PDA

View Full Version : Cubophobia : PhysX puzzle game

SH64
09-17-06, 12:02 AM
Its FREE & AFAIK you can play the game without Ageia physX card (you just need to install the driver) , but expect poor performance.
i'm downloading the game right now! :D

Cubophobia was designed for a realtime graphics course (CG23) of the Vienna University of Technology. It’s the result of a half years work and was extended for Eurographics '06 Graphics meets Games competition. Feel free to download the game and roll your way through.
Requirements:

* Ageia PhysX-Driver (see the Downloads page)
* At least a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (or better a GeForce 7 series)
* Some patience to get used to the physically based control

http://www.cubophobia.at.tt/

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0126452/cubophobia/screenshots/small2.jpg

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0126452/cubophobia/screenshots/small7.jpg

http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0126452/cubophobia/screenshots/small1.jpg

Becoming
09-17-06, 12:06 AM
If it's as fun as Armadillo Run you can count me in.

-edit- From the description it sounds like Marble Madness with physics? Hmmmm.

|MaguS|
09-17-06, 01:03 AM
I see nothing special in the Physics department that no software based engine couldn't do... Performance wasn't poor either... just the controls sucked.

SH64
09-17-06, 01:50 AM
The game is fun & has some fantastic visuals aswell!
the DoF is incredible & so the lighting system used. soft shadows , HDR & nice textures.
needless to say the physics are great & its running decently @25+fps (most of the time) on my 4800+

:thumbsup: for the game

Q
09-17-06, 03:00 AM
SH64, will it run on your ATI systems? It crashes for me and was curious if this was an NV exclusive. I saw that it ran GLUT when it launched, and I think that's an NV thing.

Just curious.

SH64
09-17-06, 04:16 AM
SH64, will it run on your ATI systems? It crashes for me and was curious if this was an NV exclusive. I saw that it ran GLUT when it launched, and I think that's an NV thing.

Just curious.
It crashes on my X800XT .. i think thats because it dosent support SM3.0/HDR.
i'll test on my X1900 & report back.

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 04:22 AM
This runs at less than 1fps for me and the DoF is all screwed up... anyone else having any problems with it?

SH64
09-17-06, 04:23 AM
Nope its not running on my X1900 either .. must be NV exclusive then!

SH64
09-17-06, 04:24 AM
This runs at less than 1fps for me and the DoF is all screwed up... anyone else having any problems with it?
No probs here .. which display drivers do you have ? & do you have AMD DC optimizer installed ? (just in case).

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 05:04 AM
I renamed the main exe (since it was just generic "run.exe") and created a profile for it with SLI mode set to "auto" and it works fine now.

That said, its an extremely anoying game. :p

The textures and effects are pretty amazing (the models arent very good), but the physics arent anything we havent seen a million times before and the game itself feels pretty rough. I had one of the little puzzle balls disappear completely. Then I restarted the game and got my green ball stuck behind the ramps a few times (great physics huh?). Then I couldnt get the center ball ramp to work... I hit the target once and it didnt make a sound, then I tried 5 more times and it kept missing. After I finally got it, I went down into the ribcage room and after fighting with the changing camera angle (which aims your "thrust") it eventually got me STUCK in the rib cage. My ball rolled in between some ribs, and then the camera spun around so that I couldnt free the ball using the thrust.

Bleh... Physx isnt really impressing me at all so far. I've played GRAW, Joint Task Force and now this and all of the games themselves are rather mediocre and didnt show me any interesting physics effects.

I'm definitely a Havok guy...

Man, it seems like everything I've been trying to do\play for the past week has sucked extremely bad (in some way) except for Company of Heroes.

SlamDunk
09-17-06, 06:44 AM
[...] just the controls sucked.
Hey... it's you again, complaining about the controls :D

I've gotten pretty darn good at controlling the ball now. The secret is the "c" key, which works as a brake ;)

The game (not the controls) is still pretty damn hard and can get a little frustrating at times :p

|MaguS|
09-17-06, 10:21 AM
Im always complaining about controls... God of War spoiled me...

SH64
09-17-06, 05:34 PM
Actually i had no problems with the controls at all .. as Slamdunk said though , its all about braking! ;)

CaptNKILL
09-17-06, 06:32 PM
Actually i had no problems with the controls at all .. as Slamdunk said though , its all about braking! ;)
I found it hard to get to the keys... how am I supposed to hit C while using WASD for steering? In games I use ctrl for crouch because the pinky is free, they should have put the brake on ctrl.