PDA

View Full Version : Fast Writes and CS

XDanger
09-20-06, 06:59 PM
I turned on FW today after having it off for years .The Counter Strike stress test went from 56.57fps to 90.36fps. Is this just because of the way the demo is loaded or something and has nothing to to with real gaming speed? Or was I sold a lie about fast writes allways being pointless.

Labyrinth
09-20-06, 11:24 PM
Umm..pretty much the second option. Whoever told you that FW doesn't make a difference needs some help too.

You were lied to..sorry.

Renzo
09-21-06, 12:49 AM
Back in the day I actually tested the difference between FW/SBA enabled and disabled. I had either GF2Ultra or GF3ti installed but I don't remember what MB I had or what was the speed of my cpu (it was athlon in any case).

I ran some tests (unreal engine based games, aquamark) that record max/avg/min fps and compared them. FW/SBA made minfps considerably better, however avg fps was almost the same (not worse at least) and maxfps wasn't any better either. It is too bad I don't have the results anymore but I guess they wouldn't apply too much these days. SBA/FW was only useful when cpus were rather weak and their memory buses were slow. In these situations direct memory write from agp could help in certain cases.

Btw I've never seen FW/SBA doing anything good with an @i card. They only have made things run worse or even corrupted graphics or hang the computer.

XDanger
09-21-06, 09:22 AM
My agp apperature is set to 1gb ,does that have anything to do with fw

Renzo
09-21-06, 12:10 PM
No. AGP aperture is the size of memory that can be assigned for texture storage gfx card can use directly. It should be set at 64MB (default) or perhaps 128MB to get the best compatibility/performance. Performance difference should be somewhere near non-existent.

XDanger
09-22-06, 01:41 PM
Im Gonna run CS with 128/1gb and see what it says, I'll Be Back!

Yes ,The results are identical, Why do they bother? That was rhetorical.

j0j081
09-24-06, 10:16 AM
Im Gonna run CS with 128/1gb and see what it says, I'll Be Back!

Yes ,The results are identical, Why do they bother? That was rhetorical.
I don't think that's the kinda thing that would show up in a the video stress test because it's not loading that many textures anyway compared to a whole map in certain games like BF2.