PDA

View Full Version : SLI Setup

$kyh@wk
09-19-06, 01:36 PM
I have a EVGA 6800GS for a while and decided go SLI. Today I purchased another card exactly the same and a Xion 600w power supply to go along with them.

I fired it up. everything working SLI, had the balance load bar running and fired up a few games coming to relize I wasted my money. I dont notice a difference. Before I was getting 80-90 FPS and with SLI its exactly the same.

My Computer:

AMD 64 3200
4 Gigs DDR400 Kingston
WD Sata Drive
Asus K8N Deluexe SLI
PS Xion 600w ( Glows blue:)

Are my settings wrong? My drivers and setup pick up SLI. The Load balancer is working but I do not notice a slight difference SLI or single Video card..

Can someone help me please..

Thank you.

SH64
09-19-06, 08:34 PM
80-90fps with single ?? so you should go for higher-res/AA/AF to see some advantage ..
what games did you try ? try different ones ..

crainger
09-19-06, 08:43 PM
Heh, when I first went SLi I thought the same after firing up Nalu and a few other 3D demos... Then I tried Oblivion. The save put me indoors first up and I thought, no change here, then I went outside I the difference was amazing. outdoors was as smooth as indoors. So I thought I'll fix it and turned up all the details including self shadows and shadow filtering and it was still as smooth as silk.

Next was FEAR, it was smooth on a single card at 1280x1024 and 2AA. I had texture detail and dynamic lights at medium. Now I can play with 4AA and all details high, I still have soft shadows off though.

So it really depends on the game AND it's SLi profile. The Sims 2's default profile is single. So I forced it to 16x SLi AA. :) Not a jaggy insight.

Krazykilla
09-19-06, 09:19 PM
It is a common misconception that by adding another video card in SLI you will double your FPS. This is not the case. The advantage of going SLI is not quantity but quality. When going SLI you are able to intensify your image. SLI allows you to enable and crank up features like Anisotropic filtering, HDR lighting and Higher Resolutions which makes a real difference in the newer more graphically intense games.

jAkUp
09-19-06, 09:23 PM
Yup. Remember, you are not going to see any increases if the GPU was not the bottleneck in the first place. Try increasing the resolution and AA/AF.

$kyh@wk
09-20-06, 09:36 AM
It is a common misconception that by adding another video card in SLI you will double your FPS. This is not the case. The advantage of going SLI is not quantity but quality. When going SLI you are able to intensify your image. SLI allows you to enable and crank up features like Anisotropic filtering, HDR lighting and Higher Resolutions which makes a real difference in the newer more graphically intense games.

I totally agree. I never expected that. I thought it would go up and perhaps break 100. Even if it does not increase the FPS I still dont notice a difference. Im running BF2 Flat out in res of 1024x786 and higher res's. Its all the same to me. Someone told me that over time you will notice a difference but not right away. But well see. Thanks for the info.

nekrosoft13
09-20-06, 10:10 AM
oh my god!! you play at 1024x786?? with SLI SETUP!! thats insane

get a better monitor, and let that res fly.

i used to play games at 1024x786 with my voodoo2. times change, so to resolutions.

you will never see improvement at that resolution, because CPU simply can't keep up with video cards.

when resolution goes up, CPU can relax, and let the video cards do more work

$kyh@wk
09-20-06, 11:28 AM
oh my god!! you play at 1024x786?? with SLI SETUP!! thats insane

get a better monitor, and let that res fly.

i used to play games at 1024x786 with my voodoo2. times change, so to resolutions.

you will never see improvement at that resolution, because CPU simply can't keep up with video cards.

when resolution goes up, CPU can relax, and let the video cards do more work

Yes that is what I did wrong> I boosted to the max of my monitor could go. 1600x what ever it is.. my FPS went up and it looked sweet as hell... I am an SLI noob.. what do you expect from me lol:) but ya. I can now see the difference!