PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Bearclaw
09-18-06, 04:48 PM
Alright Guys, I am looking for a good, cheap laptop. Haha. I won't really be gaming, so nothing super fancy but I am trying to get under 800 if possible.

What brands do you find works best and/or best bang for your buck?

I found an acer AMD X2 Turion(1.6Ghz), 1Gb DDR, 120 GB hard drive for 799.

I thought that was pretty cool. Although, I am really looking into Hp's stuff. I customized one on their website with a Core 2 Duo and got under 1100. I would eb willing to do that maybe.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

DiscipleDOC
09-18-06, 05:03 PM
Alright Guys, I am looking for a good, cheap laptop. Haha. I won't really be gaming, so nothing super fancy but I am trying to get under 800 if possible.

I thought that was pretty cool. Although, I am really looking into Hp's stuff. I customized one on their website with a Core 2 Duo and got under 1100. I would eb willing to do that maybe.

I d'no....my job just gave a new laptop.....(nana2)

(well, new to me anyway....)

a12ctic
09-18-06, 05:16 PM

its probobly a core duo, not a core 2 duo, they havnt released core 2 duo mobile chips yet, if its a core 2 duo, youll have horrible battery life, id probobly go with the acer in your situation though, thats a relaly good deal.

Bearclaw
09-18-06, 05:20 PM
its probobly a core duo, not a core 2 duo, they havnt released core 2 duo mobile chips yet, if its a core 2 duo, youll have horrible battery life, id probobly go with the acer in your situation though, thats a relaly good deal.
It is Core 2 Duo, I just double checked. You can customize them with a Core 2 Duo, though it adds $250 just for the entry level Core 2. I just need a simple one so it isn't even worth it. I'm hoping some people find some good deals and let me know. I've been looking a lot, maybe they'll find something I missed.

Blackcat
09-18-06, 05:38 PM
You can always find coupons for Dell computers that will say you a lot of money. Just type in dell coupons in any search engine and you will find loads of then. I found a 35% off coupon when I bought mine last year and save almost a grand.

a12ctic
09-18-06, 05:41 PM
except with dell you get horrible quality control, a bunch of ****ty programs youll have to uninstall, and a dated intel processor (probobly some netburst processor unless you spend 2000+). Go with the acer.

Blackcat
09-18-06, 05:55 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. Have you researched or bought a dell laptop lately?

a12ctic
09-18-06, 05:57 PM
no, i havnt, and i wouldnt care to either thank you.

DiscipleDOC
09-18-06, 05:57 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. Have you researched or bought a dell laptop lately?
I don't think he has. I've owned a dell laptop, and I was quite please with the service.

Blackcat
09-18-06, 06:03 PM
I agree that the bloatware they like to put on their computers sucks so the first thing I did was reformat it. I love my laptop and will probably never go back to a desktop. I have a lapdesk I picked up at Staples, and let me tell you there is nothing like surfing the web or playing a game while leaning back in my recliner.

Bearclaw
09-18-06, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions/ flame war guys. Haha. I'm gonna go see what kind of deal I can get with dell's.

Bearclaw
09-18-06, 06:29 PM
I found a coupon site and found a coupoin for an HP but I don't know where to enter it on the website when I check out...I doubt if this site or any other coupon site is even legit.....

I found Coupon mountain..anyone ever use it Before?

Bearclaw
09-19-06, 03:28 PM
BUMP.

I found two I really like and I they are both HP's. I like them because there a lot cheaper than a lot of other brands out there and you can get some pretty ncie specs on them too.

HP dv1000t series
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)
14.0" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x768)
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950 - Core
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)
80 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
HP Mobile Remote Control
$1,130.00

HP dv2000t series
Genuine Windows XP Media Center (Free Upgrade)
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.00 GHz)
14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
128MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7200
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB) (Free Upgrade)
120 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
$1,160.00

Those are two I have configured right now. I could go so muchy lower, into the 800's, but just taking a bunch of stuff, like getting the basic Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. What do you guys think? Obviously, for only 30 bucks more, the Core 2 system is better, btu I heard the battery life with Core 2's is horrible.

Also, HP Compaq are even cheaper but I have heard they break down A LOT.

Any thoghts? Thanks a lot guys.

a12ctic
09-19-06, 05:02 PM
for battery life, go with the first one, performance go for the second, with the c2d your probobly losing at least 1.5 hours though. Do you have any other options, id look for like a nice little 11-13in screen.

Bearclaw
09-19-06, 05:10 PM
for battery life, go with the first one, performance go for the second, with the c2d your probobly losing at least 1.5 hours though. Do you have any other options, id look for like a nice little 11-13in screen.
I wouldn't mind a small one either, but those there, are both 14 inch and I can deal with that.

My main objective is price. Acer has some amazing Turion X2 (like the one I said in the first post) with some ncie options for 800. Although, for the gig of ram, c2d, 120gb hard drive, and video card it comes with I wouldn't mind paying the 1200. I think that is a pretty good deal myself.

I just really like HP. My roomate has one and he just got a new imac so he might sell me the old one. It ha sa pentium M 1.6Ghz, 512 memory which I can always add another 512, and a 80 Gb hard drive. This would work well for me now and if the price is right I might just go for it. One question about it though is it got a virus a while back. If I reformat the hd will I be ok or will the motherboard or something be messed up possibly? If I reformat, where would I find the drivers for the stuff that is in the laptop, online? Would I be better off going with a new hard drive?

Overall, my options are the acer for 800, the 2 HP's, and the use done form a friend if it will be ok.

ENU291
09-19-06, 05:13 PM
Check out this SITE (http://www.dealsofamerica.com/dellcoupons.php) for some great Dell deals. If you are in the market for a new laptop I say buy something with an Intel Core Duo minimum (Core 2 Duo prefered). The AMD Turion processors are OK for the extremely budget conscience but I say spend a little more on something that will last for a while.

Bearclaw
09-19-06, 05:15 PM
Check out this SITE (http://www.dealsofamerica.com/dellcoupons.php) for some great Dell deals. If you are in the market for a new laptop I say buy something with an Intel Core Duo minimum (Core 2 Duo prefered). The AMD Turion processors are OK for the extremely budget conscience but I say spend a little more on something that will last for a while.
Right. I might go with the HP with the c2d (2Ghz) and the 2 gigz of ram i could get and I would be set for a while. Why not put more money into somethign so it will last me a long time.

I'll check out that site though.

Rytr
09-19-06, 05:43 PM
I have an HP with a Turion and a gig of ram. More than enough unless you want to game.

Q
09-19-06, 05:54 PM
Right. I might go with the HP with the c2d (2Ghz) and the 2 gigz of ram i could get and I would be set for a while. Why not put more money into somethign so it will last me a long time.

I'll check out that site though.

My GF got an HP DV8000...its a badass machine for just over $1200 (right around school starting...now its $1300 in most places).

17" Screen.
BIG keyboard with SEPERATE number pad (worth the price alone)
Core Duo T2050
1 Gig DDR2 533MHZ
Geforce 7600!!!
2 80Gig SATA HD's
DVD DL...
So on...so forth...

I play Oblivion on it at ~12x10 on High settings. Enough said.

Bearclaw
09-19-06, 06:08 PM
I have an HP with a Turion and a gig of ram. More than enough unless you want to game.
Which model do you have?

Bearclaw
09-19-06, 06:09 PM
My GF got an HP DV8000...its a badass machine for just over $1200 (right around school starting...now its $1300 in most places).

17" Screen.
BIG keyboard with SEPERATE number pad (worth the price alone)
Core Duo T2050
1 Gig DDR2 533MHZ
Geforce 7600!!!
2 80Gig SATA HD's
DVD DL...
So on...so forth...

I play oOblivion on it at ~12x10 on High settings. Enough said.
Ya, I saw those two. I really like the look and style of the dv1000t. My roomate has that one and If i dont get his I mgiht get a new dv100t model.