PDA

View Full Version : How do game profiles really work?

Stevedroid
09-17-06, 02:58 AM
As a result of some research I did trying to get my profile to work for Lego Star Wars 2, I discovered that game profiles are actually saved in the registry under the control sets section. (e.g. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{some hash value or whatever}\0000")

What role then does the nvapps.xml file play? Is it read during start up or is it just totally vesitigial these days. I always though editing the nvapps.xml would make immediate changes to games, but now I see that's not the case (and now that I think about it, I don't know how I ever could have thought it worked 'magically' like that).

Has anyone documented what the various settings here mean. They're all codes. Based on the number of game that set "D3DOGL_67207556" it's pretty obvious that's the SLI setting, but what about all the others?

In any case I now know why my profile for Lego Star Wars II wasn't working. For some reason the classic control panel isn't setting the registry. The new CP does set the registry, but it sets a bunch more stuff than I actually modified. For example for some reason it always sets the transparency AA and the color profile settings even if I didn't touch them. Either way game profiles in 91.47 seem pretty borked.