PDA

View Full Version : PC games for a 7 year old. Questions.

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 09:03 PM
Right now I'm sitting on the couch while my 7 year old brother is playing Yoshi's Story on my projector setup using project64. That game is perfect for him. No hard learning curve so I don't have to explain every single little thing and do the hard parts for him. Usually with most games, including psychonauts, I have to baby him through each thing and the controls and puzzles are way too hard.
I like Yoshi's story for him because the music and sound effects aren't so annoying I have to leave the room. Also the puzzles are a rudimentary as it gets. Are there any good pc games that use a 3dcard that have very very simple controls and don't drive older folks crazy watching kids play them. I would like them to use game controller's exclusively as that is as simple as it gets and he won't have to memorize many buttons.
He has played Beyond Good and Evil to death and even that is a little much for him most of the time. I'm realizing now that cartoony graphics don't mean a game is meant for kids by any means.
If you know any really easy kid games that have a really easy learning curve please let me know. I know some of you on these boards have kids and maybe you will know. My little brother is a great kid but it gets really annoying when he gets frustrated with a game that uses more than 6 buttons and combos etc...take Zelda Windwaker game, it looks like a kid's game only but it confuses the hell out of a kid that young and they get stuck in early parts of it because they are not familar with the gameplay conventions adults take for granted.
Also maybe if there are any educational games that use a 3dcard to run let me know.
Thanks.

a12ctic
09-16-06, 09:09 PM
i think that hed enjoy doom 3.

OWA
09-16-06, 09:14 PM
Lego Star Wars I & II maybe?

a12ctic
09-16-06, 09:17 PM
i think he might enjoy postal 2 as well, that game always seemed pretty kid-friendly to me.

Roadhog
09-16-06, 09:18 PM
i think he might enjoy postal 2 as well, that game always seemed pretty kid-friendly to me.

Is it possible for you to not be an idiot? :thumbdwn:

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 09:54 PM
i think that hed enjoy doom 3.
lol..the controls and the puzzles in that game are simple but it may be a little intense :D .
I just installed MDK2 for him and configured the controller and it works pretty well. Native widescreen support and no blood.
Lego Star Wars is a good suggestion.
I'm also building my parents a Conroe rig and I'm giving them a spare 7800gtx512 I have laying around. I'd like to put this list of kid-friendly games on that pc as well.

Q
09-16-06, 10:10 PM
lol..the controls and the puzzles in that game are simple but it may be a little intense :D .
I just installed MDK2 for him and configured the controller and it works pretty well. Native widescreen support and no blood.
Lego Star Wars is a good suggestion.
I'm also building my parents a Conroe rig and I'm giving them a spare 7800gtx512 I have laying around. I'd like to put this list of kid-friendly games on that pc as well.

Try games made after kids movies. Chicken Little is pretty good, and a lot of fun. Ice Age 2 is good, also. I'm 21 and I like both of the above. :D

They're fun, simple platformers that you RARELY see on the PC and are of pretty high quality considering.

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 10:19 PM
Try games made after kids movies. Chicken Little is pretty good, and a lot of fun. Ice Age 2 is good, also. I'm 21 and I like both of the above. :D

They're fun, simple platformers that you RARELY see on the PC and are of pretty high quality considering.
I'll see if fileplanet has any demos. I think I tried Ice Age. He'd like that.

Becoming
09-16-06, 10:26 PM
Lego Star Wars 2 for sure. It's fun and fairly easy, plus you can jump in at any time to help out if he gets stuck on a part. My six year old loves it.

Starscream
09-16-06, 10:43 PM
Shrek 2 might be one to consider.

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 10:50 PM
Shrek 2 might be one to consider.
yeah he's played that one to death with a friend of his. I think I need to go to bestbuy and look down the kid aisle. Never did that before.

a12ctic
09-16-06, 11:00 PM
when i was about 8-10 i really enjoyed the original doom, i dont see why he wouldnt enjoy doom 3 ;)

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 11:06 PM
when i was about 8-10 i really enjoyed the original doom, i dont see why he wouldnt enjoy doom 3 ;)
haha. let me put it this way, I remember he snuck behind me while I was playing Gothic 2 and had nightmares about it that night. He doesn't see violence unless it is cartoon violence.
I myself never started playing M rated games until I was about 18. I remember when zombie games scared the hell out of me before then. Now all I see are pixel shaders and polygon counts and it is near impossible for a game to immerse me into fear anymore.

nV`andrew
09-17-06, 01:16 AM
haha. let me put it this way, I remember he snuck behind me while I was playing Gothic 2 and had nightmares about it that night. He doesn't see violence unless it is cartoon violence.
I myself never started playing M rated games until I was about 18. I remember when zombie games scared the hell out of me before then. Now all I see are pixel shaders and polygon counts and it is near impossible for a game to immerse me into fear anymore.

yeah zombie games scared the **** out of me when i was little, i would have ngihtmares all the time from resident evil

god, my brother let me play a couple rounds of CS when i was 5, been gaming since

oh and btw, lego star wars would be great for him and ice age 2

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 01:31 AM
yeah zombie games scared the **** out of me when i was little, i would have ngihtmares all the time from resident evil

god, my brother let me play a couple rounds of CS when i was 5, been gaming since

oh and btw, lego star wars would be great for him and ice age 2
Jeeze, CS when you were 5? How old ARE you? As far as I know, CS came out in 1999. :p
As far as PC (DOS\Windows PC anyways... C64 and Atari ST are different) games go, I started with Seal Team, Nascar Racing, Bureau 13, Doom and Cannon Fodder. I cant say I recommend stuff like that for most kids though. A bit rough. :p

I played some rediculously complicated and\or violent games on consoles before then too. I had someone help me play Shadowrun for the SNES by reading some of the dialog because I couldnt really make sense of it when I was 8. :p

I've been trying to think of some simple games that kids could enjoy on PC, but I'm just drawing blanks.

How about a paintball game? Get him started on first person stuff without any real violence. :D

LT.Schaffer
09-17-06, 02:04 AM
you could send me some money and i could send you my copy of Torrin's Passage the old sierra game

MustangSVT
09-17-06, 02:05 AM
I find it weird that you have to explain to him how the game works and what to do and all that. When I was 7, let me think, that musta been 1994, so that's around when I got into PC gaming, I was playing Prehistorik 1 and Tetris and Supaplex and Wolf-3D and Doom 1. I think my dad explained to me how to play Supaplex and Prehistorik and I was off from there, learned on my own how to play Wolf 3D and Doom. By '96, I was playing GTA and WarCraft II and Need for Speed and didn't need no instructions. In fact, in '96 I started playing Heroes of Might and Magic II, it took me a while to figure out what's going on, but I managed to learn. :D

Anyway, back on topic, I suggest Lego Star Wars (1 or 2), since it's a fun game (my dad's friend's 11yo son likes it).

I myself never started playing M rated games until I was about 18.
Wow. Is Doom (or Wolf 3D) considered M rated? I was playing those when I was like 7-8 years old.

Anyway, like someone else said, I suggest games made after some cartoon movies. Like the game Cars and Ice Age 2 and such. I'm trying to think of some other games my dad's friend's son likes, but the games he plays are bit more "complex". He likes to play James Bond Nightfire and Burnout 3.

Toss3
09-17-06, 04:00 AM
Jeeze, CS when you were 5? How old ARE you? As far as I know, CS came out in 1999. :p
BUSTED! :D Heh, kidding aside, I think older zeldas would be good too, like for instance A link to the past. I played it when I was like 5 or 6 years old and didn't undestand it(might have been bacause I didn't now English at the time :D), but it sure made me appreciate great games. I spent 100+ Hours playing it, getting nowhere; it was more fun to just roam around the "huge" world. ;)
There are other great games for the Nes and Snes, so just get an emulator and some good games(only the ones you own though!). :) He'll enjoy them far more than any pc game of today.

Edit: I seriously withdraw my statement of learning English, because I most certaintly haven't learned how to spell correctly! :D

FearMeAll
09-17-06, 08:55 AM
As far as PC (DOS\Windows PC anyways... C64 and Atari ST are different) games go, I started with Seal Team, Nascar Racing, Bureau 13, Doom and Cannon Fodder. I cant say I recommend stuff like that for most kids though. A bit rough. :p

I played some rediculously complicated and\or violent games on consoles before then too. I had someone help me play Shadowrun for the SNES by reading some of the dialog because I couldnt really make sense of it when I was 8. :p

I've been trying to think of some simple games that kids could enjoy on PC, but I'm just drawing blanks.

How about a paintball game? Get him started on first person stuff without any real violence. :D

I remember a paintball game using the unreal engine. It's real old I need to find it. I remember playing the demo years ago. I thought it was ok at the time.

FearMeAll
09-17-06, 09:09 AM
I find it weird that you have to explain to him how the game works and what to do and all that. When I was 7, let me think, that musta been 1994, so that's around when I got into PC gaming, I was playing Prehistorik 1 and Tetris and Supaplex and Wolf-3D and Doom 1. I think my dad explained to me how to play Supaplex and Prehistorik and I was off from there, learned on my own how to play Wolf 3D and Doom. By '96, I was playing GTA and WarCraft II and Need for Speed and didn't need no instructions. In fact, in '96 I started playing Heroes of Might and Magic II, it took me a while to figure out what's going on, but I managed to learn. :D

well he doesn't have any consoles or a decent pc to play games on. When I left the house years ago I left them with a pc I built out of p parts I was about to throw away. I mean this thing had missing screws and the cards would pop out of it. It was an Athlonxp1800, a gig of pc2100 ram, pirated version of xp(I have swore off piracy since my young man days), and a geforce 4mx that I couldn't believe still worked. My parents loved that pc because somehow it managed to work for about 4 years flawlessly, but it just died (think it's the powersupply, it was the cheapest one I could find) and I have all the parts for a nice conroe rig coming Monday.(was only $650 bucks including a 19" lcd monitor). They were going to go to Dell and pay about $500 more for a piece of crap p4 rig and probably a 15"lcd monitor. So now that they will have a decent rig with a 7800gtx512 in it I can put some games on it and he can get some practice.
People that don't play get confused real easily. Like my 21 year old sister, she get's completely overwhelmed if game is any harder than mario 3 and she is absolutely terrible at that game even though she loves it. 3d games scare the hell out of her with their controls that have more than 2 buttons.

ruziel
09-17-06, 02:40 PM
soldier of fortune

jAkUp
09-17-06, 02:41 PM
Lego Star Wars :D

Mesce
09-17-06, 05:54 PM
I remember playing wolf 3d from 5 onwards, great game not gory either. Straight forward. He should try it. Doom would be a little scary for him I guess but wolf3d should be great. I always remember shooting the wolfs or dogs or whatever they were and with the machine gun, sounded like it had a silencer on. Good times :D

ynnek
09-17-06, 07:12 PM
I'd just goto Target and check out their cheap kids games.

Else, save up a bit cash, and for Xmas, get a Nintendo Wii. Actually, maybe wait a year when its a little cheaper, and your kids just slighty older, so that he can enjoy the Nintendo games better.

Or an alternative is get a used Gamecube and a bunch of used games.

Bearclaw
09-17-06, 07:51 PM
I don't know if he would be into any religious games but their is one scheduled for October ot come out. It's called Deliverance and it focuses on the story of moses and you go through that. I'm testing it out for the company and it isn't half bad. The graphics aren't all that great but for kids, they will be fine.