PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 7950GX2, 91.47 drivers, and games

Labyrinth
09-20-06, 01:59 PM
Not sure what the cause of this problem is so thats why I didn't know where to place this post, but here we go.

Whenever I launch, DOD:Source or CS:S I go into graphic options and set it all on max (because I can), save and click OK, quit the game go back into and check graphic settings and they have all been reset again. Why is this happening? Has anybody else seen this? I have tried different sets of drivers and can't figure it out. Is this a driver issue? Source issue? or 7950GX2 issue? Direct X? Please help!!

stevemedes
09-20-06, 02:25 PM
Not sure what the cause of this problem is so thats why I didn't know where to place this post, but here we go.

Whenever I launch, DOD:Source or CS:S I go into graphic options and set it all on max (because I can), save and click OK, quit the game go back into and check graphic settings and they have all been reset again. Why is this happening? Has anybody else seen this? I have tried different sets of drivers and can't figure it out. Is this a driver issue? Source issue? or 7950GX2 issue? Direct X? Please help!!

Had this problem with my 6800, and now with my 7900GS, must be a driver issue.

Hell your lucky you can even run the game. Won't let me run in DX9 mode with AA, AF or HDR =(. Just freezes at loading for about 3 full minutes then when it finally gets into the game, it stutters unplayably =(.

Labyrinth
09-20-06, 04:36 PM
stevemedes:

It may be your powersupply. 350W seems quite a bit low for your overclocking setup in your sig. I would say minimum of a 450W for your setup. Also check your amps on the 12V rail, make sure you have at least 36A.

Good luck.

stevemedes
09-21-06, 03:25 PM
Thanks Labyrinth, I thought the same thing.
Minimum amps for the 12v for my video card says 20amps
My current PSU pushed 26 on the 12v
You really think I need that much?
In another week when I can get the money I'll probably spring for the Antec TPII 550 SLI PSU

stevemedes
09-21-06, 03:28 PM
the PSU could possibly explain my computer hard resetting when im playing Max Payne 2

Labyrinth
09-21-06, 05:43 PM
Do you have another PSU handy you could swap or borrow for just to test? If not, then I'd go for the 550W one.

By the way, I figured out how to fix my problem with graphic settings always resetting! It had to do with a key value in the registry under the game settings. PM me if you want to know more!

DataMatrix
09-21-06, 06:03 PM
It's a problem with drivers/steam/source, if you look at your detected DirectX level it will show DirectX v0.0. I have the same problem.

Labyrinth
09-21-06, 11:52 PM
It's a problem with drivers/steam/source, if you look at your detected DirectX level it will show DirectX v0.0. I have the same problem.

I've figured out how to fix it if your interested..

fatal1ty
09-22-06, 12:29 AM

I'm sure we all would like to know - just in case...

stevemedes
09-22-06, 12:35 AM

PLEASE TELL THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE

DataMatrix
09-22-06, 12:14 PM
I've heard a way of forcing the DirectX detection by launching with the options -dxlevel 95 but the settings still went back to defaults.

shteve
09-22-06, 01:31 PM
I've had that happen after a new driver install, but only then (threw me when I played dod1.3 last weekend and it was at 800x600!). Usually steam'll remember what to do, but it does appear to be on a game by game basis. I've had it happen with an AMD3800x2 and on it's core2 e6600 replacement (7800GT SLI on the former and 7950GX2 on the latter). Same PSU though, Hiper 580Watt. Though if that were the issue I'd expect reboots or graphics slowdowns as the GPU throttled back, not gfx options switched off.

Simple question - is your config.cfg file read only? The resolution isn't held there, but the other stuff may be...

and shameless plug...

217.163.10.75:27015 [o]Kryptic Korps UK DOD:S (Voteable Custom Maps, Fast DL)

Labyrinth
09-23-06, 12:20 AM
I've heard a way of forcing the DirectX detection by launching with the options -dxlevel 95 but the settings still went back to defaults.

That's exactly what you do, but you do it in Windows Registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Source\[game]\settings

There's a registry key named "DXLevel_V1", mine was set to "0".
I entered "5f" and restarted games went to Options, and it stayed! I used 5f because the settings on my Lost Coast worked fine and thats what was listed in the Lost Coast setting of the registry. It was only CS:S and DOD:S that mine would reset. I'm curious to see what happens when other people try it...let me know!

DataMatrix
09-23-06, 03:39 AM
I've had that happen after a new driver install, but only then (threw me when I played dod1.3 last weekend and it was at 800x600!). Usually steam'll remember what to do, but it does appear to be on a game by game basis. I've had it happen with an AMD3800x2 and on it's core2 e6600 replacement (7800GT SLI on the former and 7950GX2 on the latter). Same PSU though, Hiper 580Watt. Though if that were the issue I'd expect reboots or graphics slowdowns as the GPU throttled back, not gfx options switched off.

Simple question - is your config.cfg file read only? The resolution isn't held there, but the other stuff may be...

and shameless plug...

217.163.10.75:27015 [o]Kryptic Korps UK DOD:S (Voteable Custom Maps, Fast DL)

Configurations are set in the registry.

Labyrinth
09-24-06, 12:11 AM
Configurations are set in the registry.

And did it work?

DataMatrix
09-25-06, 11:16 AM
It's hard to set them in the registry since they are set by numbers, but it is possible.