Daydre@m
09-19-06, 07:00 PM
They look nice...

Btw is it just me or the textures look blurry / low rez :o

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 08:19 PM
They look nice...

X360 version? The game is using the UE3.0 so it should look amazing on high settings...

SH64
09-19-06, 08:50 PM
Its not just you .. the textures are low-res.
the blood effect looks good though!

RAY16
09-19-06, 09:33 PM
X360 version? The game is using the UE3.0 so it should look amazing on high settings...

It uses an upgraded version of the modified UE2 they used for Tribes: Vengeance.

Edge
09-19-06, 09:55 PM
Doesn't look like they're from the Xbox 360 version, since the screenshots aren't in any standard HD resolution. But yeah, the textures do look a little fuzzy in those screenshots. Still looks decent enough overall though, the shadowing and lighting in some of the screenshots looks really nice.

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 09:57 PM
It uses an upgraded version of the modified UE2 they used for Tribes: Vengeance.

Actually no, They are using UE3.0 now. They actually never used anything but the UE3.

Read the new Computer Gaming World, theres a small snip that says so and that they don't know where people got the idea that they weren't using the UE3.

Edge, there are MANY shots released from X360 titles that weren't at standard resolution.

JigenD
09-19-06, 10:20 PM
I heard these were actually the PS3 version, http://spong.com/article/10803/BioShock+comes+to+PS3:+First+Screens/?d=200609191550&cb=890

The PS3 has a hard limit of 256MB for video/textures (256 for main), while 360 has a unified 512...

Of course now we see a lot of PC games coming that can utilize 512.

Anyways, I agree, some of those textures are very low res.

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 10:31 PM
I heard these were actually the PS3 version, http://spong.com/article/10803/BioShock+comes+to+PS3:+First+Screens/?d=200609191550&cb=890

The PS3 has a hard limit of 256MB for video/textures (256 for main), while 360 has a unified 512...

Of course now we see a lot of PC games coming that can utilize 512.

Anyways, I agree, some of those textures are very low res.

There is no such thing as a PS3 version. The game is only in development for the X360 and PC, as far the developers have said.

JigenD
09-19-06, 10:34 PM
There is no such thing as a PS3 version. The game is only in development for the X360 and PC, as far the developers have said.

Did you click the link I posted?

I've know it was coming for some time too, it's been in quite a few game mags.

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 10:38 PM
Did you click the link I posted?

I've know it was coming for some time too, it's been in quite a few game mags.

Well untill other sites post this news of it coming to PS3, its nothing but a rumor...

Oh and PS3 can do High Resolution textures easily, we have seen it done already with the UE3 on the console.

JigenD
09-19-06, 10:44 PM
Well untill other sites post this news of it coming to PS3, its nothing but a rumor...

Oh and PS3 can do High Resolution textures easily, we have seen it done already with the UE3 on the console.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you, I was in a serious car accident today.

We haven't seen actual real time UE3 on PS3 yet, the E3 videos were of course real time on very high spec PCs, not PS3s (especially since the hardware has only recently been finalized).

Other sites posted it, but it might be a slipup... Although I've heard a lot of media talking about it for a while like it was a 'sure thing' some official PS3 magazine even ran an article on it (a UK mag? I forget).

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 10:51 PM
We haven't seen actual real time UE3 on PS3 yet, the E3 videos were of course real time on very high spec PCs, not PS3s (especially since the hardware has only recently been finalized).

All the shots from UE3 for the PS3 were from the devkits (when they originally showed it of Sweeny controlled the demo with a PS2 controller), Epic were one of the first developers to recieve the early versions of the devkits. PSM even had exclusive shots including onhands time on the devkit with the game.

Let us not forget Heaveny Sword which looks better then well most games... oh and resistance aswell... neither which are UE3 based.

JigenD
09-19-06, 10:56 PM
All the shots from UE3 for the PS3 were from the devkits (when they originally showed it of Sweeny controlled the demo with a PS2 controller), Epic were one of the first developers to recieve the early versions of the devkits. PSM even had exclusive shots including onhands time on the devkit with the game.

Let us not forget Heaveny Sword which looks better then well most games... oh and resistance aswell... neither which are UE3 based.

Well, it doesn't matter, the PS3 is weaker than 360 with textures, but only in RAM limitations. It's not a big number, but it would make sense that some textures would be turned down to fit in a smaller amount of RAM.

Just for the sake of clarity :

PS3 = 256 (main) + 256 (video)
Xbox360 = 512 total (shared between main and video)
PC = 512 video in many newer cards.

|MaguS|
09-19-06, 11:00 PM
Well, it doesn't matter, the PS3 is weaker than 360 with textures, but only in RAM limitations. It's not a big number, but it would make sense that some textures would be turned down to fit in a smaller amount of RAM.

Don't forget to add sound into the equation when factoring the X360's ram.Oh and the Main ram for the PS3 can be accessed by the GPU if needed so the X360 are on equal grounds actually since they both can access 512MB of ram.

Marvel_us
09-19-06, 11:06 PM
Don't forget to add sound into the equation when factoring the X360's ram.Oh and the Main ram for the PS3 can be accessed by the GPU if needed so the X360 are on equal grounds actually since they both can access 512MB of ram.

Seconded, I don't know how many damn times we've had this argument on the forums.

PS3 essentially has 512mb to memory since RSX can access XDR.

I don't see why some still don't understand this.

oldsk00l
09-19-06, 11:21 PM

Yes, Sony's NUMA is allowed by RSX to write to system RAM. It's easier to accomplish on the 360 and I suspect performance differences when that boundary is crossed, but we'll have to see. From all indications PS3 can do it just fine..

Also Magus makes a great point about sound. With increasing dependancy on surround sound you're going to have more sound data and processing required.

ANYHOW

yes, definitely the DoF effects look very cool. I've seen it somewhat used but not too often, it'd be nice to see it some more.

Mr. Hunt
09-19-06, 11:25 PM
Ok... it is more or less a sequel to System Shock and it has a revolver... it owns everything.

CaptNKILL
09-20-06, 12:22 AM
The game looks pretty cool, but very muddy. There isnt really anything sharp in the shots except for the blood effect.

Hopefully thats just an effect of the DoF and HDR.

RAY16
09-20-06, 12:33 AM
Actually no, They are using UE3.0 now. They actually never used anything but the UE3.

Read the new Computer Gaming World, theres a small snip that says so and that they don't know where people got the idea that they weren't using the UE3.

Edge, there are MANY shots released from X360 titles that weren't at standard resolution.

My mistake, then. I just remembered reading somewhere that it used an upgraded T:V engine.

anticitizenzero
09-20-06, 12:38 AM
I read in multiple interviews that its UE2, heavily modified, supposed to have the best water physics yet in a game.

jAkUp
09-20-06, 12:40 AM
I read in multiple interviews that its UE2, heavily modified, supposed to have the best water physics yet in a game.

Yea I have read that in a few places too...

crainger
09-20-06, 12:50 AM
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Unreal_Engine_Versions

says it uses 2.5? Can we trust a wiki though?

Becoming
09-20-06, 02:58 AM
http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/

From a preview on ActionTrip from GDC:

But first, a bit of info on the engine. While I was pretty certain that BioShock is running on the Unreal 3 Engine, it turns out that isn't exactly the case. The representative of Irrational Games Australia pointed out that they are using the Vengeance engine (I'm assuming this is a reference to Tribes: Vengeance) for their game, a piece of code Irrational has been working on for the past three years - a combination of Unreal 2 code and I guess Unreal 3 code as well. Bottom line is it looks like Irrational has spent quite a bit of time making the BioShock 3D code pretty much proprietary. This becomes more than evident when you see the water effects, which are essential for this game and its gameplay.

Oh, and by the way IGN is promising some hawt video of it today (the 20th).

http://pc.ign.com/articles/733/733635p1.html

russ_3d
09-20-06, 06:39 AM
Oh, and by the way IGN is promising some hawt video of it today (the 20th).

i still havent seen the water effects - really looking forward to this video. even tho i dont have an ign account, i gotta watch this somehow