PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 7950 Startup delay question. PLEASE COMMENT

fearz
09-19-06, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if it is a problem that I got or is that a normal thing, but I just feel there is something wrong, Can someone please guide me here...

I suddenly noticed a delay exactly after the wnidows progress bar screen and before the welcome/logon screen appears, the screen just goes black for about 3-6 seconds then the computer starts normally, the games run fine (I think) .. I mean i don`t notice the games run slowly or anything, and then i uninstalled the 91.31 drivers and was runing with the default windows drivers and there was no delay, as soon as i install ANY nvidia drivers the delay comes back, does that means the card is damaged or its just a drivers problem?

Here is what I troubleshooted:

1.I uninstalled the official nvidia drivers, while using the normal default windows drivers, the delay is gone.

2.Once i re-install the nvidia drivers the lag between the windows progress screen and the welcome/logon screen just back out for abour 5-9 seconds then goes back to normal.

3.I tried another PCIe card on my motherboard, and it didnt delay it was a 5 Series card I think.

4.I changed the RAM modules to other ones, but still.

5.I re-fromatted from scracth .. no any driver was installed, and after i install the nvidia drivers, 91.47, 91.33 or 91.29 the same problem occurs.

6.I`ve removed each driver one by one , and the problem is the same, until i uninstalled the nvidia drivers,.

7.i`ve reset CMOS and loaded optimized defaults.

8.I have the latest nvidia chipset + bios drivers up to date.

I am really worry and depressed that the card mihgt have issues..Even the game which come with the CARD (Tomb Raider:Legend)..The sound is like itching all the time, even after installing its updates, there is an itchy sound all the time, and it cuts out from time to time, i tried using different settings but i think the card is powerfull enouugh to handle it,

9. the card runs well on other games, f.e.a.r. nfs:most wanted, all the other games, its almost perfect... the problem is only with the delay for about 5-9 seconds on boot and i feel a little bit of delay while working on the pc which made me upgraded my RAM to 2 GB, its so weird, am i tripping my self Is that so normal, and this is how it is supposed to be or is it a card/motherbard issue?

The only thing that i didnt try is to try the vga card on another PC, but unfortunately, nobody has a powerfull pc to handle that card. so can you please give me a solution, thanks...

My PC Specs:
WinXP Pro
MSI P4N Diamond Mobo
3.2 Intel HT
2 Gigs RAM
240 Gigs H.D.
7950 vga card

Twigbutt
09-19-06, 03:57 PM
I have this problem too, but I just never figured that it might be the video card. Does anyone else with a 7950 have this happening? I kinda just learned to live with it since nothing else seemed messed up. :p

Krazykilla
09-19-06, 10:40 PM
Fellas,
At this point I have also noticed it on the 7950. Seems to be universal and does not affect performance (once you fully booted your system). I would think that this delay is actually once the driver kicks in and both cards are activated and put into snyc.

crainger
09-19-06, 10:51 PM
I have this problem with my 7900GTs in SLi.

I guessed it was the cards syncing too. It doesn't seem to affect things too much so I just ignore it.

jabloomf1230
09-20-06, 04:50 PM
I suddenly noticed a delay exactly after the Windows progress bar screen and before the welcome/logon screen appears, the screen just goes black for about 3-6 seconds then the computer starts normally, the games run fine (I think)

I posted a response to the same question on Guru3D, but they appear to be having server problems, so here goes again. A 3-6 second delay between the Windows logo screen and the desktop appearing is common with both the 7950 GX2 and dual cards being run in SLI. It has something to do the fact that when you boot the machine, only one GPU is running in VGA text mode and then in graphics mode. The blank screen occurs when the Windows driver loads and starts the 2nd GPU. Some setups have this delay and some don't. Also, if you switch to multi-monitor mode, you often see the delay disappear.

Now, if your delay is greater than 5-7 seconds, then you probably have something else borked during boot up. Use the Windows Control panel, Computer Admin and check the Event Viewer. Under the System and Application logs, you should not see a lot of Error notices in a row at a time that corresponds to right after boot up. Often these Error listings correspond to non-fatal hard disk errors and/or missing or bad drivers. Windows often generates multiple disk errors in a row (10 or 20), so the delay could be 20 seconds or even longer. These types of delays have nothing to do with SLI. By troubleshooting each error, you can usually eliminate the long delay.

DataMatrix
09-20-06, 07:13 PM
Probably the drivers synchronising the cards so that it displays correctly. You wouldn't want a half corrupted/displayed screen would you? :p

sranissen
10-31-06, 04:20 AM
Thank you very much for the answer. I thought I really had a prob and was about to RMA.

OWA
10-31-06, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I get that too. Normally it's not a problem but if I run a chkdsk, I don't get to see the results (screen stays blank the whole time) until it's done and I finally log in to windows and check the event log. That's pretty annoying and that sort of thing didn't use to happen with SLI. I think it started when the drivers added the new control panel.

Russel Nurjew
11-20-06, 03:03 AM
I want to buy a new graphic-card next few days...Would you recommend me to buy a Geforce 7950GT? Did that card cause any problems? Does Xgl/Compiz run well on this card? Should I better buy the 7900GT card?

crainger
11-20-06, 03:30 AM
I want to buy a new graphic-card next few days...Would you recommend me to buy a Geforce 7950GT? Did that card cause any problems? Does Xgl/Compiz run well on this card? Should I better buy the 7900GT card?

Any chance you can extend to an 8 series. In AU the GTS is around the same price as a 7950GT. If not the 7900GTO would be a better buy.

K007
11-20-06, 08:20 AM
I cant tell if i ran into this issue..but one thing i can tell is..i have 2 monitors in my device manager....wtf -.-?

nekrosoft13
11-20-06, 08:25 AM
I cant tell if i ran into this issue..but one thing i can tell is..i have 2 monitors in my device manager....wtf -.-?

i had the same thing while i had 7950gx2, thats normal for that card.

temporarily i have 7600GT KO, while my 7950GX2 is on the way to EVGA, to finally get stepped up (nana2)

breakthrough
12-03-06, 05:42 AM
I have 6600GT in SLI mode & media center 2005 OS i have same issue of blank scrren after boot screen.
I tried safe mode, while loding drivers there is a system file called mup.sys,it takes lot of time to load, that might be the reason to for blank screen .

jabloomf1230
12-03-06, 07:26 PM
I have 6600GT in SLI mode & media center 2005 OS i have same issue of blank scrren after boot screen.
I tried safe mode, while loding drivers there is a system file called mup.sys,it takes lot of time to load, that might be the reason to for blank screen .

This prolly has nothing to do with your 7950 GX2. What is hanging the boot process is whatever is happening after mup.sys is loaded. Try methodically removing hardware resources until the system boots normally. I would start with USB devices, since they are the easiest to remove. Unfortunately, after that, you would get to your sound card, network card and hard disks, so the process could be painful. Windows has various options for "Safe Mode" (like VGA only or with network support) so you can try those boot options also. Further, see my post that's higher up in this thread about checking the Windows log files for errors.