PDA

View Full Version : Hitman : BloodMoney performance miracle

SH64
09-13-06, 09:22 PM
I noticed something strange in Hitman : BM & maybe someone can help me explain it ?!
in the "Murder of The Crows" mission i'm getting same "great" performance indoors & outdoors , however theres a big difference between the 2 scenes i'm comparing ... see for yourself :
all shots are taken @1600x1200,4xAA,16xAF,max settings using 4800+ CPU & Quad SLI system

Indoor
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20328&stc=1&d=1158199674

Outdoor1
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20329&stc=1&d=1158199873

Outdoor2 (shooting)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20330&stc=1&d=1158199873

(notice the framerate in each screenshot!)

now i'm wondering :
1) Technically how is it possible to get such great performance with all these NPC's on the scene .. i know they are low-poly models but they are still realtime rendered & have bumpmapping & all the stuff ?? geometery instancing perhaps ?? Quad SLI kicking-in ?? (although i dont really think the game is taking much advantage of it meaning even 7900GTX SLI users might be getting same performance) ..

2) How is it possible to get same if not better performance than the indoor scene which has far less NPCs & nothing thats really GPU stressing ?? is it possible that i'm CPU limited in the indoor scene ??

thoughts ? ...

crainger
09-13-06, 09:34 PM
IO made a deal with the devil?

When I had a single 7800GT I never noticed an FPS drops with all deatils maxed at 1280*1024 4AA 16AF.

There would be a certain technique (notice the NPCs repeat a lot) they have used to do the outdoor levels to keep it running smooth. IO's Galcier Engine is a great bit of gear. It's lasted all 4 Hitman games now, each have looked stunning on current hardware and have run without skipping a beat.

agentkay
09-13-06, 09:40 PM
I noticed a similar framerate situation (obviously at lower resolution, less AA and AF) on my computer. The streets were a little bit smoother than the beginning of that level. Itīs strange, but yes if I would ignore the action on the screenshots I would say that it looks like some kind of CPU limitation.

jAkUp
09-14-06, 01:51 AM
Probably CPU limited or some other sort of game bottleneck

I don't think Hitman uses instancing or anything like that, most of the NPC's are the same though, and have a very basic collision detection, even if so, I have never seen that many rendered NPC's on the screen at any one time :D

SH64
09-14-06, 02:19 AM
I have never seen that many rendered NPC's on the screen at any one time :D
Yep i'm sending these screenshots to some friends who didnt believe that a PC can do such high count of NPCs onscreen at once (when they saw Ninety-Nine Nights for the X360) ;)

crainger
09-14-06, 02:36 AM
Yep i'm sending these screenshots to some friends who didnt believe that a PC can do such high count of NPCs onscreen at once (when they saw Ninety-Nine Nights for the X360) ;)

Don't forget to tell them Ninety-Nine Nights sucks both my balls. :D

a12ctic
09-14-06, 07:36 AM
what are they talking about, the pc can probobly do 3x as the x360 with the same resolutions /poly counts that they use on the x360 scenes.

stncttr908
09-14-06, 11:16 AM
what are they talking about, the pc can probobly do 3x as the x360 with the same resolutions /poly counts that they use on the x360 scenes.
Are you so sure about that? Remember, a PC has to run all sorts of stuff behind the scenes while a console only runs a barebones OS and leaves most cycles to the game itself. Plus, 360 games are optimized for a single set of hardware while PC games must run on a wide range of configs. And the 360 has a pretty beefy CPU. Sure, the graphics subsystem might be dated compared to the quad-SLI rigs out there now, but we're talking raw processing power.

I can't help but feel that your comment stems from the fact that the 360 is a Microsoft product. ;)

saturnotaku
09-14-06, 11:25 AM

Would it be too much to ask you to pull your head out of your anal cavity for five minutes?