750 cars at around 40-80 cents each? ouch

thats an expensive game

Tr1cK
09-21-06, 02:52 PM
thats pure crap...thus ends my gran turismo era

sony has to recover ps3 losses somehow

russ_3d
09-21-06, 02:54 PM
soon you will have to spend thousands and thousands for a fully-modelled ferrari or somesuch when you could just go and buy the real thing

things are getting weirder and weirder by the day for consoles

oldsk00l
09-21-06, 03:01 PM
That is absurd. You buy the game because you can't afford the real car. Next up you have a guy who owns the car, and then spends around ten grand so he can have all the cars in a game. Whatever

They can charge for it, but it's going to cost them.

muaddib
09-21-06, 03:06 PM
That's an outrage. I already denounced this method when it started back in Oblivion....

ArturNOW
09-21-06, 03:09 PM
It has its advantages and disadvantages. Firsty I doubt that anyone drives every car in GT4 not to mention he masters it. But if game will cost 60$ and you won't get any car or track it weird :| I'll wait for oficial anouncement to judge.

mrrolf
09-21-06, 04:01 PM
It would be a good idea if the physical game costs $5. You might get a car and a track, it would be similar to a demo. Then if you wanted to really get into the game, you could buy everything piece by piece. If you sort of liked the game, you wouldn't have to invest a full $60 into it, maybe just 20 or 30.

This would only work if the full game ( all cars and tracks ) would be a total of $60. Reading the articles, it doens't sound like this is the case.

|MaguS|
09-21-06, 04:07 PM
The game will be cheap, the actual cost is unknown but it should be around the $20 amount since they are considering this the GT5 Prologue/Concept (not actually GT5, kinda like GT4 had a demo dic you could purchase).

As for the whole method... eh not a problem for me as long as the original purchase is cheap...and it has good online support.

But if they charge $50+ for the initial cost with a barebone game then thats ****ed up... I would never pay for **** like that.

siorai
09-21-06, 04:18 PM
The game will be cheap, the actual cost is unknown but it should be around the $20 amount since they are considering this the GT5 Prologue/Concept (not actually GT5, kinda like GT4 had a demo dic you could purchase).

As for the whole method... eh not a problem for me as long as the original purchase is cheap...and it has good online support.

But if they charge $50+ for the initial cost with a barebone game then thats ****ed up... I would never pay for **** like that.

It's still far too much. They should give the disc away fi there's only one car and one track on it. I think it's also just plain BS that they're doing this. I can understand charging for specialty vehicles and tracks. Or for addon cars and tracks after release. But basically making you pay for each aspect of the game? That's crap. One of the things about games like GT is the unlocking of new cars and tracks. They've killed that and are being greedy about it.

Sony knows for one, that they are going to take huge losses on the sale of each PS3. So, instead of making the production costs lower they're going to bend each and ever gamer over a barrel and pound away until they turn a profit. They know that people will fork over tons of cash for the cars and tracks.

I for one will not be one of those people. I was seriously thinking of getting a PS3 strictly because of GT. That is definitely no longer the case. Sony can go die in a very deep well for pulling this crap.

hordaktheman
09-21-06, 04:22 PM

But if they charge $50+ for the initial cost with a barebone game then thats ****ed up... I would never pay for **** like that.Wow. Just wow.

|MaguS|
09-21-06, 04:26 PM
We don't know if this is official yet.... its all "ifs" and "buts" and again, this isn't intended to be a full game, never was. Its a prologue, asically the same thing that happened prior to GT4s release. Sony released a demo of teh game for a cost, now they are releasing a premium copy with some cars and courses but you can expand on the demo.

AGAIN, this is not intended as being a full game. Its prerelease demo for GT5 that can be expanded, just like GT4 had with GT4 Prologue (and Concept). The original demos were $25 and only contained 2 cars and 2 tracks... this offers far more and the ability to expand it more.

If this does end up being a full game then its total BS... and even I can't agree with it but from what I read its not.

ENU291
09-21-06, 04:30 PM
Sony's master plan comes to fruition. The age of microtransaction is upon us boys!

Marvel_us
09-21-06, 04:32 PM
This game isn't even the real GT5. It's merely Sony's foot into the "online charging" door.

The whole thing is about choice.

ENU291
09-21-06, 04:37 PM
I thought the whole idea behind the GT series was to race hard to earn money so that you can upgrade your current ride or buy new ones. With this microtransaction premise what incentive do you have to race if you need to pay real money out of your own pocket to purchase new cars. First the idea of re-charging fees for used titles and now this. The master plan is unfolding!

|MaguS|
09-21-06, 04:43 PM
I thought the whole idea behind the GT series was to race hard to earn money so that you can upgrade your current ride or buy new ones.

Yes, that is the goal of the GT SERIES! Theres a Key world in there,SERIES. GT4 HD is not part of the series, its a hold over till GT5 is ready. They are taking parts of GT4 and GT5 and combing it to provide people a demo/trail game while they wait for the next game in the series. This was done with GT4 so I don't see how this is a big deal, the only difference is now with this release you can take the demo you purchased and get more out of it.

AGAIN, A DEMO FOR GT4 WAS RELEASED THE SAME WAY, IT WAS CALLED GT4 Concept/Prologue. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS NOW YOU CAN EXPAND ON THE DEMO AT A COST.

THIS IS NOT THE NEXT GAME IN THE GT SERIES!

ENU291
09-21-06, 04:52 PM
I don't remember Sony charging for the concept demo. Anyway this is all speculation anyway. It could end up like a demo with the ability to expand at a price like you mentioned or it could end up a full retail package with a limited amount of cars initially and the end user having to pony up extra cash to unlock additional cars. If the second scenario turns out to be true then a fully unlocked game is going to cost hundreds of dollars!! http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

Marvel_us
09-21-06, 05:01 PM
I don't remember Sony charging for the concept demo. Anyway this is all speculation anyway. It could end up like a demo with the ability to expand at a price like you mentioned or it could end up a full retail package with a limited amount of cars initially and the end user having to pony up extra cash to unlock additional cars. If the second scenario turns out to be true then a fully unlocked game is going to cost hundreds of dollars!! http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

Again it's about choice. In my own experiences, while playing games like GT I only ended choosing a certain amount of cars. You don't have to buy all 750 cars and 100+ tracks. If this game is put out at a cheap price it will probably cost some people less than buying the a regular 50-60 dollar game.

Whoever wants all of the cars and tracks will just wait for GT5. I don't see this as a big deal.

|MaguS|
09-21-06, 05:41 PM

Sony didn't charge for the Concept demo but they did charge for the Prologue demo, The Concept demo was only attainable through a car manufacturer.

Again, if this does end up being a full retail product then I cant even agree with it. It would be a ttoal **** up by Sony but from what I read they are constantly comparing it to the Concept and Prologue release of GT4.

t6_shadow
09-21-06, 05:43 PM
LOL corporate greed knows no bounds.

Next up BIGGER BETTER MOD PARTS FOR ONLY $29.99!!! Beat all your friends be the coolest kid in school!

Mr_LoL
09-22-06, 01:13 AM
This game isn't even the real GT5. It's merely Sony's foot into the "online charging" door.

The whole thing is about choice.
If it works well I can see them doing the same thing fot GT5. They can shove it. I'll cross this one off my list. They might as well have charged for the online service instead of trying to make money through backdoor methods.

LurkerLito
09-22-06, 10:09 AM
This type of release an incomplete game and buy the rest as you go crap has to stop. Even if they charge $5 for the initial game it is still unacceptable. GT was one of my favorite racing games, now I won't even consider purchasing it at any price on the PS3 :(.

ENU291
09-22-06, 10:33 AM
If you guys don't like the concept of pay-as-you-go then vote with your hard earned dollars. Stay the hell away from GT-HD when it's released. If the game is considered a failure Sony and company will think twice about trying this again!

BioHazZarD
09-22-06, 10:45 AM
Lol i think you dont have to convince anyone to stay away from this crap, who on earth wants to spend to much cash on concept game anyways..

Marvel_us
09-22-06, 10:50 AM
Lol i think you dont have to convince anyone to stay away from this crap, who on earth wants to spend to much cash on concept game anyways..

Yea, I for one will not even pick it up. First you start off with buying 5-10 cars and a couple tracks. Next thing you know it you're on purchase number 300+.

No thanks, bring on GT5....I'll skip this one.