PDA

View Full Version : Need help with nvtray and 32xaa.......

Pages : [1] 2

calfcramp!!!
09-16-06, 07:10 AM
I have been trying to get 32xaa with the gx2.Does 32x aa even work.I play at 1280x720 so I need that extra goodness.I have tried on quake 3,nba live 06 and madden 07.I have the settings correct i believe.Hardware-sli mode,aa settings at 32x.This is with nvtray 1048.Also,can you have trans aa with sli?

Thanks

Craig

Grestorn
09-16-06, 08:37 AM
I have been trying to get 32xaa with the gx2.Does 32x aa even work.I play at 1280x720 so I need that extra goodness.I have tried on quake 3,nba live 06 and madden 07.I have the settings correct i believe.Hardware-sli mode,aa settings at 32x.This is with nvtray 1048

Thanks

Craig
32xAA is only available in Quad-SLI setups.

calfcramp!!!
09-16-06, 09:06 AM
Are you positive?I thought I had it working before then it just stopped.I could tell the difference in fps and image quality then in 16x....

Craig

SH64
09-18-06, 07:01 PM
Yes SLI32xAA is just for QuadSLI.

Xion X2
09-18-06, 08:32 PM
I get a kick out of guys who think they can just run 32xAA like it's the easiest thing in the world...

There isn't a card of this generation that can run 32xAA at a decent framerate. Hell, the first batch of DX10 cards may not even be able to do it.

|MaguS|
09-18-06, 09:39 PM
I get a kick out of guys who think they can just run 32xAA like it's the easiest thing in the world...

There isn't a card of this generation that can run 32xAA at a decent framerate. Hell, the first batch of DX10 cards may not even be able to do it.

So QuadSLi shouldn't be able to run 32xAA like its the easiest thing in the world? Or are you talking single card configurations...

SH64
09-18-06, 10:11 PM

For older games .. SLI32xAA is possible with decent framerate using Quad of course. (esp if you dont go for UH res).

|MaguS|
09-18-06, 10:12 PM
For older games .. SLI32xAA is possible with decent framerate. (esp if you dont go for UH res).

I would love to see Freedom Fighters with 32xAA, I can run it with 16xAA and get over 100FPS, hehe.

Xion X2
09-18-06, 10:13 PM
I don't think quad can do it, either. I haven't heard of a game that can run 32xAA at a decent framerate, no matter the hardware.

16x, maybe. Have you?

When I had my GX2, I couldn't ever go over 8x on many of my games without it slowing down immensely. Even 8x slowed games down too much for my taste, although I think I only tried it on FEAR.

SH64
09-18-06, 10:14 PM
I would love to see Freedom Fighters with 32xAA, I can run it with 16xAA and get over 100FPS, hehe.
Yep games like Freedom Fighters should be very playable @SLI32xAA :D

Xion X2
09-18-06, 10:16 PM
For older games .. SLI32xAA is possible with decent framerate using Quad of course. (esp if you dont go for UH res).

I guess if you cut down resolution and graphics settings, anything is possible. I just don't see the point of it, though. Why sacrifice both graphics and performance by cranking up AA to levels you'll never be able to notice?

I realize I'm speaking for myself here, but I can't notice a difference between 8xAA and 32xAA for most titles. At my native res, 4x does a very good job of cleaning up most jaggies. 8x would be perfect for me, but my GTX can't handle it at this res.

SH64
09-18-06, 10:18 PM
Well i agree that with high-res you wont notice the difference between 8x,16x or 32xAA or atleast hard to spot except in places with lots of aliasing , but when i get the chance to run at higher res with higher AA i wont hesitate to do it & enjoy max IQ possible , why not?!

Xion X2
09-18-06, 10:22 PM
but when i get the chance to run at higher res with higher AA i wont hesitate to do it & enjoy max IQ possible , why not?!

Of course not. I've just never witnessed a time when it didn't kill my performance. I'd rather have a jaggie here or there and be playing at a fluid 60FPS than have a perfectly clean background and be running at 20-25FPS any day.

Help is on the way, though. G80 and R600 should handle the AA much better.

|MaguS|
09-18-06, 10:54 PM
QuadSLi can EASILY run Freedom Fighters at 32xAA at HIGH Resolution. If I can run it at 1920x1200 with 16xAA (along with TSAA) and 16xAF with an over 100FPS majority of the time, I bet Quad could easily run 32xAA aslong as its supported.

calfcramp!!!
09-19-06, 03:25 AM
I got everything to work uninstalling all apps and drivers and reinstalling.I used nhancer.You can get 32x sli aa with a gx2.I run with a 27 inch lcd native 1280x720 so I need 32x aa and everything maxed out to get the image qaulity that those 1900x1200 guys get.It even says when loading quake 4 in the top left SLI 32X,beautiful man,just beautiful.So guys when it says quad sli,I think it is just a recomended setup.

Craig

Grestorn
09-19-06, 03:52 AM
How did you enabale 32xAA? By enabling "Show experimental modes" in nHancer?

Please note that especially all those additional SLI-AA modes displayed in nHancer are only setting the respective registry code, but unfortunately, most of them are not correctly evaluated by the driver.

In the current drivers, if you're using a single GX2, only SLI-8x (which is 4xMS plus 2xSLI-SSAA) and SLI-16xS (which is 8xS plus 2xSLI-SSAA) are actually working.

I think I should remove all those additional SLI-AA modes in nHancer. I thought that they would be supported by the driver sometimes, but it seems that they never will.

And, by the way, SLI 32xAA works very well on a Quad-SLI setup. Almost as good as 8xS on a single 7900GT... :)

rewt
09-19-06, 07:54 AM
I actually answered your question already, in NVTray thread.

32x AA is for Quad-SLI only. NVTray even stated this right next to the option when you selected it.

But even if nHancer was to somehow magically enable 32x AA like you say, then so would NVTray. They both set the same registry keys as nvidia control panel and all other nvidia tweaking apps..

I believe Grestorn and I have taken similar approaches in our tools, not really focusing as much on what features older generation may or may not support. Therefore options might just show up that won't work with your card, but will with others.

calfcramp!!!
09-20-06, 01:34 AM
I am telling you there is a difference guys.It says in quake 4 sli 32x and it does look different in games and lower fps as well.Yes it is the exp modes in nhancer.

Craig

rewt
09-20-06, 02:55 AM
I am telling you there is a difference guys.It says in quake 4 sli 32x and it does look different in games and lower fps as well.

(w/opics)

rewt
09-20-06, 03:08 AM
I selected 32x in NVTray. I can see SLi 32x displayed in Quake4 after enabling the load balancing indicator.

I think it's a driver bug, because sometimes I select 32x and indicator shows 16x (even though the reg entry is clearly for 32x).

Sometimes I can even trick the NVIDIA control panel into displaying SLI32x. Another reason why I think it's a bug in the driver.

You can't really blame NVIDIA though, as this mode was only supposed to show up on Quad SLI systems.

Grestorn
09-20-06, 04:55 AM
You can use the FSAA Viewer to check what AA you're actually getting. You can download that tool here: http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/files/cb46p71/d3d-fsaa-viewer.zip

I suspect that if you're selecting SLI 32x in nHancer, you're actually getting 16xS, which is actually the best AA mode available on nVidia cards, even better than 32xSLI with a Quad-Setup in my opinion. But it's also the most demanding mode, because the image has to be rendered in 4 times the normal size.

You could actually still use this mode and get better framerates, if you leave the SLI Mode to whatever the game in question requires (AFR or SFR, just use the game's original profile) and then select the standard 16xS AA mode.

This should result in the same image quality while giving you better framerates, cause your system can use both chips.

The upcoming version of nHancer will definitely change the way, SLI-AA modes are made available, because I realize now, that the current way just causes too much confusion.

calfcramp!!!
09-20-06, 07:36 AM
All I know is this guys.........I play quake 4 save it where your guy is just standing in a hall not moving.I get 60 fps at 16xs at 1280x720 set to sli aa.I go back to the desktop,change it to 24xaa and start the game up and it looks alot tighter and cleaner and lower fps.The I do the same with 32xaa and its the same thing.Please do not take it out of the next enhancer.

Craig

calfcramp!!!
09-20-06, 07:46 AM
Grestorm,I tried to use that fsaa viewer.I am lost.It gives me all this info but I dont understand any of it except card info and fps...lol

I was kind of hoping it would tell me like in english.....lol

Craig

rewt
09-20-06, 08:32 AM
How about some pics?

If you have NVTray running, just press Alt+F12 in-game and it will save a snapshot to your desktop (it will capture AA quality in the screenshot). Then post a couple of them on www.imageshack.us so we can compare..

P.S. You might wan't to change them to jpg format first (NVTweak > Settings > Preferences) so they'll be small enough to upload.

calfcramp!!!
09-20-06, 08:56 AM
No offense but i dont use nvtray anymore.I like nhancer alot better because of the more options.

Craig