PDA

View Full Version : 7900GS + 91.47 = broken CS:S?

stevemedes
09-17-06, 02:55 PM
Just built new rig.
All my DX9 and OpenGL titles are running beautifully, except for CS:S.
Specs in sig, 3dm05=8900

When I first installed source, it would autodetect the software DX level to "0.0" and hardware as DX9. I had to force DX9 through a command line. Then once I try to launch a game, it hangs during loadup. About half the time it will actually get into the game, where it stutters and lags unplayably. I've gotten it "working", but I have to disable AA, AF, and HDR. I've essentially narrowed this down to a driver issue. Affinity settings change nothing, X2 drivers and hotfixes do nothing. Chipset drivers and DX9 are installed correctly, along with SP2. Ive reinstalled XP 4 times trying to fix this issue. BTW this isnt just a CS:S issue, HL2 and EP1 also show the same issues.

One question I have is can I revert to old drivers with the 7900GS? Im assuming only newer drivers support my card because it just came out. What can I do about this? I need CS to run because I play competitevly.

Please chime in with advice, experiences of your own, thanks =)

Zentech1
09-17-06, 03:48 PM
Same problem except with the new 7950GT. I also tried the new beta drivers 92.91 and same problem. CS:Source, detects my Hardware has Directx level 0.0, and defaults me to DX7.

Forcing -dxlevel 90 in the commandline allows me to use DX9, but as you say, can not reliably enter the game either. Video Stress test will not run either.
I tried an older driver but as you guessed , it doesn't recognize these newer cards.

Anyone have good news for this?

stevemedes
09-17-06, 04:09 PM
Thank you for registering and letting me know that this ISNT just my problem.
:thumbsup:

NV we need a fix, and fast!

stevemedes
09-18-06, 01:57 PM
if anyone tries the new beta 91.52s post back here with results!
ill post myself by tomorrow, got work today =(

bondyboy
09-29-06, 07:35 AM
I've got a similar problem with my 7900GS (Point of View) on a DFI NF4-D motherboard

on 91.47 (as supplied on CD) CS:S stress test would corrupt & lockup the PC, FEAR would also lockup if shadows enabled with maximum shaders (shadows and shaders off/low runs no problem)

I've also tried 3DGurus 91.48 same results

Tried 92.91 betas also with same results

I've even tried a couple of fresh XPinstalls with different versions of the NF4 chipset (6.70 & 6.86) & forceware 91.47,.48 & 92.91

All have the same results. :thumbdwn:

Going to try some more combinations on fresh installs on the weekend, anyone had any joy getting these 7900GS cards to work as expected?

stevemedes
09-29-06, 09:20 PM
I FIXED my problem.
PSU was culprit.

Now running an Antec TruePower 2.0 550 SLI PSU and everything is working fine. Reinstalled windows and CSS detected DX level as 9.0 plus and all my stuttering/freezing issues are fixed. Running 91.47 drivers.

bondyboy
09-30-06, 04:25 AM
thats good news, what PSU did you have previously that caused the problems>

DataMatrix
09-30-06, 07:50 AM
I had this problem, wasn't the PSU, what I did was I added the advanced launch option "-dxlevel 95" then loaded up CS:S, then closed it and removed the advanced launch option. Works perfectly.

Zentech1
09-30-06, 12:16 PM
I had this problem, wasn't the PSU, what I did was I added the advanced launch option "-dxlevel 95" then loaded up CS:S, then closed it and removed the advanced launch option. Works perfectly.

I didn't know about level 95, had been forcing 90. Anyway, just tried the same thing you did and now mine is working fine again too. I found the same thing as you, I do not need any launch options atfer the first time, just needed to launch once with dxlevel 95 set, then I was able to remove. Works fine now.

This was on 7950GT but same issue.
Thanks

stevemedes
09-30-06, 02:47 PM
I was using Enermax 350watt.

No amount of DX forceage through launch options would fix my problem previously. I had done literally 6-7 clean installs previously with no luck. So I can directly attribute this problem to my PSU. Once I installed my new PSU and reformatted, worked right away. Didnt have to force anything, it detected the DX level correctly. Glad you guys have found a fix that works for you! Frag on!

DataMatrix
09-30-06, 06:42 PM
I was using Enermax 350watt.

No amount of DX forceage through launch options would fix my problem previously. I had done literally 6-7 clean installs previously with no luck. So I can directly attribute this problem to my PSU. Once I installed my new PSU and reformatted, worked right away. Didnt have to force anything, it detected the DX level correctly. Glad you guys have found a fix that works for you! Frag on!

What we did was add the launch option then remove it and it worked fine.

stevemedes
09-30-06, 09:43 PM
What we did was add the launch option then remove it and it worked fine.

Ya i know, Ive tried.
Lemme rephrase.

If i add the option then remove, i could get it to go to DX9 mode. However, joining a game was another story. I would get as far as retrieving server info, and then it would hang for about 3 minutes before getting into the game. and then it would STUTTER horribly. Im talkin unplayayble. Now that my systems gettin enough juice its autoedecting DX9 and zipping right into the game with no stutters at all. =)

One other problem I have though is when I go to play Max Payne 2, i can play about 30 seconds of the game before my computer completely restarts. No blue screen, just hard reset. =(

DataMatrix
10-01-06, 12:26 AM
Ya i know, Ive tried.
Lemme rephrase.

If i add the option then remove, i could get it to go to DX9 mode. However, joining a game was another story. I would get as far as retrieving server info, and then it would hang for about 3 minutes before getting into the game. and then it would STUTTER horribly. Im talkin unplayayble. Now that my systems gettin enough juice its autoedecting DX9 and zipping right into the game with no stutters at all. =)

One other problem I have though is when I go to play Max Payne 2, i can play about 30 seconds of the game before my computer completely restarts. No blue screen, just hard reset. =(

Ah, I see :)