PDA

View Full Version : help with core2duo...windows only sees one processor

FearMeAll
09-18-06, 04:25 PM
just built my parents core2duo rig and put in their old harddrive. Windows amazingly booted up despite it's old configurarion but unfortunately it will only recognize one of the cores. I was wondering why performance was so dissapointing.
I went into device manager and say that the computer is ACPI instead of multiprocessot config like my laptop and desktop say. Windows acts like it does not want to install dual core drivers it won't let any show up to be selected. How can I make it work?

jAkUp
09-18-06, 04:56 PM
Yea, its probably because of the old installation of Windows.

Try a repair install.

a12ctic
09-18-06, 04:58 PM
maby the paste on those intel dual cores came loose :p

FearMeAll
09-18-06, 05:04 PM
maby the paste on those intel dual cores came loose :p
lol!! he he. Well it was the cheapest core2duo I could get. My parents only surf the web and my lil bro will be using it too. I put a 7800gtx512 in it. That ought to be enough horsepower for reader rabbit.

FearMeAll
09-18-06, 05:05 PM
Yea, its probably because of the old installation of Windows.

Try a repair install.
that's what I'm doing now. It seems to be the only way. hope it works.
-edit- Hey it worked! I love windows xp repair. They are now on 2 cores. good.

FearMeAll
09-18-06, 08:16 PM
oh my....this thing is only 1.86ghz and it is tied in performance with my very expensive at the time 4800+...holy cow. I ran Sandra and I wasn't expecting numbers like that from the lowest end conroe. $185 gives you pretty much the performance of a 4800..wow technology sure does move fast and I like it.
I just got back from my parents house giving that pc to them and they are floored by the improvement. They were running an athlon xp 1800 in a case full of dust.

nekrosoft13
09-18-06, 08:34 PM
your HAL is set wrong (hardware abstract layer)

ACPI is set to uniprocessor PC, for dual core should be set to Multiprocessor PC

you can try to update the driver, but i would say 95+% will result in BSOD.

only safe way to fix it, is complete reinstall

Tikiman44
09-18-06, 09:20 PM

ACPI is set to uniprocessor PC, for dual core should be set to Multiprocessor PC

Agreed complete wipe and install is the only way to assure the best performance.:D Hopefully they do not have tons of stuff on that drive they want...although there are certainly adapters you can buy to get everything off the harddrive using USB.:D

FearMeAll
09-18-06, 09:48 PM

repair install fixed it. I benchmarked sandra and everything is as it should be. Taks manager detects 2 processors.