PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah OPEN MP Beta?!

CaptNKILL
09-16-06, 05:31 AM
I remember hearing about the "Open" MP beta that was for paying gamespot subscribers only, but I just saw that its now open to ALL gamespot members. Is this new or did I just miss something?

http://www.gamespot.com/betas/darkmessiah/index.php?tag=darkmessiah_csbox_pc

I logged in, clicked join beta and it said I was in the beta and it gave me a key.

:D

Sorry if this is old news, but I the last I heard, the only way to play the MP beta was to subscribe to gamespot.

brownstone
09-16-06, 07:24 PM
Yeah old news. I registered with gamespot just to play it. Its pretty fun. Still buggy but hey its fun.

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 02:38 AM
Hmm... did anyone have problems with the game totaly locking up some times? It freezes with the sound repeating, and I cant shut down the game or windows. I can some times see my mouse cursor, so windows isnt dead, but the game just dies completely. The strangest thing is that when I reboot, my sound is all weird and scratchy. I've never heard anything like it. All I have to do to fix it is to set my speakers to 2.1 and then back to 5.1.

I dont know if its because of my system (its going through some things right now... long story :p) or just because of the game, but I havent had any stability problems with any other games lately.

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 04:02 AM
I just played it for about an hour and I didnt get any crashes. I think I fixed whatever the problem was.

Anyways, the concept seems cool but there are a lot of little things about the game that sort of get on my nerves.

The main thing is how much the ping effects the playability of the game. A good player with a high ping is absolutely no match for a good player with low ping. They literally run circles around the high pingers, while slicing them to bits. With "long range" games its not so bad, but with all this melee combat, 100ms is a hell of a long time. Its also hard to get into it because the movement is very sluggish compared to the average first person game. Strafing is slow, backing up is like a slow crawl (and even slower while holding a stance) and the stamina meter drops after like 10 steps. I also kept getting stuck on things while walking around.

I'm sure itd be worth playing, but IMO, only if you have a very low ping (deffinitely under 60, preferebly under 30). Every round I just played had the same people at the top of the scoreboard and the same people at the bottom in every round, and it was always the low pingers at the top and the high pingers at the bottom.

Also, FF has no place in this game... especially with the lag. Accidental team kills are almost as common as actually connecting when you swing at someone. That isnt a good thing. :p

Mr. Hunt
09-17-06, 04:26 AM
Melee + source + online = crappiest game ever.

The Ship proves this... I love the ship... and yet nothing is more frustrating then slicing a guy with a katana in the face and them not dying because of the terrible hit detection with melee weapons in source.

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 05:08 AM
Melee + source + online = crappiest game ever.

The Ship proves this... I love the ship... and yet nothing is more frustrating then slicing a guy with a katana in the face and them not dying because of the terrible hit detection with melee weapons in source.
Yeah I bought The Ship and I havent played it in a while. The first one was much MUCH better. I'm just waiting for them to patch it and change it into something completely different now. Thats the only way itl be real appealing to me again.

languid
09-17-06, 04:00 PM
this locks up for me at odd times, but mostly while or when going inside, like the crypt or through the tunnels from cliff north to town centre. the game freezes and sounds repeat but i can kill the process from task manager and start it up again. i can play it for several hours with no problem then spawn in the crypt or risk a run through the tunnels and it'll crash :( this is on a64/nforce4/x1900xt..

i havn't made my mind up on the gameplay yet really, it can be pretty fun, especially as an assassin killing 2 or even 3 ppl at once with a backstab (along with your teammates;) but some stuff is very wrong, like high level priests can pretty much kill anyone 5/5 times aslong as they have mana which on the beta servers can be almost every time :( archers can be difficult to play but once you get a feel for the arrow trajectories or start to spam doorways/corners where the other team are gonna probably appear with poison arrows especially it can seem very unfair :p

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 04:43 PM
this locks up for me at odd times, but mostly while or when going inside, like the crypt or through the tunnels from cliff north to town centre. the game freezes and sounds repeat but i can kill the process from task manager and start it up again. i can play it for several hours with no problem then spawn in the crypt or risk a run through the tunnels and it'll crash :( this is on a64/nforce4/x1900xt..

Thats exactly where mine was crashing too! I wonder if its related to HDR since thats when HDR would be adjusting the most.

Roadhog
09-18-06, 12:18 AM
runs perfect here... The crashing you speak off is odd...

languid
09-18-06, 01:14 AM
played it for a while tonight on my other rig (p4/i876/x850xt) and it wasn't crashing so maybe a amd/nforce4 bug :/ i tried turning hdr on/off and going from high to low quality on my a64 but it didn't help any either way. it wasn't crashing running it in directx8 but there was alot of gfx corruption so i didn't test it for too long.