PDA

View Full Version : How much do we know about Wii's online service?

FluxCap
09-19-06, 01:43 PM
What has been shared by Nintendo regarding the online play? Not much? Just that it is free?

I think all online services for consoles should strive to be as good or better than the 360's excellent service.

The reason I ask is because that will probably be the final piece to determine if I will buy at Wii. Any information is greatly appreciated.

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 01:49 PM
Wont be available to 3rd parties till next year...

FluxCap
09-19-06, 01:56 PM
Doh, that doesn't sound good. :thumbdwn:

Edge
09-19-06, 10:51 PM
Basically as far as we know, there are no online games at launch (first party or otherwise, not sure if that's changed by now or not), and they're still in the process of coming up for an online system for the console. Don't expect to see online games for it until 2007, and right now nothing is really known about it except that it uses friends codes.

Zelda_fan
09-19-06, 11:36 PM
I'm pretty sure their are some first party games that will have WiFi for the holiday season in 2006. It would make a lot of sense for Wii sports to have wifi. The actual network is already in place (it will use the same infrastructure as the DS online service).

It won't be super advanced like XBOX Live is, and you probably wont' be able to download demos or movie trailers, BUT what you will get is a 100% free, no bs, no hassle way of playing your Wii games over the internet.

Zelda_fan
09-19-06, 11:39 PM
oh and it also looks like they have a lot of online channels so you can check the weather and news via the Wii.

Mr. Hunt
09-19-06, 11:56 PM
oh and it also looks like they have a lot of online channels so you can check the weather and news via the Wii.

Not trying to start a war here... but aren't you the same person that complained about the PSPs other functions like MP3 and video playing? But of course now that Nintendo has weather and news it is all ok...?

Zelda_fan
09-20-06, 12:37 AM
Not trying to start a war here... but aren't you the same person that complained about the PSPs other functions like MP3 and video playing? But of course now that Nintendo has weather and news it is all ok...?

Wii has things that I find useful. PSP dosen't. That is just personal preference.

Something to tell me the weather in my exact location with the click of a remote would be really useful to me. A web browser without having to wait a minute until my computer boots up would also be useful to me, and an online news channel would be as well.

Mr. Hunt
09-20-06, 12:41 AM
Ok... but the funny part is you complained that the added funcionality of PSP is useless because you have other things to do that with... like your 1337 ipod... there you just admitted you have other things that can do that stuff, but now it is on a Nintendo system and so it is the most useful thing ever. But having video, games, internet, and music rolled into one nice package is just STUPID! But finding the weather in your area is UB3R! Guess you don't have TV?

Zelda_fan
09-20-06, 01:05 AM
Ok... but the funny part is you complained that the added funcionality of PSP is useless because you have other things to do that with... like your 1337 ipod... there you just admitted you have other things that can do that stuff, but now it is on a Nintendo system and so it is the most useful thing ever. But having video, games, internet, and music rolled into one nice package is just STUPID! But finding the weather in your area is UB3R! Guess you don't have TV?

Yes I do have the weather channel. But I have to wait 5 minutes for it to scroll to my area and even then it's not an exact weather forcast of my zip code. The Wii would fix that.

Internet is useful on the Wii but not of the PSP becasue you have a nice little clicky pointer that acts like a mouse.

The PSP simply doesn't fit my needs as an MP3 player, and neither would the Wii if it had that capability.

|MaguS|
09-20-06, 08:03 AM
Yes I do have the weather channel. But I have to wait 5 minutes for it to scroll to my area and even then it's not an exact weather forcast of my zip code. The Wii would fix that.

Internet is useful on the Wii but not of the PSP becasue you have a nice little clicky pointer that acts like a mouse.

Why not use the internet to get your exact weather location, alot easier to look up the information on a PC then a console, especially on low def. As for the PSPs browser... it has an anolog stick which acts as a mouse just fine.

Mr. Hunt
09-20-06, 08:05 AM
Why not use the internet to get your exact weather location, alot easier to look up the information on a PC then a console, especially on low def. As for the PSPs browser... it has an anolog stick which acts as a mouse just fine.

But why would you want the internet, music, videos and games on one portable system? Don't be STUPID! But looking up the weather on my console >>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other funcionality... even playing games!

FluxCap
09-20-06, 08:40 AM
My main interest is that the Wii provides a platform for me and my friends to meet quickly online (ie online friends indicator) and play. We will be buying a majority of our games based on online abilities....maybe that won't be a smart choice at first from the sounds of it.

I may be selling my 360 and games to pay for the Wii for me and a DS Lite for the wife. One of the biggest drawbacks to the 360 for me and a couple of friends is how much the wireless kit costs ($100) and the Wii has it built in. None of us want to run cables or pay that much to have internet access in our desired rooms.

ENU291
09-20-06, 08:44 AM
My main interest is that the Wii provides a platform for me and my friends to meet quickly online (ie online friends indicator) and play. We will be buying a majority of our games based on online abilities....maybe that won't be a smart choice at first from the sounds of it.
Xbox Live has given you the ability to do exactly what you've stated for over 5 years now.

FluxCap
09-20-06, 08:47 AM
Xbox Live has given you the ability to do exactly what you've stated for over 5 years now.
Oh, I agree but my friends who play online don't have 360s and we are looking to all get the same console at the same time. We are big PC gamers as well who all just quit WoW. (nana2)

Edit: Also please see my above comment about the wireless kit.

ENU291
09-20-06, 08:54 AM
I definitely agree with you about the price of the wifi adapter. $100 is simply rediculous. MS needs to reduce that price at least by half or just bundle it in with the Premium 360 package. The only thing that I like about the wifi network adapter not being integrated internally with the 360 is that once faster wifi protocols like 802.11n are finalized the 360 will be able to take advantage of it.