PDA

View Full Version : Add me to the list......

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
09-17-06, 10:27 PM
of now dead XBox 360 owners. It started to freeze up after I tried to play Dead Rising the other day and ever since then it began to freeze up within a few seconds of being powerd on. Hasn't been moved in months but still I tested all the wires and still it persisted untill I finally got the red ring of death. I knew the day would come with all the apparent 360 unit failures so I am not terribly shocked but very surprised being that it was played maybe three hours a week and I took such good care of it and kept it in a well ventilated place.:(

I have a few questions for those who have had a system go bad and recieved a replacement from MS.

1- Can you use your hard drive from the system that died on the new system they send you? I have heard the hd is tied to the system.

2- Also is the system they send you new or a refurb? I would really hate it if they sent me a refurb being that my system is pristine and practically new.

This has not completly turned me off of the 360 because so many games I want to play are coming this winter but it has really given me second thoughts on holding on to the system for very long with all widespread failures and I would hate to have to send in my system every few months for repairs. They have sent out a "coffin" for me to send it back to them so I hope I get it back before TGS and those new demos.:)

crainger
09-17-06, 10:38 PM
of now dead XBox 360 owners. It started to freeze up after I tried to play Dead Rising the other day and ever since then it began to freeze up within a few seconds of being powerd on. Hasn't been moved in months but still I tested all the wires and still it persisted untill I finally got the red ring of death. I knew the day would come with all the apparent 360 unit failures so I am not terribly shocked but very surprised being that it was played maybe three hours a week and I took such good care of it and kept it in a well ventilated place.:(

I have a few questions for those who have had a system go bad and recieved a replacement from MS.

1- Can you use your hard drive from the system that died on the new system they send you? I have heard the hd is tied to the system.

2- Also is the system they send you new or a refurb? I would really hate it if they sent me a refurb being that my system is pristine and practically new.

This has not completly turned me off of the 360 because so many games I want to play are coming this winter but it has really given me second thoughts on holding on to the system for very long with all widespread failures and I would hate to have to send in my system every few months for repairs. They have sent out a "coffin" for me to send it back to them so I hope I get it back before TGS and those new demos.:)

The HD should work on any 360. Otherwise, whats the point of having a portable HDD.

Depending on your service level agreement They should repair your current machine, or replace it new. Most people I know with issues just had theirs replaced.

Peoples-Agent
09-18-06, 02:01 AM
I bought a second hand Core unit from Game just for these reasons. Get 12 months warranty, if it packs in ...I can just go in and swap it out, no gripes and the hard drive is a seperate issue. Also worked out alot cheaper too.

ENU291
09-18-06, 08:57 AM
The return and replacement process is pretty painless. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until MS reduces the die size of the CPU the current problems that 360 owners are experiencing will continue. My launch 360 took a dump on me after 3 months of use. Thank goodness that the replacement 360 has been rock solid ever since. Once the new 360 models are released I'll ask MS to replace my unit.

ralinn
09-18-06, 11:50 AM
Add me to the list too. I thought mine was all ok until it started crashing yesterday. I phoned up their support and I have to send it back to them to get repaired :/

Aww

LurkerLito
09-18-06, 11:59 AM
If you get your 360 repaired or replaced, do the arcade games you bought still work the same?

From my understanding only the 360 that you bought the arcade game on can play the game using a non enabled live account. So if you have other non xblive accounts on the machine they can no longer play the arcade games, only when your account you purchased the arcade game with is signed on to xblive can play the arcade games.

ENU291
09-18-06, 02:02 PM
If you get your 360 repaired or replaced, do the arcade games you bought still work the same?

From my understanding only the 360 that you bought the arcade game on can play the game using a non enabled live account. So if you have other non xblive accounts on the machine they can no longer play the arcade games, only when your account you purchased the arcade game with is signed on to xblive can play the arcade games.
Just hold on the to hard drive. Once your new 360 is delivered connect the old drive and you're back in business. If you're using a new hard drive then your Xbox Live enabled account keeps track of what you've purchased. Just re-download the games you've unlocked. As per off line accounts playing those games... I would visit the Xbox forums to see if any mods have posted answers to that question.

ralinn
09-18-06, 03:21 PM
They told me to include the HDD... dunno if I should or not. Really don't wanna lose my Enchanted arms saves :(

BioHazZarD
09-18-06, 04:44 PM
hah i could guess what it was by the topic.. sorry to hear that :(

brady
09-18-06, 07:38 PM
That's strange that they told you to include your hard drive. I kept mine. I think most people get refurbs back. Mine was a refurb. So far so good...I don't want to have to send another one back.

LiquidX
09-19-06, 01:32 AM
That's strange that they told you to include your hard drive. I kept mine. I think most people get refurbs back. Mine was a refurb. So far so good...I don't want to have to send another one back.

What did you do with the spare hard drive? Did you have any problems using it on the refurb and what was the condition of your refurb system Brady?

They told me to include the HDD... dunno if I should or not. Really don't wanna lose my Enchanted arms saves :(

The EU has some very strict warraty policies I have read so they may be sending you a new one. I would hold on to the hd though.

ENU291
09-19-06, 09:47 AM
AFAIK if you send your 360 to MS for repair without the hard drive attached the replacement will also have no hard drive attached. I know of a few cases early on in the exchange process where the end user ended up with 2 hard drives but I doubt that is still happening today.

brady
09-19-06, 01:03 PM
What did you do with the spare hard drive? Did you have any problems using it on the refurb and what was the condition of your refurb system Brady?

The EU has some very strict warraty policies I have read so they may be sending you a new one. I would hold on to the hd though.

I kept my HD and they did not send me a new one. When I got the refurb I just plugged the old HD in and went on with my business. I don't remember having any trouble. The refurn seemed to be in good condition. It's still working well and I havn't had any problems with it. Visually there were no scratches or dents or anything. There may have been a smudge or two on the case but I just wiped them off.

Mr_LoL
09-19-06, 01:58 PM
I took mine back got a refund and I am not getting a replacement. I will wait for Sony to show their faces.

S.I.N
09-19-06, 02:46 PM
So let me get this straight...5 of you out of this thread alone had your 360 die? Ok, subtract me from the list of people who were going to get a 360. The games coming look damn tempting but the hell with that mess. 360 needs a massive recall or maybe this was all apart of the plan so you all can keep sending in your system for repairs so Microsoft can recoup some of the cost they lose on each system. PS3 doesn't look that expenisve at all anymore especialy if you sell your 360 and use that $200 towards a PS3.(pirate)

FluxCap
09-19-06, 02:56 PM
Of course you will get replies from people who have had problems on a thread about issues, but myself and a few friends had never had a single problem and some of them have launch consoles.

I can admit that it makes me nervous so I got the $30 one year extended warranty.

ENU291
09-19-06, 03:59 PM
So let me get this straight...5 of you out of this thread alone had your 360 die? Ok, subtract me from the list of people who were going to get a 360. The games coming look damn tempting but the hell with that mess. 360 needs a massive recall or maybe this was all apart of the plan so you all can keep sending in your system for repairs so Microsoft can recoup some of the cost they lose on each system. PS3 doesn't look that expenisve at all anymore especialy if you sell your 360 and use that $200 towards a PS3.(pirate)
Out of the group of about 15 people I play games with on Xbox Live 3 needed to send their 360s in for repair (me included) and 1 of the three had to send the replacement back because it died as well. Sure a good hand full of gamers have had problems with their 360s but if the failure rate was as massive as you say then the media would have been all over it like savages. Most new electronic devices have issues when first introduced. Once the growing pains fade you'll see a lot less of these types of threads.

Mr_LoL
09-19-06, 04:25 PM
ENU291 is correct. I will bet there will be a load of ps3's that will go bad.

toxikneedle
09-19-06, 05:01 PM
I'm glad my 360 broke, the replacement I got had a new DVD drive that wasn't as loud as the original Hitachi one. Plus MS do an extremely good job in replacing it, I got my new one in no time.

brady
09-19-06, 10:06 PM
ENU291 is correct. I will bet there will be a load of ps3's that will go bad.

I would not be surprised if the ps3 failure rate was much greater then the 360. That being said, I still want one.

betterdan
09-19-06, 10:12 PM
No problems at all with ours so far.

oldsk00l
09-20-06, 12:02 AM
Never a problem here...rock solid and perfectly stable.

S.I.N
09-20-06, 01:05 AM
Out of the group of about 15 people I play games with on Xbox Live 3 needed to send their 360s in for repair (me included) and 1 of the three had to send the replacement back because it died as well. Sure a good hand full of gamers have had problems with their 360s but if the failure rate was as massive as you say then the media would have been all over it like savages. Most new electronic devices have issues when first introduced. Once the growing pains fade you'll see a lot less of these types of threads.

I dont think the media really sees consoles as big deal. I think the failure rate is massive but its not like MS is going to admit it. Yes, this is the shout on the internet and blog so everyone can hear you era but I dont think a console has ever died at the rate the 360 seems to be dying and me and my brother have had them all. 1 or 2 is passable but when you got 8 guys on the same message board with dead systems that to me should be a signal not all is right. Go to any board with a console section and everyweek you will see a couple threads on my "treesixty is dead".

You all are making this pass as if it nothing but I think you all should be outraged. What if it was new Nvida or ATI cards dying like this? You all would avoid them like the plague. Though I doubt they will admit it I think it will be official that the 360 system wise is rushed mess when oldskool, evilchis and Zelda's goldplated, oblivious to all elements 360 drops dead.

crainger
09-20-06, 01:08 AM
Mine looks smug all the time, but other than that no problems and it's getting a fair workout now my gf moved in and found the popcap games :)

No probs with the old xbox either, it's on almost 24/7, is modded and runs xbmc with the fans on low speed.

You all are making this pass as if it nothing but I think you all should be outraged. What if it was new Nvida or ATI cards dying like this? You all would avoid them like the plague. Though I doubt they will admit it I think it will be official that the 360 system wise is rushed mess when oldskool, evilchis and Zelda's goldplated, oblivious to all elements 360 drops dead.

Remember the broken WMVHD decoder on the 6800 series?

ralinn
09-29-06, 08:55 PM
Now I'm pretty pissed off.

Sent my 360 away to be repaired as it kept crashing. I got it back, played a bit of doom, switched it off.

Got home tonight, switched it on, started up doom, and crash. Rebooted, 3 red lights every time.

Anyone want to buy a brick?