PDA

View Full Version : opteron pricing

nick800
02-17-03, 04:46 PM
does anyone know what the expected price range of the opterons are going to be?

Matthyahuw
02-17-03, 04:56 PM
$600 +

nick800
02-18-03, 04:23 PM
I assume thats at launch? so by the time that microsoft has a 64bit XP that supports X86-64 ( september? ) do you think the price will have decended much?

StealthHawk
02-18-03, 04:49 PM
Operon will be much more expensive than $600. it is the server version afterall.

Clawhammer will likely be around $600.

nick800
02-18-03, 05:12 PM
is this speculation or press released knowledge? I thought the idea was it was going to be competing with the xeon price range for both workstation and low-end servers?

StealthHawk
02-18-03, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by nick800
is this speculation or press released knowledge? I thought the idea was it was going to be competing with the xeon price range for both workstation and low-end servers?

Opteron is the server/workstation version of Hammer. Opteron is intended to compete against Xeon, that much is for certain.

Clawhammer is the consumer part now known as Athlon64. this is all public knowledge.

nick800
02-18-03, 06:30 PM
yes yes I know this, I meant that the price would be "much more expensive than 600", the most expensive xeons are barely 600.

The Baron
02-18-03, 08:05 PM
Xeons aren't the highest end servers.

Opterons aren't competing with Xeon, really... they're competing with Itanium.

I've got NO IDEA whatsoever what Itaniums cost... but it's probably a hell of a lot :p

Matthyahuw
02-18-03, 08:20 PM
yes, Opteron is going up against Itanium, and they're $2500+ EACH!

and ya, I got confused, Clawhammer will be about $650+ when launched, not Opteron...expect Opteron at about $900-1000 at launch

nick800
02-18-03, 08:37 PM
really ? I thought opterons were going after the low-end servers, and workstations. The new Itaniums cost somewhere around 5 grand.

StealthHawk
02-18-03, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by nick800
really ? I thought opterons were going after the low-end servers, and workstations. The new Itaniums cost somewhere around 5 grand.

people have said Opteron is NOT going up against Itanium, mainly because there's no way it can. Itanium is in a whole nother league from Xeon(and it is targetted at a different audience).

The Baron
02-18-03, 09:52 PM
Uh, a lot of benchmarks have Itaniums and Opterons neck-and-neck, so yes, they will be going up with Itaniums... assuming x86-64 WinXP ever gets released.

StealthHawk
02-18-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Uh, a lot of benchmarks have Itaniums and Opterons neck-and-neck, so yes, they will be going up with Itaniums... assuming x86-64 WinXP ever gets released.
i'm just repeating what Steppy said in this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6655

since i haven't kept up much with Itanium lately, he seems to know what he's talking about, so i believed him. i originally thought that Opteron was going against Itanium, but if it isn't, then whatever.

indeed, i was under the impression that Itanium was going to replace Xeon, but poor market acceptance has probably changed those goals.

edit: let's put this to rest once and for all.

Opteron is targetted at both Itanium and Xeon according to AMD themselves.The AMD Opteron processor is designed to provide flexibility, scalability and performance for demanding enterprise-class applications. It is planned to effectively compete against the Intel Xeon and Itanium processors.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~19746,00.html

SavagePaladin
02-19-03, 12:08 AM
I highly doubt $600 on a Clawhammer. They're meant to be consumer procs...
and that'd be insane

Matthyahuw
02-19-03, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
I highly doubt $600 on a Clawhammer. They're meant to be consumer procs...
and that'd be insane

ummm look at pricewatch how much a Barton 3000+ is now...

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/5040-1.htm

$600

nick800
02-19-03, 01:39 AM
thats also the fatest processor available for amd, you can keep the price high to get money from those consumers with burning holes in their pockets, aren't they going to launch both these processors with more than one speed ? if athlon MP's are being replaced by opterons and the opteron price speculation is correct. What is left for the workstation multiprocessor for AMD? Single processor makes a huge jump from the barton to the clawhammer. But the mutli would go from the "barton" mp, to nothing?

SavagePaladin
02-19-03, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
ummm look at pricewatch how much a Barton 3000+ is now...

Barton has more cache than Athlon 64. Barton comes in different speed grades, as will Athlon 64...

So '$600' could well be true, but probably not for all of them.

I of course make no claims about Athlon 64s cache at LAUNCH, since thats a long time from now (sigh) but every bit of info I've seen has said 256k