PDA

View Full Version : New iPods are Here!

Pages : [1] 2 3

six_storm
09-13-06, 08:59 AM
And though many people are expecting a huge change in the physical appearance, the iPod is still physically the same. However, there are some new software features that are awesome and brighter screen/more battery life! How I would like to grab a new nano or 80GB iPod Video . . .

Also, iTunes 7 . . . enough said.

www.apple.com/itunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes)

Discuss :D

mastermuncher
09-13-06, 09:21 AM
I thought they were supposed to announce the bigger screen, touch screen iPod ?

Toss3
09-13-06, 09:35 AM
I just found out that I can pick up my new Ipod at UPS today, after sending apple an e-mail regarding my broken inner screen yesterday(boy do these guys have quick customer service). I really hope I get one of these new ones! :D Probably not, but one can hope to get a none-scratchable nano. (nana2)

six_storm
09-13-06, 09:44 AM
I just found out that I can pick up my new Ipod at UPS today, after sending apple an e-mail regarding my broken inner screen yesterday(boy do these guys have quick customer service). I really hope I get one of these new ones! :D Probably not, but one can hope to get a none-scratchable nano. (nana2)

Heck yeah, dude. I'd get a refund (if you just bought it) and get a newer one lol.

Marvel_us
09-13-06, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I should get the 8gb nano in the near future. I didn't know they were scratch resistant.

six_storm
09-13-06, 11:08 AM
No comments on iTunes 7?

Xion X2
09-13-06, 12:53 PM
For anyone who has an ipod, how does Itunes work? I can get unlimited music through Napster for 14.95/mo, and that includes sync'ng to my Zen V. Do you really have to pay 99c/song through itunes like the ad said?

If so, that sucks.

retsam
09-13-06, 02:30 PM
yep every single song is 99C.... that does suck big time...

on a side note am i the only one that is disapointed that there is no 100gig version?

Xion X2
09-13-06, 02:35 PM
yep every single song is 99C.... that does suck big time...

on a side note am i the only one that is disapointed that there is no 100gig version?

Wow.. what a major drag. I'm surprised so many people still buy them, then.

I've downloaded over 100 albums thru Napster in the last week for $14.95. That would've cost me 10 songs/album/100 albums = $1,000 thru itunes. Insane.

retsam
09-13-06, 02:48 PM
Wow.. what a major drag. I'm surprised so many people still buy them, then.

I've downloaded over 100 albums thru Napster in the last week for $14.95. That would've cost me 10 songs/album/100 albums = $1,000 thru itunes. Insane.
ya, it really is nuts.

Bearclaw
09-13-06, 02:55 PM
ya, it really is nuts.
Agreed, but most of my music is what I already own and have bought. I rarely use the itunes store. So what new features does itunes 7 have?

six_storm
09-13-06, 03:29 PM
Most of the music I have is older stuff that I've either had a CD for, gotten from a friend or just plain d/led them from Kazaa or whomever. .99 cents isn't bad, especially when the usual happens: 1-3 songs are good and the rest suck on an album. Most CDs I've d/led from iTunes are $10, cheaper than any retail.

One reason Napster wouldn't work for me is because it's Windoze only . . . It's rare that I really d/l a ton of music anyways.

|JuiceZ|
09-13-06, 03:30 PM
*ahem* (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76592)

;)

a12ctic
09-13-06, 03:34 PM
if you want a 8gb player, go for the sansa, their great peices of hardware ;)

nVidi0t
09-13-06, 05:56 PM
iTunes 7 is just owning.

nV`andrew
09-13-06, 10:44 PM
For anyone who has an ipod, how does Itunes work? I can get unlimited music through Napster for 14.95/mo, and that includes sync'ng to my Zen V. Do you really have to pay 99c/song through itunes like the ad said?

If so, that sucks.

i recently boguht the Zen V M and im in ****ing lvoe with this thing!!! i like it a lot more than my brothers ipod 30gb video, and uh, especially when it comes to videos

a12ctic
09-14-06, 07:19 AM
i recently boguht the Zen V M and im in ****ing lvoe with this thing!!! i like it a lot more than my brothers ipod 30gb video, and uh, especially when it comes to videos
definatly, people need to pull away from apple and try the "alternative" players, most of them have got up to apple, and some are even superior.

Xion X2
09-14-06, 07:28 AM

Yeah, I took a look at that one but it was more than I was willing to spend. I didn't care anything about playing videos, either. But yeah, the Vision M is nice.

But yeah, the best thing about the Zen is that it plays several different formats and you can download music from anywhere. There are several good services out there that you can use (Napster, Yahoo Unlimited, etc.) that charge a low monthly fee for unlimited downloads. And even before they start charging you, most of them have a free trial period. I downloaded over 50 albums during my free trial period!

Something else that I like about the Zen V is it also has a voice recorder built into it which helps those of us in college. I record all my lectures with it and then burn them to my PC.

This is the model I have, btw. I love how small it is; it's the size of a keyless entry:

http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod15283_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

Zen, FTW. :D

lightman
09-14-06, 07:43 AM
definatly, people need to pull away from apple and try the "alternative" players, most of them have got up to apple, and some are even superior.

Just to know, what's so wrong with Apple ?

/me waits for another rant on DRM...

Namrok
09-14-06, 07:44 AM
I'm waiting for the Zen Vision W to come stateside. It's supposed to have a 4.5" 16:9 display. :drooling:

Xion X2
09-14-06, 07:49 AM
Just to know, what's so wrong with Apple ?

/me waits for another rant on DRM...

I like the ipods, but I'd say three clear disadvantages they have compared to the Creative's like mine are:

1) No voice recorder

2) Only plays itunes music formats (not wav or wma)

3) itunes charges you 99c/song, whereas napster--which I use for my Zen V--offers you unlimited downloads for around 10$/mo (14.95 to sync to your MP3, but you can do this yourself.)

lightman
09-14-06, 08:02 AM
I like the ipods, but I'd say three clear disadvantages they have compared to the Creative's like mine are:

1) No voice recorder

Cool, but useful only if you need one ;)

and mp3. And wav (afaik) is not compressed (may be wrong, though).

And, anyway, nothing's blocking you from converting wma/wav to mp3.

3) itunes charges you 99c/song, whereas napster--which I use for my Zen V--offers you unlimited downloads for around 10$/mo (14.95 to sync to your MP3, but you can do this yourself.)

1) napster is available only in the USA, UK, Germany and Canada. 2) if your player is not Janus compatible you're out of luck.

That said, I don't even use itunes. I simply rip my cds in mp3 format, and use the ipod for what it is, a player. The same mp3s then go to my stereo, so I can use my pc a huge jukebox. Simple ;)

Mind you, I'm not saying that the Zen isn't a nice player, quite the contrary, I only don't understand the "people need to pull away from apple" (a12ctic) attitude. I mean, it works, it does what people buy it for, so what the hell is wrong with it ?

six_storm
09-14-06, 08:33 AM

1) No voice recorder

See lightman.

Can you not convert it through iTunes to their format (not real sure exactly what it is)? I'm sure that shouldn't be too bad.

I know the PC "rul3z" around here, but still, I have a Mac. Therefore, there be no napster, argghh!! /pirate voice lol The other mp3 players look cool and all, but I'm sticking to my 4G iPod, it's been pretty good to me. :D

Xion X2
09-14-06, 08:51 AM
If you guys like the ipods, that's cool. I never implied anyone needed to "pull away" from them; I think arctic(?) is the only one with that mindset.

I was simply listing the reasons that I didn't go with one. A voice recorder isn't a necessity for most people, but it would be a nice bonus to have as expensive as the ipods are, and only the top model (300$+ w/ video) has it.

And anyone who has experience with trying to convert files from one type to another knows that there can often be headaches and subsequent alcoholic beverages involved. It doesn't always work like a charm. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather not subject myself to such a practice if I don't have to.

Posted by lightman:

That said, I don't even use itunes. I simply rip my cds in mp3 format, and use the ipod for what it is, a player. The same mp3s then go to my stereo, so I can use my pc a huge jukebox. Simple.

That's fine for you, but what about those who don't own a lot of CD's? New music is released all the time, and I'd like to have the ability to download multiple albums without being charged retail prices for them.

Aside from my own personal reasons of not going with one, I can understand how those of you with macs would find them very attractive. That's why it's good there are different options out there. People's preferences and needs will vary.

Namrok
09-14-06, 09:22 AM
New music is released all the time, and I'd like to have the ability to download multiple albums without being charged retail prices for them.

You know...

;)