PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 7600GS AGP Slowdown

cincybone
09-18-06, 09:18 PM
I recently purchased an evga geforce 7600GS AGP. It runs fine on less demanding games such as counter-strike: condition zero. But, when I run heavily rendered games such as Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory or Godfather - The Game, I slowly get polygon-like spikes coming out of every wall and object. I made sure I had the most recent drivers installed...I do (91.47). I'm doing no overclocking. Even though during game play the GPU temp. never rises above 60 degrees C, I thought it could be a cooling problem. So, I upgraded my case fan and installed a slot cooler underneath the graphics card. I also lowered the resolution to 1280x960 (I have a widescreen monitor), and lowered all settings to "medium" or lower. This helped a little, but still after about 5 minutes of gameplay, the "spikes" would begin to appear again, slowly getting worse until the game becomes unplayable. My AGP bus is only 4X, could this be the problem (I have a Gigabyte GA-8SR533P motherboard)? So, did I get a bad card, or is this just par for the course for these cards?

ATOJAR
09-19-06, 06:45 AM
Could you take a screenshot? that card is a x8 card and im guessing its 256MB also so a x8 motherdoard would do you the world of good, i cant imagin how running the card slower would cause visual defects!

Delbert
09-19-06, 08:10 AM
Check that PSU is stable.... notably the 12 volt rail. ( used to have something similar with my 6800GT, but since i put in a beefier PSU, never seen it ).

Krazykilla
09-19-06, 09:44 PM
This never sounds good. You can try reverting to the 80 series driver such as the 84.21 from www.nvidia.com. But these spike usually point to the video card having problems and an RMA or returning it to the retailer might be a needed course of action.

cincybone
09-21-06, 08:42 AM
I think it could be that my PSU is having problems. It's about 6 years old, and since I'm running two hard drives, two cd-rom drives, and now a slot cooler and this new power-craving video card, I think it may be too much for it. The voltages seem to fluctuate heavily, even when the computer is idling. The 12V rail seems fishy since it never falls below 13V and the 3.3V never rises above 3.1V....that can't be right. I should be getting a new, more powerful PSU today. We'll see if this fixes the problem.

cincybone
09-21-06, 01:25 PM
New PSU didn't help. But, I've contacted eVGA, and they said I probably got a bad card. I'm going to exchange it for another one. Hopefully this will be the end of my 'sufferings'. Thanks for all your suggestions. (nana2)