review:

Random news site: "Sony's new console, Playstation 3, has been found to harvest your organs during the night."

Magus: "I find it funny this is a big deal, I mean you only need one kidney anyway. And its not like other people aren't doing it."

Bad_Boy: "Did you even READ the article?!?!111oneone? It clearly says it only harvests organs you don't need, stupid fanboys. I heard some people even feel better and live longer without organs."
The PS3 may prove us all wrong and be a great system, but you can’t be blind to the dumb things Sony is doing.

mrrolf
09-12-06, 04:17 PM
But it's still a lot better than sony developing their own buggy software. Now at least it'll work from the start. :)

This man speaks the truth.

toxikneedle
09-12-06, 04:21 PM
Umm Xfire is sooo godamn annoying, as a piece of software its a POS. The idea behind it is good but godamn does that program sucks. Have you ever tried openning links in xfire, u have to click on it like 20 times and then it opens like 4 browsers.

OWA
09-12-06, 04:23 PM
Xfire works pretty well so this seems like a pretty good idea to me.

nekrosoft13
09-12-06, 04:23 PM
haha, xfire sucks on PC, have fun on PS3

|MaguS|
09-12-06, 04:37 PM
Magus don’t take this as a personal insult, but you seem to have lost any objectivity when it comes to the PS3. Every miss step Sony has made you have been there to defend it.

I only defend Sony when I agree with them, This is a smart move for them. We all know that if Sony created the software themselves it would be a slow start since there would be bugs in the software and alot of features would still be in the early stages.

With Xfire developing the software they can take the established software and add/remove to it. They already have a backbone and with SOE powering the infestrucure that makes it reliable because honestly, SOE has never had any serious network issues when compared to other MMO companies.

I've never had any real issue with Xfire. I jsut don't use it often because its another application running at startup... which I dislike on my PC.

Son Goku, Thats funny because I had an Athlon T-Bird when I played EQ and it ran great, never crashing on me... oh and Verant were the ones who developed EQ, not SOE.

Sorry Im not a bandwagon hater like most of the people who hate Sony. In all honesty, the console market would be far weaker if Sony would have nevered entered it yet people constantly blast them... guess its cool to be anti-sony.

slick
09-12-06, 05:03 PM
Sorry Im not a bandwagon hater like most of the people who hate Sony. In all honesty, the console market would be far weaker if Sony would have nevered entered it yet people constantly blast them... guess its cool to be anti-sony.

You're right. Without the success of the entirely mediocre product that is the Playstation and the horrible business practices and ethics of Sony, we would probably appreciate the other companies in the business much much less.

I would personally like to thank Ken Kutaragi for creating the people we know and love, like Nv40 and that Gurry guy on the PS3 forums. Without his babble and idiocy being available on a global scale there would be so much less to laugh at in this world.

On a far more serious note, I guess I agree that Sony taking Xfire is a good move. Had they actually tried to create their own friends system, God knows Japan would have exploded in the process when their engineers had a creative overload. Then we have to go put out the Xfire (SEE WHUT I DID THURR?) and no one wants to do that.

mrrolf
09-12-06, 05:08 PM
Lets all hope that XFire and Sony have been working together for a LONG time on this.

I can see Sony trying to do it on their own, and just now realizing that they can't do it so they go out and contract someone else to do it. That wouldn't give Sony or XFire enough time to make it good.

ralinn
09-12-06, 05:17 PM
You're right. Without the success of the entirely mediocre product that is the Playstation and the horrible business practices and ethics of Sony, we would probably appreciate the other companies in the business much much less.
What? What the ****?

Have you been hiding in a hole for the past 7 years?

Yes, you're right. It seems even if Sony make a smart/right move, people will find some way of slating it.

ENU291
09-12-06, 05:20 PM
Some would argue that Microsoft created a successful Xbox Live because their main strength is software programming and Sony went to a third party for online gaming functionality because their main strength is hardware but then you read this! "If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true," Kutaragi told Reuters, in a moment of candor rare in the tightly controlled information flow currently endemic in game-industry media relations. Interesting but strange.

oldsk00l
09-12-06, 05:20 PM
Uhhh...maybe I'm in the minority here...but the free part sure sounds cool. I always thought MS was overcharging for a peer to peer matchmaking system anyway. Live worked great at first, but when it's on our own connections that shoulder the bandwidth used for the games all they are is a matchmaking service.

I really look forward to Sony throwing this out there. Perhaps competition with MS will help them either lower the price of Live or give something extra as a perk to compete.

gmontem
09-12-06, 05:21 PM
I can see Sony trying to do it on their own, and just now realizing that they can't do it so they go out and contract someone else to do it. That wouldn't give Sony or XFire enough time to make it good.
Sounds like that time when Sony licensed NVIDIA tech for the PS3's GPU. I'm sure Sony learned from that mistake and didn't try to build this one on their own. ;)

slick
09-12-06, 05:23 PM
Uhhh...maybe I'm in the minority here...but the free part sure sounds cool. I always thought MS was overcharging for a peer to peer matchmaking system anyway. Live worked great at first, but when it's on our own connections that shoulder the bandwidth used for the games all they are is a matchmaking service.

I need only to try and play a game online with my PS2 to understand why Microsoft charges for Live.

Live works.

Marvel_us
09-12-06, 05:51 PM
I need only to try and play a game online with my PS2 to understand why Microsoft charges for Live.

Live works.

PS2 and PS3's online service is going to be completly different. You have no idea if Sony's new system works good or not.

It's free and will have similar functionality to Live, whether or not it works as good is yet to be seen.

Son Goku
09-12-06, 06:29 PM
Son Goku, Thats funny because I had an Athlon T-Bird when I played EQ and it ran great, never crashing on me... oh and Verant were the ones who developed EQ, not SOE.

Actually, Sony were the one's who released/distributed it, and as I remember maintained the servers. In a manner of speaking, mentioning Sony here (which isn't without warrant, though I didn't mean to be taken in 100% seriousness there :D ), would not be all that different then mentioning EA Games, where a title might have been distributed by them, but... :D There was a partnership between Sony and Verant in this...

I think it had more to do with the game code running on an nForce 1 chipset, then the CPU itself. But then again, when people have run into issues with X software on their Athlons, it has in many cases proven to be more an interaction with the software and the chipset, then the CPU itself... Still, it was the only piece of Windows software in which I ran into continual crashes... Because of this of course, I never really was able to get into the game as I might have otherwise; because it just wouldn't run long enough. As I remember, there were some hardware configurations which the game was known to have interected rather badly with which cropped up in the support channels again and again. And hence my comment about, when it's a council, there's no finger pointing that can go on; aka is it Verant/Sony, is it nVidia, or whomever, when it's actually some interaction between software X and hardware Y when put together :D

Slybri
09-12-06, 07:30 PM
Isn't it kinda late in the game for Sony to get started on the multiplayer matchmaking system? I figured they would have had this done a year ago.
I would be worried if I actually planned on buying a PS3 this year.

evilchris
09-12-06, 07:40 PM
PS2 and PS3's online service is going to be completly different. You have no idea if Sony's new system works good or not.

It's free and will have similar functionality to Live, whether or not it works as good is yet to be seen.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/RRotten/Film%20stuff/koolaid.jpg

Marvel_us
09-12-06, 08:23 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/RRotten/Film%20stuff/koolaid.jpg

Right........