PDA

View Full Version : HL2 backup or no

DJMONDY
09-15-06, 03:43 AM
Hia, i just want to know if i wipe my pc completely is it a case of download steam, sign in and re-download hl2, sin, counterstrike etc which i dont mind doing.....or...should i just backup everything through steam?

Never dont it before so whats best. does the steam backup work well enough to back it up onto my external hdd.

Thanks ;)

I need a clean install on my games pc. its feeling chuggy for some reason.

Rakeesh
09-15-06, 06:53 AM
Depends on how fast your internet connection is. If it is over say 3mbit/s then don't bother making a backup.

K007
09-15-06, 07:09 AM
u can copy all those big files into another hdd or patition..thats what i do all the time..then download steam..install..after first login..exit..then copy all those files back...and rerun steam and u should be ready to go..

i usually copy the entire steam folder -.-

rflair
09-15-06, 07:23 AM
I've used the built in backup in steam and it works perfectly, especially if you just save the backups to a hardrive, nice and quick.

DJMONDY
09-15-06, 07:42 AM
Isnt there information stored on my system for steam though??

If i wipe it clean that info would be lost and steam may not recognise that i bought the games....maybe :(

Im on a 2meg download at the mo. this would be ok i guess. just leave it download through the day while im out.

If i back everything up on my external what do i need to do when everthings wiped? just double click and leave it yea??

crainger
09-15-06, 09:53 AM
Isnt there information stored on my system for steam though??

If i wipe it clean that info would be lost and steam may not recognise that i bought the games....maybe :(

Im on a 2meg download at the mo. this would be ok i guess. just leave it download through the day while im out.

If i back everything up on my external what do i need to do when everthings wiped? just double click and leave it yea??

All the important data about your purchased games is stored on the Steam servers. Only stuff on your PC is the game files and save games. Aslong as you can remember your login, you'll be fine.

Q
09-15-06, 10:24 AM
The backup system took over a year to get most of the kinks out. Now I've heard its pretty good, but it was really hit or miss not too long ago.

Lfctony
09-15-06, 10:40 AM
It's pretty nice IMHO. I did a backup of my Episode One game, made a box printout etc. It installs everything from the DVD and it just downloads any updates that came out since. Lots of time saved.

Rayman1968
09-15-06, 11:20 AM
IIRC, the built in Steam backup system doesn't backup any of your config files or custom maps/skins. So if you want to save those back them up manually.

stncttr908
09-15-06, 11:50 AM
I used the backup system once and it was fine. However, if you have any commercial backup software (or even the built-in Windows one) you can just do that, reinstall Steam, and copy the .gcf files over. This won't backup your settings though.

CaptNKILL
09-16-06, 04:25 AM
Chances are you can just copy your entire directory and then use regedit to export any steam related entires. To "reinstall" everything, just put your files back where they belong and then install the registry files (just double click them).

I've done it with other games and it works fine. The only time it might not work is if a game installs system files. I dont know if steam does or not. If it does, you could always just install steam and then copy over the installation with your backup one (this wall all the registry and system files are there).

There are lots of ways to do manual backups of programs. :)

CaptNKILL
09-16-06, 04:25 AM
Chances are you can just copy your entire directory and then use regedit to export any steam related entires. To "reinstall" everything, just put your files back where they belong and then install the registry files (just double click them).

I've done it with other games and it works fine. The only time it might not work is if a game installs system files. I dont know if steam does or not. If it does, you could always just install steam and then copy over the installation with your backup one (this wall all the registry and system files are there).

There are lots of ways to do manual backups of programs. :)

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 09:06 PM
you don't even have to touch regedit. all you do is copy the steam directory with all your games in it and open steam and bam your back. it will want your login info again and that's it. no hacks.

DJMONDY
09-17-06, 08:22 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. youve been very helpfull ;)