PDA

View Full Version : MS Extends Xbox360 Warranty

Marvel_us
09-21-06, 06:31 PM
Launch X360's warranty extended to one year for Systems built before 1/1/06

Refunding repair costs to those who have had repairs for launch systems.

Allowing purchase of extended warranty until Nov 06 for launch systems and allowing Ext warranty on systems replaced under this promotion

http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=6916948

msxyz
09-21-06, 06:35 PM
It looks like an implicit admission that launch units were defective :o

Mine crapped in early february and it was manufactured in October '05. But here in Europe it isn't really a problem as consumer electronics must come with a two year warranty.

Marvel_us
09-21-06, 06:38 PM
It looks like an implicit admission that launch units were defective :o

Mine crapped in early february and it was manufactured in October '05. But here in Europe it isn't really a problem as consumer electronics must come with a two year warranty.

I forgot to add that part in my post. I remember hearing about that warranty thing in the UK. That's pretty cool.

Peoples-Agent
09-21-06, 07:13 PM
consumer electronics must come with a two year warranty.

Not in the UK , WTF! ....it's a law written 12 month here.

How many mugs get done on the 14 month washing machine blowout I wonder.

OWA
09-21-06, 07:36 PM
Does the warranty go with it if it's sold?

saturnotaku
09-21-06, 08:13 PM
Does the warranty go with it if it's sold?

My guess is this is the way it works:

If you bought a 2005 console in 2006 and can provide the recepit, the warranty is good from the date of purchase.

If you bought the console from someone else and can't provide any original proof of purchase, the warranty extends to the date the console was manufactured, which MS puts on all systems it builds. They probably have a database with all serial numbers and would match it to the one you provide if you needed support.

S.I.N
09-21-06, 08:21 PM
5% my ass. But atleast there doing something so people dont feel like they bought trash. Guess I should have bought one of those broken ones off of Ebay for $160. Could have had it repaired for free. Infact I am going to see if I can scoop one up before word spreads.(pirate)

S.I.N
09-21-06, 09:14 PM
A clear acknowledgment? Made before January 1, 2006? Send it on in.

Thursday, September 21, 2006
Microsoft Dismisses Repair Fees On Early Xbox 360s, Acknowledges Quality Problems

Dean Takahashi, 01:50 PM in Dean Takahashi, Gaming

Microsoft issued a statement today acknowledging that its early run of Xbox 360s made in 2005 were buggy and that it would rescind any repair fee on boxes that need service as long as they were manufactured before Jan. 1, 2006. The statement is in response to a raft of complaints from gamers such as Chris Szarek, whose story we told on this blog about how he went through four consoles in the repair process. Szarek said today that this validates concerns that he and others had about the quality of the launch consoles. Those who paid repair fees already will get refunds.

Here's Microsoft's statement:

As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of units coming in for repair. Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console. Returns for repair are coming in for a variety reasons and it's a higher rate than we are satisfied with. We've made the decision to comp repairs for consoles manufactured before January 1, 2006, and provide refunds to the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs.

Badboy_12345
09-22-06, 02:00 AM
meh... we in sweden get a 1 year warrenty in almost every store for free :p

kev13dd
09-22-06, 03:25 AM

If you bought a 2005 console in 2006 and can provide the recepit, the warranty is good from the date of purchase.

If you bought the console from someone else and can't provide any original proof of purchase, the warranty extends to the date the console was manufactured, which MS puts on all systems it builds. They probably have a database with all serial numbers and would match it to the one you provide if you needed support.
MS knows when each console was Manufactured. Sounds to me like all you do is send it in to MS if it breaks. No need for reciets or anything. If your console was made before 2006, then you can get it repairs, plain and simple. I don't think MS will even need to check S/N since the console (I know at least my normal Xbox) has the manufacture date on them

K

NAZCA M12
09-22-06, 06:09 AM
The Zen of repairing :p

PeterJensen
09-22-06, 06:25 AM
In denmark you have 2 years default...

saturnotaku
09-22-06, 06:25 AM
MS knows when each console was Manufactured. Sounds to me like all you do is send it in to MS if it breaks. No need for reciets or anything. If your console was made before 2006, then you can get it repairs, plain and simple. I don't think MS will even need to check S/N since the console (I know at least my normal Xbox) has the manufacture date on them

K

I was basing my comments on the original post, which said that warranties would be extended for a year. According to the supposed official statement from Microsoft, it implies that warranties on those systems are extended indefinitely. If that's the case, yes, you are correct.

Namrok
09-22-06, 06:45 AM
Nice! Mine was made in November 05 though I bought it in May 06. I got a Best Buy warranty, but Best Buy can be real dicks about those things. Good to know I've still covered in case anything goes wrong. And it might, I just got Dead Rising :p

msxyz
09-22-06, 07:27 AM
This way Microsoft can save its sorry ass from class action lawsuits, too.

This is probably the less expensive route, after all.

Tyr-Sog
09-22-06, 07:35 AM
They're also refunding the people that have actually sent their consoles in for repairs over the coarse of the year.

Hats off to MS for doing what's right.

msxyz
09-22-06, 08:14 AM
They're also refunding the people that have actually sent their consoles in for repairs over the coarse of the year.

Hats off to MS for doing what's right.This appens when a company is serious about winning the market over.

That's why competition is good for consumers. If Microsoft were in the same dominant position it has in the PC space (or Sony PS2 has in the console space) you would see more bold and arrogant moves, no doubt. I really hope the Xbox 360 comes on top this generation. Sony deserves nothing but a good beating to return to its roots. :p

saturnotaku
09-22-06, 09:00 AM
I really hope the Xbox 360 comes on top this generation. Sony deserves nothing but a good beating to return to its roots.

I'd like a balance among MS, Sony, and Nintendo, keeps them on their toes that way. ;)

Namrok
09-22-06, 09:15 AM
I'd like a balance among MS, Sony, and Nintendo, keeps them on their toes that way. ;)

Well, it depends on how you define who wins :p I mean if Sony goes from having a 70% market share to a 40% market share, then did they really "win"? If Microsoft and Nintendo pick up 15% going to 30% each, did they really "lose" by not coming out absolutely on top?

I think if Sony was merely "balanced" with the other companies, they would consider it a massive loss, and the others would consider in a massive win.

OWA
09-22-06, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

Marvel_us
09-24-06, 11:45 AM
Seems MS is willing to take heat for their mistake:

Yes, it is true. As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of units coming in for repair. Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3866&Itemid=2

As long as they've fixed the problem shouldn't be anything to worry about.