PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem is driving me maaaaad

Parts
09-21-06, 06:02 AM
Okay, so I just did what I usually do and installed the 92.91 drivers over top of the ones I was running (forgot which) and restarted my computer, but the nview control panel takes like 10 minutes to open, then when I goto change the res and refresh rate the control panel crashes, so I change it through the regular display properties, and restart my computer and it reset my resolution to like, the default super low res.

so I uninstalled those drivers, ran a driver cleaner on it and got rid of all that, installed the latest WHQL drivers 91.48... same problem... ive tried cleaning those out and reinstalling them too, same problem.

the panel takes like 5-10 minutes to load, then crashes when I try to click on anything in it, its driving me freaking insane that I cant fix it (because up till now ive fixed every problem ive ever had with all my computers).

I really want to avoid reformatting anything because I dont think it should be neccessary to have to do that for a video driver.

I have a BFG 6800gtoc, asus p4c800e deluxe mobo with updated everything, latest dx, p4 3.0, 1gb corsair xms memory.

any solutions or ideas would be helpful, thanks.

EDIT: if you have any questions or need clarification on anything just ask.

rewt
09-21-06, 06:32 AM
Maybe try and reinstall your chipset drivers first? Then reinstall NVIDIA drivers?

Have you tried switching over to classic control panel?

Your problem doesn't really sound like an NVIDIA driver issue to me though.. Especially since you already reinstalled them.

Parts
09-21-06, 05:31 PM
I'll try to reinstall the chipset drivers again, I just tried to clear out nvidia drivers in safe mode again and reinstall, same thing.

I cant set it to open as classic control panel because the panel crashes whenever I click on anything after it finally opens after like 10 minutes.

Gotta be the most angering thing ive ever had a problem with, I want to smash things, and its not even serious compared to other problems ive had/most people have, just annoying as all hell.

Parts
09-21-06, 05:51 PM
Updated chipset completely, reinstalled latest WHQL drivers from nvidia, same problem.

This is pissing me off so much its unbelievable. I want to murder something and im not even a violent person.

crainger
09-21-06, 06:57 PM
This is the part where you should breathe deeply. Try reinstalling Net 2.0, that might help with the control panel crashes and atleast let you back into the classic control panel.

If that fails it looks like you might have to reinstall XP. So backup whatever you need and start over.

grey_1
09-21-06, 08:41 PM
I had that exact problem but the fix was screwy. I extracted the drivers to a folder then used the hardware wizard to re-install them. I don't even remember who gave me the tip but it worked. Why? Haven't got a clue.

Barring that I guess a sys restore is out of the question?

rewt
09-22-06, 12:54 AM
I cant set it to open as classic control panel because the panel crashes whenever I click on anything after it finally opens after like 10 minutes.

My program NVTweak 2.0 has an option to switch desktop menu over to the classic CP if you wan't to try that. Link is in my sig.

crainger, I don't believe the NVIDIA control panel requires .NET 2.0, so that cannot be the problem.

crainger
09-22-06, 12:59 AM
crainger, I don't believe the NVIDIA control panel requires .NET 2.0, so that cannot be the problem.

Oh my bad. Must be confusing myself with the ATI CCC I have been messing with at work.

rewt
09-22-06, 01:05 AM
Yeah ATI is the one that require's .NET framework. ;)

I program in .NET languages myself. It is much easier than working with unmanaged code like C and C++. In other words, I can accomplish the same task in much less time. This is perhaps why ATI went the .NET route, saving $$$ in the long run.

.NET apps do generally run a little slower than C apps though, because they have to be compiled at runtime. But on the other hand, .NET apps are usually more secure.

Parts
09-22-06, 02:58 AM
Yeah I tried the framework thing anyway because I didnt know and it didnt work, still resets my res with I restart and stuff, i'll try your thingy tomorrow and see if it helps, the regular nvidia menu might not come up either, I dunno.