PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Expansion Revealed ?

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
09-12-06, 03:38 PM
Online retailer GameStop briefly had a product listing for what might be the first signs of an expansion pack to Bethesda's action/RPG The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Gamespot spotted it, but it was taken down shortly thereafter. Knights of the White Stallion Expansion Pack was listed for $19.99, and has a tentative release date of November 21, 2006. No X360 equivalent was found, so this could be an all new product, and not just a packaging of the previously released modules that have been sold for $.99 or $2.99 since the original product's launch. Bethesda declined to comment ...
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=926934&img=1&sid=6157428

i really hope this is true & not some fake news ..

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 03:42 PM
Interesting...

I still havent gotten around to finishing the main quest in Oblivion. I'll have to do that some time before this expansion comes out. :p

SH64
09-12-06, 03:44 PM
Yeah me too .. i was waiting for a better CPU to get back to Oblivion (Core 2 Duo or something better) , but looks like i'll get back sooner than i planned :D

Quickstar
09-12-06, 05:36 PM
Your mom was revealed ooooooooo (yea, i give myself credit for that one). But seriously, I loved Oblivion so much that I might buy this expansion and i never buy expansions. I wonder what kind of environments they'll add. I remember they released a winter expansion for morrowind so maybe they'll add a desert terrain? WHat else can they add because Oblivion already has great variety.

msxyz
09-12-06, 05:40 PM
The official forums are fueled by another speculation. Bethesda has registered two new names/trademarks, one of witch hints to the cult of the nine (The Elder Scrolls fictional religion). Meanwhile, Betehsda PR had to say:
It is being widely reported around the web that there is an expansion in the works for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion called " Knights of the White Stallion." This stems from a cryptic Gamestop website listing

PS: The newly registered trademarks are "Shivering Isles" and "Knights of the Nine". It's unknown atm why Betehsda registered them or if they are ES related

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 05:53 PM
Your mom was revealed ooooooooo (yea, i give myself credit for that one). But seriously, I loved Oblivion so much that I might buy this expansion and i never buy expansions. I wonder what kind of environments they'll add. I remember they released a winter expansion for morrowind so maybe they'll add a desert terrain? WHat else can they add because Oblivion already has great variety.
Theres really no telling what they could add. They already totaly screwed up the geography, scale and climate of Tamriel, so it could be just about anything. :p

Becoming
09-12-06, 08:06 PM
I don't recall climate, scale, etc..ever being all that consistant between any ES game so how could they screw it up?

CaptNKILL
09-12-06, 08:27 PM
I don't recall climate, scale, etc..ever being all that consistant between any ES game so how could they screw it up?
I dont know about Arena, but the scale wasnt too far off with Morrowind and Daggerfall (though Obviously, the world in Daggerfall was bigger). In Oblivion, you can see across an entire province and walk from one end to the other in a day (in game). The entire game areas in Morrowind and Daggerfall were much smaller, yet they took much MUCH longer to cross... in daggerfall's case I dont know if its even possible.

I wish they would have kept some sort of scale throughout the games. It makes the world less believable.

Becoming
09-12-06, 08:53 PM
I do consider part of that to be fairly artificial in Morrowind though. It took so long because you ran like an asthmatic turtle at the beginning and your fatigue took a huge hit from running. That never struck me as all that heroic and because of that, it took ages to get to somewhere that geographically speaking wasn't that distant. The fog helped the illusion of giant size also.

Not that it wasn't a large world back then, but being able to actually see to the horizon, buy a horse, and the ability to run more like an athletic/heroic person and less like an 80 year old with bad feet makes Oblivion feel smaller than it really is.

Bearclaw
09-12-06, 09:39 PM
Yeah me too .. i was waiting for a better CPU to get back to Oblivion (Core 2 Duo or something better) , but looks like i'll get back sooner than i planned :D
Agreed. The Athlon 64 3200+ just doesn't cut it when ti comes to oblivion. Neither does the 7600GT KO. I was waiting for a system upgrade as well, but if this is true I am going to start playing again. The game is just so big.....so much to do....

Bearclaw
09-12-06, 09:42 PM
I dont know about Arena, but the scale wasnt too far off with Morrowind and Daggerfall (though Obviously, the world in Daggerfall was bigger). In Oblivion, you can see across an entire province and walk from one end to the other in a day (in game). The entire game areas in Morrowind and Daggerfall were much smaller, yet they took much MUCH longer to cross... in daggerfall's case I dont know if its even possible.

I wish they would have kept some sort of scale throughout the games. It makes the world less believable.
I get confused on the times, "months" and everything else. It is snowing up in bruma one time and the next day it is melted and "spring" is there...Where can I find a guide to the time sequence in oblivion?

anticitizenzero
09-12-06, 11:32 PM
I read somewhere that a bethada rep declined that there were no expansions in currently planned for now.

CaptNKILL
09-13-06, 03:57 AM
I do consider part of that to be fairly artificial in Morrowind though. It took so long because you ran like an asthmatic turtle at the beginning and your fatigue took a huge hit from running. That never struck me as all that heroic and because of that, it took ages to get to somewhere that geographically speaking wasn't that distant. The fog helped the illusion of giant size also.

Not that it wasn't a large world back then, but being able to actually see to the horizon, buy a horse, and the ability to run more like an athletic/heroic person and less like an 80 year old with bad feet makes Oblivion feel smaller than it really is.
Yeah youre right, they really have just made it pretty inconsistant overall. I dont blame them I guess, itd be nearly impossible to have such full worlds while keeping it the scale of Daggerfall.

The game was pretty generic, but in the tiny map area it covered (in relation to Oblivion covering the whole province of Cyrodil) it had THOUSANDS of cities, dungeons, and temples scattered across dozens of different regions. There were frozen wastelands, lush tropical grasslands, deserts and mountains (though the mountains were mostly just holes and spikes in the ground). I think the game covered something like 160,000 square miles (400 miles squared), where as Morrowind was like 16 square miles (I just read this in a wiki, but I remember hearing similar numbers from the developers a while ago).

If you look at a Tamriel map, Vvardenfell (the island Morrowind took place on) is actually about the same physical size as the area covered in Daggerfall. Oblvion is probably 4 or 5 times the size of either of them.

I know they didnt really have any choice as far as matching the scale of Daggerfall, but it still hurts the atmosphere a bit for me, knowing that its supposed to be the same immense world that was in Daggerfall. That said, I'd gladly take the screwed up scale and all of the amazing details of Oblivion over the generic, randomly generated buggy mess of Daggefall. :p

nekrosoft13
09-13-06, 09:58 AM
Interesting...

I still havent gotten around to finishing the main quest in Oblivion. I'll have to do that some time before this expansion comes out. :p

how could you not finish it? it takes about 6-8 hours, has to be the shorters story in an RPG ever

Namrok
09-13-06, 10:09 AM
how could you not finish it? it takes about 6-8 hours, has to be the shorters story in an RPG ever

Well you see, the problem is...oh look a horse, hey check it out ruins. Oh man I just found this awesome spell. Hey this guy wants me to check out this cave. Awesome, level 25! I should train up my swordsmanship. I think I'm gonna become Arena Champion! Whats this Dark Brotherhood stuff?

Were we talking about something? Was I supposed to be doing something...

Oh yeah, it's too easy to get side tracked in that game :p

SH64
09-13-06, 10:26 AM
Yeah sometimes i even just spend time to enjoy the view or look for hidden stuff or trade goods ..etc
you can easily forget the main quest in this game :D (same goes for Morrowind).

nekrosoft13
09-13-06, 11:32 AM
Well you see, the problem is...oh look a horse, hey check it out ruins. Oh man I just found this awesome spell. Hey this guy wants me to check out this cave. Awesome, level 25! I should train up my swordsmanship. I think I'm gonna become Arena Champion! Whats this Dark Brotherhood stuff?

Were we talking about something? Was I supposed to be doing something...

Oh yeah, it's too easy to get side tracked in that game :p
problem with that is that, none of that really has anything to do with the story.

for me RPG should have some point, a strong main story

J-Mag
09-13-06, 11:33 AM

I dunno I think a level 1 should be a little wuss. Anyway, you always had the silt strider (which was useful in the early part of the game). Also, it made acquiring the Boots of Blinding Speed so much more fun. OR there was that one scroll that you can pick up outside the first town from a dude who just sorta falls out of the sky and kills himself. With that you could jump across the entire map.

Personally I had mroe fun installing and tinkering with mods in Oblivion than even playing the game. It was like one massive tech demo for me. I played far more of the game Morrowind.

ynnek
09-13-06, 01:55 PM
The game really died for me when I aquired 113% invisibility. You literally don't exist anymore. You can be attacking someone right in front of them, and they'll just stand there taking the hits.

CaptNKILL
09-13-06, 02:43 PM
problem with that is that, none of that really has anything to do with the story.
Why is that a problem? Thats the entire point of all of the elder scrolls games. I deffinitely prefer a good solid story driven RPG most of the time, but if I dont really want to get into anything like that, I can just sit down with Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion and get sucked in for a few hours to explore and do whatever I want. I dont think there are many other games that are like this.

Q
09-13-06, 05:23 PM
The game really died for me when I aquired 113% invisibility. You literally don't exist anymore. You can be attacking someone right in front of them, and they'll just stand there taking the hits.

Me too. Worst mistake I made in the game, honestly. Its not fun at all, anymore.

SH64
09-13-06, 05:52 PM
Can you PM me how to aquire the 113% invisibility ?

Q
09-13-06, 06:15 PM
Can you PM me how to aquire the 113% invisibility ?

You don't need 113...100 does just fine and its really simple.

Fill 5 Soul Gems to the Grand level. Make sure you can cast a chameleon spell and that your illusion is at level 50 or higher. Enchant 5 pieces of armor with the soul gems with chameleon. No big secret.

Game over. :D

SH64
09-13-06, 07:48 PM
You don't need 113...100 does just fine and its really simple.

Fill 5 Soul Gems to the Grand level. Make sure you can cast a chameleon spell and that your illusion is at level 50 or higher. Enchant 5 pieces of armor with the soul gems with chameleon. No big secret.

Game over. :D
Hmm thanks.
i wont do it now of course , but i just wanted to know as a general info.
maybe i'd try it sometime in the future when i get bored :D

Bearclaw
09-14-06, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, how many temples, inns, camps, caves, etc. is there to find in oblivion? Just wondering, so I can have some idea..