PDA

View Full Version : Wow, is this really bad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 10:23 PM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1993/temperaturestc1.jpg

This is insane temperature... How can this be so hot? My case runs at 30-33 C and my cards are almost melting?

I need cooling help, this is what I currently have:

A Lexta case with a Heat extracot ron back, a 120mm fan on the side door, a 80mm fan at front door, a fan from processor and the fa that comes with the Mobo. What Can I do?

DataMatrix
09-13-06, 10:52 PM
ZOMG! You need a fan blowing on those babies at the side!

They wont melt as silicon has a melting temperature much more higher than that, but it will cause damage them being that hot while ambient.

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 10:52 PM
There is, Theres a 120mm fan blowing on them

DataMatrix
09-13-06, 10:54 PM
Does taking the case off help? If so I have been told this shows that you need to work on the airflow within your case, you should have alot of fans drawing air out.

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 10:59 PM
I havent tried taking the door off, and I only have 2 head extractors, one is part of the PSU and doesn't do anything to the case, and the other is at back of the case. The rest are fans, my friend tells me I should change the case since Lexta with 2 cards has small space for ventillation.

But I was thinking, what if I add a fan under the case to blow on the cards? and also, a fan at the top of the case, and maybe one at the DVD part since I only have one drive.

But I don't know if i should add any extractors. or where

crainger
09-13-06, 11:03 PM
We need info about your case stat! Pic would be good.

That way we can draw up some kind of plan.

A side fan drawing air in from the outside right over both cards it the best solution. May require some case modding, but its the best mod for Quad SLI. Though you already have a setup like that from the sounds of it... New case perhaps? CoolerMaster 830? One of the ThermalTakes with the big side fan?

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 11:06 PM
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3116

I can't take a pic of my own case cus I have no camera, thats it tho. I had to take the fan at the top off because of the PSU being so big. And no, I haven't done any modifications yet, just thinking what to do right now

crainger
09-13-06, 11:10 PM
That case looks like it should be giving enough cooling. I'm guess from the 4 cores we are dealing with Quad SLI. What does the nvidia classic control panel say? Perhaps Everest is reporting the temps wrong.

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 11:12 PM
Nvidia classic doesn't report any temperatures, but the new control panel says 87-89

DataMatrix
09-13-06, 11:14 PM
You should have a fan at the bottom front drawing air in and a couple of fans at the back (under the PSU) drawing air out.

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 11:16 PM
There is a 120mm fan at the back extracting air under the PSU already, also on the lower front of the case, I don't see it possible to put a fan, I can put a fan OUTSIDE the case RIGHT under the cards, but dunno if make it blow on them or extract air

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 11:19 PM
Check this out:

http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/

Click the pics, Picture 4 and 5 show pretty much how the case is. If you notice, at the bottom theres a little thing so dust cant get in, well I could try to place a fan there but outside the case. Also ontop there was a fan, but I had to take it out cus of the PSU, but I could probably put it outside too.

What you guys think>

nV`andrew
09-13-06, 11:48 PM
well u really neeed a 120mm fan in the front and at least one in the back. and u already got one on the cards so throw a 80 or 120mm fan on the top of ur case. dont put one at the bottom of ur case, it would be a waste

you'll need a least one intake towards the front of ur case that can get a lot of air, and then the rest can be exhaust towards the back and at the top etc

Bearclaw
09-13-06, 11:49 PM
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1993/temperaturestc1.jpg

This is insane temperature... How can this be so hot? My case runs at 30-33 C and my cards are almost melting?

I need cooling help, this is what I currently have:

A Lexta case with a Heat extracot ron back, a 120mm fan on the side door, a 80mm fan at front door, a fan from processor and the fa that comes with the Mobo. What Can I do?
Any chance thos ereadings are incorrect. One of my readings says 700C!!

ChiBChombo
09-13-06, 11:51 PM
How can I put a fan on front?? theres no space..

And on the back same thing, theres a 120mm heat extractor on back, dont have space for other 120mm on back, look at pics.

ATOJAR
09-14-06, 06:14 AM
Jezzz, ive never seen temps like that, i have a 120mm exhaust fan, a 80mm fan on the top and one on the side both sucking in, keeps things nice and cool even in hot weather, CPU: 33c, MB: 40c, GFX Card: 44c, i always try to buy parts that extract air from the case i.e Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cpu cooler, this blows air straight onto the 120mm fan and out of the case, my gfx card also extracts its warm air straight out of the back of the case.... this all helps in keeping things cool, also decent thremal compound(arctic silver 5)is on all of my chips, keeping your case dust free helps to keep things cool as well, i have dust filters on both 80mm fans.. just afew tips..

nekrosoft13
09-14-06, 08:39 AM
those are correct temps, and they way to hot

what you mean there is no room in front? are you saying you have no fan in front? just in back? if thats the case, throw that case out, and get a proper case.

Xion X2
09-14-06, 09:31 AM
Remove the stock 120mm fan on the side grill and replace it with one of these babies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999030

As for airflow, you want it to map like this inside your case:

(GPU)
[[[[[]]]]]

^^^^^
~~~~~(air )~~~~~~~~~~~~[-](120mm front)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[-]
(120mm side grill)

You need some way to feed air in from the front, either on top under your CD/DVD drive bay(s) or the bottom front through a mesh (if you have one.)

And this may seem an elementary step, but make sure that all your fans are facing the right direction so that they're blowing air into your case and toward your GPUs instead of out of your case and away from them. The only fan that should be blowing out is the exhaust fan on the back. All the others, including the side grill fan, should be sucking air in. Some case manufacturers actually do have the fans facing the wrong direction when you first buy the case. Mine did.

ChiBChombo
09-14-06, 02:50 PM
No, my case DOES have a front fan, but I have no idea where it blows since its like, inside the door part. The back has a 120mm exctractor, and side door has a 120mm fan.

Top had a 80mm fan but I had to remove it because of the CPU.

nekrosoft13
09-14-06, 02:58 PM
just looking at that case, you can easily draw to the conclusion that front intake is not good, that front panel is stoping the air from getting in. really not a good case

ChiBChombo
09-14-06, 03:35 PM
Well I just removed the side door, and noticed the fan on it does NOTHING...

So I took a big fan I have around my house, and placed it across the desk facing the computer, and the temperature went down from 80-85 to 70-73.

Still not what I want, but I also talked with my brother, we decided to cut a hole at the bottom and put 2 Fans blowing right on the cards, maybe put one as a fan and the other as a heat extractor. Also, changing the door fan for another that actually blows air into them..

Maybe putting a fan ontop of the case as well blowing down, and one at the DVD part since I have enough space blowing back into the heat extractor.

What you guys think?

a12ctic
09-14-06, 04:31 PM
is water colling a option?

jAkUp
09-14-06, 04:39 PM
ZOMG! You need a fan blowing on those babies at the side!

They wont melt as silicon has a melting temperature much more higher than that, but it will cause damage them being that hot while ambient.

That will not damage the card for the short term. The card throttles at 115c. Above 115c it could possibly cause damage to the GPU. I definetely agree though, 90c is pretty hot and definetely not good.

ChiBChombo
09-14-06, 07:54 PM
Well the cards are running at 70-80 for the time being without a door.

Any of you guys play Oblivion and Counter Strike Source with 2 7950 GX2?

I got 2 questions...

1. Do you run Oblivion at MAX settings with no FPS problems?

Because I run it at MAX but I get FPS problems

2. On Counter Strike Source, do you run at max settings too?

I noticed my game gets an error most of the time when I turn Reflections and shadows on. But the Error says something about Steam and Valve etc, not vid card. But I'm not sure.

Thank you..

oh and... is there a way to make these cards run oblivion better? I was told lots of games dont support Quad Sli right now, is that the reason?

Will it support it later on?

J-Mag
09-14-06, 08:05 PM
have you tried flipping the side panel fan around to extract heat rather than pull air in?