PDA

View Full Version : Dangit I just killed my card

XP_GUN
09-13-06, 11:59 PM
Well after getting board today I desisted to put some Artivesilver on my EVGA 7800GS, after doing so I started up the system and everything worked fine. The temps were cooler and I was about to start a game up until the screen went all corrupt, so I restarted the computer just hoping it was a driver issue and then the boot screen came up and it was all corrupt looking. At this point I knew I fried my card, so then I took out the card and checked to make sure that everything was making contact, nope the Ram didnít even touch the heat sink which I knew I should of checked. :banghead: So yeah I know have a $300 paperweight at least until I see what Evga can do if anything because it was myfault.

I'm upset but not that mad since I have been needing to upgrade and now I guess this gives me a excuse to.

http://www.mousetimes.com/xp/dangit/DSC_0083%20(Medium).JPG

http://www.mousetimes.com/xp/dangit/DSC_0085%20(Medium).JPG

Lfctony
09-14-06, 12:11 AM
This is why I NEVER mess with a video card's cooling solution...

Roadhog
09-14-06, 12:20 AM
This is why I NEVER mess with a video card's cooling solution...

Live life on the edge!! ahah... I always mess with my hardware...

Oh yah, sucks you ****ed up your video card :(

crainger
09-14-06, 12:23 AM
Whoa! Thats what happened with my 7800GT. I was upset, Sparkle rejected the warranty though. They say a serial number sticker was missing (A sticker I have never seen on any Sparkle Card I've witnessed).

Hope EVGA can help ya out. I believe they allow HSF modding within reason.

Bearclaw
09-14-06, 12:33 AM
Whoa! Thats what happened with my 7800GT. I was upset, Sparkle rejected the warranty though. They say a serial number sticker was missing (A sticker I have never seen on any Sparkle Card I've witnessed).

Hope EVGA can help ya out. I believe they allow HSF modding within reason.
Ya, I remember you posting about that. That sucks.

crainger
09-14-06, 12:42 AM
It does suck. I sent an email to the Australia supplier of Sparkle. Apparently they stopped doing Sparkle card awhile back and passed me on to the new Supplier... Who refuse to speak to me as they found out I work at a Law Firm after returning one of my calls. Doesn't worry me too much. I sold the working 7800GT and now have something better.

XP_GUN
09-14-06, 12:52 AM
Well I just got off the phone with one of there tech support guys, they said that if there’s no physical damage to the card I can RMA it, even though I replaced the thermal compound. So I just filled out a RMA form and they will have the replacement here in a few days. Yeah I got off way lucky and have to say that it’s going to be a long time before I do anything such as that to a video card I kind of fell a little guilty though even though I told him what I done in full story even saying that I know have a $300 paperweight from my action. He really dident care about it and said just to RMA on the site and even just leave the compound on it.

crainger
09-14-06, 12:56 AM
Thats good news. Another reason I am happy I went with EVGA. I hope their Australian support is just as forgiving.

ViN86
09-14-06, 01:00 AM
heres some advice:

deny, deny, deny

and dont tell jAkUp :p

XP_GUN
09-14-06, 01:06 AM
lol it might of been jAkUp ;)

But no I knew its better to tell the truth then a lie epically since it was your own fault.

PeterJensen
09-14-06, 01:07 AM
lol it might of been jAkUp ;)

But no I knew its better to tell the truth then a lie epically since it was your own fault.

HIDE!!!! Before jAkUp sees this thread :p

K007
09-14-06, 01:22 AM
lol bl and grats on getting the new card -.-

Burnt_Ram
09-14-06, 08:17 AM
eVGA will honor the warrenty, count on it! they are the best when it comes to these issues ;)

john19055
09-14-06, 12:18 PM
Where did you put the artic silver 5,just on the core or did you put it on the memory.I always put AS5 on my core but do not mess with the memory because of the chance I might get some on the contacts,and artic silver5 is very bad for that.

Dr.Nick
09-14-06, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your card:( But for the future its best to play it safe:)
This stuff works just as well as Silver 5 and you can dip your card in a bucket full of it and it will still run just fine
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Rieper
09-14-06, 02:19 PM
I was actually thinking of doing a little AS5 on my 7950 GX2... But now?! No way am I going anywhere near my cards fan. It's too much of a gamble...

ATOJAR
09-14-06, 02:26 PM
I was actually thinking of doing a little AS5 on my 7950 GX2... But now?! No way am I going anywhere near my cards fan. It's too much of a gamble...

If you do it correctly its no problem and DOES help the cooling!

XP_GUN
09-14-06, 03:33 PM
Yeah I dont think ill be redoing the cooling on a GPU anytime soon.

siorai
09-14-06, 04:57 PM
I've always read that you shouldn't use Arctic Silver on your vid card. Always use Arctic Ceramique since it's non-conductive whereas Arctic Silver is due to the silver content.

XP_GUN
09-19-06, 05:58 PM
More drama from the RMA. So EVGA sent my replacement yesterday by UPS. So they came to my house today and left me a notice that they stopped by and no one was home, I was about ready to go see if I could pick up the card today when I saw that I accidentally checked off Adult Signature "min 21 of age" on the package when I meant to click on Signature required. (omg) Since im only 19 years old I called up UPS and told them the story and how I paid for the package and it was under my name. So I'm waiting here for a phone call to see what they can do. :eek2: