PDA

View Full Version : Internal HD-DVD drive in the works for the Xbox 360

ENU291
09-13-06, 09:23 AM
Is this a good idea? Who knows... I guess it all depends on price..

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060913A6035.html

|MaguS|
09-13-06, 11:24 AM
MS went on the record and said that there wouldn't be an internal HD-DVD Drive in the X360.

thor1182
09-13-06, 12:37 PM
Yeah I saw this, and was very confused.

msxyz
09-13-06, 01:48 PM
They said they weren't working (June '06) on an internal drive. But PR talks are always to be considered carefully

I don't think it's so outlandish that Microsoft is considering an Xbox model with a built-in HDDVD drive to compete against Sony for the 2007 xmas season. As long as Microsoft doesn't start to sell videogames that require the HD drive it's fine with me.

Mr_LoL
09-13-06, 02:33 PM
Whats going to happen when games like GTA come out and it needs more than 9.4gb of data theat a dual layer dvd provides? I cant see games like that working with two or more dvds. With rpgs like Final Fantasy which is story driven its allright but with non linear games like the GTA series, I just dont know.

Namrok
09-13-06, 02:34 PM
I'd kind of like a sleeker, sexier, more feature laden 360. Sort of like how the PS2 slim came with a modem and ethernet addon built in.

Although it would be odd if we got a new version of the 360 with HD-DVD less than a year after it originally came out.

ArturNOW
09-13-06, 04:02 PM
I don't see any problems with internal HD-DVD for Xbox 360. I mean it would be cheaper to produce consoles with internal drive then sell Xbox 360 bundle with external HD-DVD. But it doesn't change the fact that we won't see HD-DVD games for Xbox 360.

Athena
09-13-06, 04:10 PM
I see no reason for MS to do this other than for marketing reasons. I do not remember any current 360 games that needed more than 9GB of space but I could see them comming some time in the future. (ie sloppy ports from the PS3) I think it will be interesting to see what MS thinks up to get by this. They could have used compression and loaded part of the uncompressed data on the HD but since the CORE version does not have the HD that is not a worth while solution.

ENU291
09-13-06, 04:37 PM
I see no reason for MS to do this other than for marketing reasons. I do not remember any current 360 games that needed more than 9GB of space but I could see them comming some time in the future. (ie sloppy ports from the PS3) I think it will be interesting to see what MS thinks up to get by this. They could have used compression and loaded part of the uncompressed data on the HD but since the CORE version does not have the HD that is not a worth while solution.The intention of the HD-DVD drive is for high definition video only. 360 games will only be released on standard DVD media.

oldsk00l
09-13-06, 08:57 PM
This is BS, not going to happen.